Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 07:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Only two weeks left - need guidance!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Only two weeks left - need guidance!! [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2014, 10:51
Hi everyone,

I've been lurker here for months now, read most of your success stories (always in need for that motivational boost) and strategies that some of you had shared. My GMAT journey has not been pleasant one. I already took it twice and my scores were 360 and 340 (last July and November)!! Needless to say, how much of improvement I needed to get to only what I need to get accepted into my "dream school" - 550!

I have just graduated from college with 3.6 GPA so I'm not the dumb one who is unable to understand or learn a concept. At the same time, English is my second language and math was never my strong skill. Hence, low scores!

However, I've been reading a lot of material that some of you posted here, following tips and they did improve my score on practice tests. My resources were OG 12 with Verbal Review and the entire set of Manhattan GMAT books, some Kaplan. I've also gotten access to GMATprepnow and Magoosh (even though videos are almost identical), watched all videos and pretty much done all the practice there.

I've scored following within the past month (taking one exam every 3-4 days):
Manhattan GMAT CAT 1 - 550 ( q37, v29)
Manhattan GMAT CAT 2 - 560 (q35, v32)
Manhattan GMAT CAT 3 - 560 (q66, v31)
Manhattan GMAT CAT 4 - 530 (q35, v29)
GMAT Prep 1 - 510 (q38, v23)

Now, these are really fine (all of you that get over 600, and not to mention 700+ are just masterminds ;)) but I am really concerned if they will closely reflect my official score.

If someone would guide me how to get better in verbal (CR being my weakness) and improve math (work/rate and distance/rate plus probabilities are so hard for me), I would really, really appreciate.

My GMAT was supposed to be on the 6th of February but due to my concern I just rescheduled for the 18th. What can I do/read/follow to improve in these next three weeks? Please, I'm desperate!!!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Affiliations: Economist GMAT Tutor
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 3

Premium Member
Re: Only two weeks left - need guidance!! [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2014, 11:17
Expert's post
The good news is that you know your areas of weakness, so you don't have to waste time covering topics you already know. The topics you listed for the quant section are certainly tackle-able, so why don't you spend a concentrated amount of time on those topics, practicing questions and reviewing your notes from the sections? Your test is nearly a month away now, so perhaps you should hold of on taking sim tests for a couple of weeks and spend time learning only what you need to know.

http://econgm.at/GCfreetrial
For free GMAT practice questions, follow us @econgmat_qs
Economist GMAT Tutor
(866) 292-0660

Intern
Intern

Re: Only two weeks left - need guidance!! [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2014, 06:03
BethEconomistGMAT wrote:
The good news is that you know your areas of weakness, so you don't have to waste time covering topics you already know. The topics you listed for the quant section are certainly tackle-able, so why don't you spend a concentrated amount of time on those topics, practicing questions and reviewing your notes from the sections? Your test is nearly a month away now, so perhaps you should hold of on taking sim tests for a couple of weeks and spend time learning only what you need to know.

It seems a plan to me. Thanks Beth!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 7

Re: Only two weeks left - need guidance!! [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2014, 22:32
I would suggest that you go through the Official guide and review guides for both verbal and quant for the next 10 days or so. As soon as you spot something that you don't know the theory of, go back to the MGMAT guides or whatever you prefer and get that sorted there and then and after that move on to next questions.

The questions in the OG are simple as compared to other prep tests and should put you on track to get a 550. If I were you I would be slightly concerned with a 510 on GMAT prep 1 since your target score is 550. By now, since you might have already seen some of the GMAT prep questions ideally you may want to score close to 600 to guarantee a score in 550 range on the real GMAT...I would say unless you can confidently say that you've done all that you could to grasp all the Manhattan content think hard about whether you are rushing into the test. It might be a bitter pill to swallow but it will be for the good.

I'd be willing to help you with your prep for free if you'd like.

All the best.

Paras.

If you found my post helpful give KUDOS!!! Everytime you thank me but don't give Kudos, an Angel dies!

My GMAT Debrief:

I am now providing personalized one to one GMAT coaching over Skype at a nominal fee. Hurry up to get an early bird discount! Send me an IM to know more.

Intern
Intern

Re: Only two weeks left - need guidance!! [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2014, 14:29
soods26 wrote:
I would suggest that you go through the Official guide and review guides for both verbal and quant for the next 10 days or so. As soon as you spot something that you don't know the theory of, go back to the MGMAT guides or whatever you prefer and get that sorted there and then and after that move on to next questions.

The questions in the OG are simple as compared to other prep tests and should put you on track to get a 550. If I were you I would be slightly concerned with a 510 on GMAT prep 1 since your target score is 550. By now, since you might have already seen some of the GMAT prep questions ideally you may want to score close to 600 to guarantee a score in 550 range on the real GMAT...I would say unless you can confidently say that you've done all that you could to grasp all the Manhattan content think hard about whether you are rushing into the test. It might be a bitter pill to swallow but it will be for the good.

I'd be willing to help you with your prep for free if you'd like.

All the best.

Soods26 thanks so much for your input! I've done most of the OG problems but still there are some to improve on. I'll definitely take your advice and focus on more problematic ones until I figure them out. Thanks again!!
Re: Only two weeks left - need guidance!!   [#permalink] 27 Jan 2014, 14:29