Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 22:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Only 1 month left for GMAT - consistent poor perfomance

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Only 1 month left for GMAT - consistent poor perfomance [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2010, 16:28
Hi,
I am new on this forum and seeking advice on what should be the right study plan when you only have 1 month left for GMAT.

Here's my brief background on GMAT progress;

Kaplan Cat 1: 410 (3 months back, given as a diagnostic test)
kaplan Cat 2: 500 (2 months back)
Kaplan Cat 3: 510 (~2 months back)
GMAC (gmat.com) Test-1: 540 (1 month back)
Kaplan Cat 4: 510 (2 weeks back)
MGMAT cat 1: 510 (today)

I have finished the following books;
1. Kaplan premier program
2. Princeton review
3. OG-12 (completed almost all questions, quant + verbal)
4. GMAT Pill
5. Currently doing MGMAT (word problem and number properties)

I am extremely disappointed with my performance. Since last 2 months, my score has remained pretty much the same. I don't know whats wrong but its still in early 500s.

I noticed that few questions especially in quant I know how to solve them (I have done them in past) but can't do them on the test. Is that normal to get such consistent poor perfomance even if you are learning new things and questions types?

I only have 1 month left for the exam and not sure what I can do to break that barrier (early 500s). Whats the best strategy in the last month. Should I do new questions (if yes, which book) or just review the ones I have done.

I think my biggest weakness is the speed especially in DS and in RC. I always end up guessing last 8 to 10 questions. For Verbal I was thinking since I anyways get RC wrong I should not spend time in RC and in fact just guess RC and use that time for SC & CR so that at least I get those correct. Is that a good strategy?

I would appreciate if someone can throw some light on my consistent poor performance on these test so that I can work on that.

Pl. help!

Thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 199 [1] , given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Only 1 month left for GMAT - consistent poor perfomance [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2010, 17:37
This post received
KUDOS
it is unfortunate to see this trend but consistency shows generally how your next test will be... It is advised to use MGMAT books and powerscore CR in addition to the OGs - it seems you have some of the books though. Did you do error log to see what type of questions you got stuck on? For the questions you can get in quant but not on the test might be due to timed pressure - try to "turn timer off" on your CATs and see how you do without that pressure.

For quant speed i suggest take the "2 minute" rule - if you are "no where" in 2 minutes then guess and move on. For the verbal strategy it really depends on your goal - if you want 600s then a big MAYBE on the RC strategy IF you can get the SC and CR right - if you cant then it will be a horrible strategy!

So to reiterate your problem:
quant:
taking too much time and apparently cant answer some questions that you *should* be able to answer. To fix it turn timer off and take your time - see if the score increases substantially or not - if it does then you need to work on timing.

Verbal:
You seem to have given up on RC and want to focus on SC and CR. bad idea - you should practice RC a little - at least know the general question types.

Again you need to tell us your target score and your quant/verbal breakdown for more analysis.

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Intern
Intern

Re: Only 1 month left for GMAT - consistent poor perfomance [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2010, 18:36
Thanks shaselai for the response. My target score is ~600 and I usually get 32 in quant and 28 in verbal. I have never used error log. I wasn't aware of this website in my early preparation so haven't used it. I guess its too late to use it now, right?
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2219

Kudos [?]: 8188 [0], given: 3641

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Only 1 month left for GMAT - consistent poor perfomance [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2010, 18:42
Expert's post
hsguest wrote:
Thanks shaselai for the response. My target score is ~600 and I usually get 32 in quant and 28 in verbal. I have never used error log. I wasn't aware of this website in my early preparation so haven't used it. I guess its too late to use it now, right?

You have a whole month left - use the error log; will help you in many ways.
Also, try to read some books - will help with RC; skipping them is pretty much a suicide. See this note: GMAT Fiction.
Also, make sure you follow the strategy from either Kaplan or MGMAT - both work very well. If you answer at least a few more of RC's correct you will be in a much better shape. Every point and question matters - fight for it! Don't give up.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Only 1 month left for GMAT - consistent poor perfomance [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2010, 16:20
Thanks for the responses.
Re: Only 1 month left for GMAT - consistent poor perfomance   [#permalink] 22 Apr 2010, 16:20