Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 00:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Only 600 (Q32, V39) - how to improve quant?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Only 600 (Q32, V39) - how to improve quant? [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2012, 13:32
I wrote the GMAT this afternoon for the first time, and though I didn't feel completely ready, I didn't anticipate scoring so low on the quant. My intial GMATprep score was terrible - Q34 and V24 (total 500), though I was admittedly not paying much attention and was extremely tired. I also took the verbal section on that very lightly because I am a little overconfident in my verbal abilities. I didn't expect that I would actually go DOWN in quant...because I felt like I knew NOTHING about quant when I wrote that GMATprep about a month ago.

I have always been decent with English, logic, grammar, and those kinds of things that appear on the verbal section, though from a few quick google searches it seems that this score breakup is very uncommon. I finished the quant section with 20 minutes left (got nervous and rushed through it), and I knew that I had done badly because the last question was ridiculously easy.

I have gone through all the Manhattan books and did many of the questions from the OG Quantitative review, and had particular difficulty with number properties, algebra, and DS questions in general. Can anyone suggest how to remedy my crappy quant score? Will going through the OG really be that beneficial at this point, if I've gone through all Manhattan books + OGquant? Or should I look into doing a course? I'm shooting for a 650 score so if I can get quant up to Q40 while maintaining my verbal, I should be fine. Which is a little embarrasing, as I see that Q40 corresponds to 56th percentile - I thought that I'd surely be able to achieve that.

Also, a bit of a general question, can someone also explain why so many people are scoring so high in quant (I feel like every thread I read has Q49) and then some much lower verbal? I feel like most people would be better at verbal than math but it seems like that's not the case.

Any help is appreciated.

EDIT: sorry if this is in the wrong section...please move if necessary.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Forum Moderator
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Only 600 (Q32, V39) - how to improve quant? [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2012, 20:05
I think you might need to brush up on your basics in both quant and verbal . I'd suggest you go through the "Foundations of math GMAT " and the "Foundations of verbal GMAT " first . These books will give you a solid base . After that , you I would suggest that you redo all the MGMAT set of 8 strategy guides . Also , when you do the OG questions , make sure you understand why each answer is wrong . DO NOT RUSH THROUGH THE QUESTIONS !! The GMAT is a marathon not a sprint . You have to slowly build up your basics before you move onto more advanced material .
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

Re: Only 600 (Q32, V39) - how to improve quant? [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2012, 11:25
Hi guys,

I have all the Manhatten SGs but I am having difficulties with Combination and rate/time/distance questions.

Can anyone suggest any good book to improve my score in these two topics?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q45 V38
GPA: 2.6
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Electronics)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User CAT Tests
Re: Only 600 (Q32, V39) - how to improve quant? [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2012, 13:00
abhilashaa wrote:
Hi guys,

I have all the Manhatten SGs but I am having difficulties with Combination and rate/time/distance questions.

Hello abhilashaa,

Combination and RTD questions are covered in the Study Guides. Having knew very little about either topic, I believed that the SGs did a great job here. For further study, I would check out the Quant section on the forum and look up specifically those types of questions. Practice, practice, practice.

Don't let a low GPA destroy your dreams of a business education.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

Re: Only 600 (Q32, V39) - how to improve quant? [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2012, 12:30
jxatrillion wrote:
abhilashaa wrote:
Hi guys,

Hello abhilashaa,

Combination and RTD questions are covered in the Study Guides. Having knew very little about either topic, I believed that the SGs did a great job here. For further study, I would check out the Quant section on the forum and look up specifically those types of questions. Practice, practice, practice.

Hi there,

Thanks for suggesting the quant section. I have downloaded them and will start doing them right away.
Re: Only 600 (Q32, V39) - how to improve quant?   [#permalink] 04 Jun 2012, 12:30