Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 20:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Operations and MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Operations and MBA [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2007, 15:54
Hi guys,
Is there anybody with an operations background applying to an MBA? Do you know if such unglamorous jobs stand a chance anyway?
My depression is not leaving me :roll:
Thanks
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2007, 18:51
I have an operations background (supply chain, lately). And I have made it into 3 very nice schools: Kellogg, HBS and Ross (Michigan).

I doesn't matter what pigeonhole you fall into. It's about your particular experiences.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2007, 19:03
wow congratulations, thx for your reply.
You'll be attending HBS I presume? Did you post your profile anywhere? I know I'm nosy :)
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2007, 20:23
What I think is relevant from my profile is:

- My WE is interesting (geographically and in function, as I had the chance to open up an office for my company in a foreign country and I have been promoted to a managing position way before average).
- My GMAT is OK for the schools (close to their average).
- I had interesting and well described leadership stories going back to when I was 20 years old and started an out of town office branch for the family business.
- I have been evaluated in the top10% by my employer for the last 4 years in a row.
- I have solid extras, from playing music to raise funds to helping someone set up his micro business through giving lectures at a couple of different universities and adventure biking in Africa.
- My GPA was not that great, although I did work part time through parts of undergrad (teacher assistance, family business, internships, etc.).
- My Why MBA / why school part of the apps. was well researched and made sense.

I don't buy too much into the whole 770/4.0/6 yrs WE/solid extras profiles. I don't think they provide any clue to admit chances (unless we are considering "GMATwhore schools" for which the 770 alone can mean an almost automatic admit).

Hope it helps. L.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2007, 20:27
impressive profile, congrats again (just increasing my depression but nevermind :lol:)
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2007, 22:33
Lorenzino wrote:
impressive profile, congrats again (just increasing my depression but nevermind :lol:)

Don't. I'm sure you have an interesting bag of experiences as well. :wink:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg School of Management
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 3

[#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2007, 00:57
lepium... interesting profile indeed and congrats on your superb admits ! could you share us your knowledge on the options one has in the operations field after completing an MBA ? how much does it vary based on the the background of the person (i.e non operations bkgnd like engineering, finance etc) ? what are the typical roles that people can take up in operations after an MBA ?
  [#permalink] 08 Apr 2007, 00:57