Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: IE Nov'15
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: IE '15 (M)
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GRE 1: Q163 V170
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Opinions about IE [#permalink]
europebound wrote:
It's all about fit. Rankings are only important up to a point. Everyone knows that IE is a great school with a great reputation. But the culture and curriculum are different from the other top-tier US/UK schools. More dynamic, more entrepreneurial, more collegial, and probably more diverse. Less stuffy for sure. It's an urban campus in a major European city. LBS is probably the only comparable setting. INSEAD/Oxford/Judge etc. will have a very different feel. So will the Barcelona schools (suburban).

Think about your target geography and your target industry. Different schools have different strengths. Think about the kind of culture and learning environment you want. Think of the city/location you want to study. And if you're looking at returning to LatAm, then IE is a pretty obvious choice. If you're looking at moving to the US, the others might have a bit more name recognition than IE. But this changing. Fast.

Finally, the size of the cohort at IE is 400-500, with half in the English track at half in the Spanish. So you're more likely to feel connected to a community here, compared to INSEAD where there are 1000 students per cohort, and half of them will probably move half-way through to complete their program at another campus (Singapore). You may find it harder to make and sustain meaningful relationships, and have a broader but shallower network.

In the end, employers know that IE is easily in the top tier of European schools, so the brand isn't going to make or break your career outcome. The rest is up to you.

Thank you for your kind reply. That´s exactly what I wanted to know.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: IE '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V40
GPA: 2.6
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Hey,
I just started the imba program at IE (canadian, 680, 8yrs, engineering & risk management) and had similar hesitations as you when searching. I have friends that went to Oxford, Cambridge, and Insead and I was afraid of picking the "wrong" school. But when I narrowed the list to one year programs with a focus on entrepreneurship, the list got short... fast.

So I took the leap of faith on the road less travelled and here are my initial impressions.

1. IE is super-legit. It may be an unknown school in North America but it is definitely not so in europe. Other students from Europe look at me like I'm a crazy person when I say IE is not well known in North America.

2. IE is changing rapidly. The program is capitalizing on its growing reputation in NA and is leveraging the international and entrepreneurial aspects very well. For example, the entrepreneurship blew away my already-high expectations.

3. IE is just plain different. Insead and LBS are solid, amazing schools and I'll never try to convince you that IE is better. But the culture is something unique and is something the school is actively seeking to cultivate as a differentiating factor. The diversity is absolutely insane, and we are not all competing for the same wall street jobs. Ferrari is on campus next month along with multinationals based out of countries from around the world. And, if thats your thing, McKinsey is, of course, coming to campus too along with the other big names.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q46 V46
GPA: 2.32
WE:Corporate Finance (Computer Software)
Send PM
muunkky wrote:
Hey,
I just started the imba program at IE (canadian, 680, 8yrs, engineering & risk management) and had similar hesitations as you when searching. I have friends that went to Oxford, Cambridge, and Insead and I was afraid of picking the "wrong" school. But when I narrowed the list to one year programs with a focus on entrepreneurship, the list got short... fast.

So I took the leap of faith on the road less travelled and here are my initial impressions.

1. IE is super-legit. It may be an unknown school in North America but it is definitely not so in europe. Other students from Europe look at me like I'm a crazy person when I say IE is not well known in North America.

2. IE is changing rapidly. The program is capitalizing on its growing reputation in NA and is leveraging the international and entrepreneurial aspects very well. For example, the entrepreneurship blew away my already-high expectations.

3. IE is just plain different. Insead and LBS are solid, amazing schools and I'll never try to convince you that IE is better. But the culture is something unique and is something the school is actively seeking to cultivate as a differentiating factor. The diversity is absolutely insane, and we are not all competing for the same wall street jobs. Ferrari is on campus next month along with multinationals based out of countries from around the world. And, if thats your thing, McKinsey is, of course, coming to campus too along with the other big names.

Thanks for the info. If you were looking to move back to NA post-graduation, would that change your opinion?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hegemon wrote:
Look for a school that is most appropriate for YOU! Such schools like IE, INSEAD and LBS are comparable only to a certain grade. Your descision has to depend on your targets and your possibilities.

In my special situation I picked IE. Despite the possibility to go for INSEAD. LBS, Oxford, Cambridge as well as famous US schools have never been interesting for me due to diiiferent reasons.

Hegemon,

Be great to chat with you after your decision to go with IE. I have my interview with them in a couple weeks, and the school looks great and everything I'm looking for in an MBA. I hear some mixed results from alumni etc about the placements post grad. I get the feeling that lots of the negative feedback is coming from students that don't have the work permits or language skills to work in the EU region because the full reports from the school and other sources are very positive. I have both american and italian passports, so working in both regions is possible. According to the reports, the school has great exposure to jobs in both regions. My spanish is good, but not perfect (one of the other reasons why I really like this program, to get it perfect).

Anyways, again, you can read all the reports you want but talking with someone in the program or recent grad is best. Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: IE '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V40
GPA: 2.6
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
thefinancelady wrote:
Thanks for the info. If you were looking to move back to NA post-graduation, would that change your opinion?

I have a standing job offer in North America (canada oil and gas) because I'm going to IE. More and more canadians are going to IE because Canadians like being "global", so the rep in Canada is growing. I am not sure about USA, however there are a LOT of americans at IE this year (40 or so in my intake), compared to previous years this is high which suggests the rep is growing in USA.

Most people I talk to are planning to work "abroad" before going back to NA, but I'm sure there are some that are planning to go back home.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Dear All,

Again thank you all for the inside about the school. I got the admission letter this week.

Anyone joining in NOV 2014 intake?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
benja333 wrote:
Dear All,

Again thank you all for the inside about the school. I got the admission letter this week.

Me - I'll see you in Nov '14
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Excellent!!

From where? Im Chilean.

forteology wrote:
benja333 wrote:
Dear All,

Intern
Intern
Send PM
California - Just south of Los Angeles in Newport Beach.

I am 98% sure I going to IE. I'm currently going through the loan process and want to make sure I get approved for the amount I need for the 13 month program.

Have you started looking for a place or know when you are going to arrive in Spain?

forteology wrote:
benja333 wrote:
Dear All,

[/quote]
Intern
Intern
Send PM
The same here....
I will apply for a loan here in chile.. is not an easy task.

You are applying for a Loan at this time? At IE they told me to do it no earlier than 3 moth before the program start. The same goes here in chile.

I´ve been in spain a couple of times. Is a wonderful city. My girlfriend will arrive early because she will do a master in psicology. I think she will have to search for an apartment.

I will probably arrive at mid-oct.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
benja333 wrote:
The same here....
I will apply for a loan here in chile.. is not an easy task.

You are applying for a Loan at this time? At IE they told me to do it no earlier than 3 moth before the program start. The same goes here in chile.

I´ve been in spain a couple of times. Is a wonderful city. My girlfriend will arrive early because she will do a master in psicology. I think she will have to search for an apartment.

I will probably arrive at mid-oct.

I am applying for a loan to make sure I can get one for the amount I need. I'll probably let the loan application lapse and apply again closer to the date of my arrival but I want to make sure before I inform the other schools that I will not be attending. When I sit down with my wife and review where I have been accepted, we can weigh IE vs. the other schools and make sure it makes sense on all levels. I just want to be absolutely sure since it may be impossible for my wife to get a job in Spain so we would both be not working while I'm in school.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
totally agree

to what other school did you applied?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
U of Maryland, USC (local), UC Irvine (local) are the other 3 schools I applied to.

My wife has a good job here so if we leave she would be giving that job up. Such a tough decision.

benja333 wrote:
totally agree

Intern
Intern
Send PM
forteology wrote:
U of Maryland, USC (local), UC Irvine (local) are the other 3 schools I applied to.

My wife has a good job here so if we leave she would be giving that job up. Such a tough decision.

benja333 wrote:
totally agree

i understand completely. Is very difficult to leave everything to pursue an MBA. but from what you just told me, IE is far better recognize than the others that you named. I wanted to apply to IMD and INSEAD also (i was searching just one year), but because of my girlfriend and that she wanted a master also (she don`t speak english), i decided to go to IE.

I wish you the best of luck in your decision, but keep in mind that this is one opportunity in a lifetime :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I totally agree. I have my mind set. I just have to convince the wifey.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
benja333 wrote:
Dear All,

I'll be there this November assuming that loans come through.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Viator from which country?

Viator wrote:
benja333 wrote:
Dear All,

I'll be there this November assuming that loans come through.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts