Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 07:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Opinions: Last Minute Job Offer vs Matriculating Next Month

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton R2 (Int), Columbia (Ding), Kellogg R2, Duke R2 (Int)
WE 1: International Development (2 years)
WE 2: Ibanking (3.5 years)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 3

Opinions: Last Minute Job Offer vs Matriculating Next Month [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2012, 09:19
I'm seeking opinions from fellow bschool types. Long story short, I'm 30 with a background in ibanking and pe at a small boutique firm. I will be matriculating to a Ross/Duke/Darden school next month. Post school, I ideally want to get back into PE but realize that is super hard so maybe consulting or something finance related (equity research?? as I'm looking to avoid ibanking hours).

Anyway, I've been working as a consultant in a corp dev capacity doing some internal M&A and capital raises for an energy company before school. The location is awesome in many respects but also very very isolated. To entice me not to go to school, I was offered a VP of Corp Dev position and much higher than average MBA starting salaries. There are some serious questions of concern in terms of the company's long term strategy and leadership that are scaring me but nonetheless its high paying with a good title. Also, I'm worried that even though its a good title, that I'd struggle to get future jobs without the MBA. I'm pretty torn what to do.

I'd like to hear what other people in this board would do given a similar situation.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q44 V46
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.49

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 85

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Opinions: Last Minute Job Offer vs Matriculating Next Month [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2012, 09:48
Why don't you defer or possibly consider an executive MBA instead?

Glad I Retook: 730 (Q44 V46) to 760 (Q50 V44)

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 4

Re: Opinions: Last Minute Job Offer vs Matriculating Next Month [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2012, 18:36
This post received
KUDOS
You gotta figure first if this is the career you want and what you would like to do post-MBA. The fact that you are torn between spending 2 years in a FT MBA program and a new position at work shows that both options are comparable and that you are prepared to consider giving up place at those 3 schools to stay on in your job. Based on the facts that you were offered a place at several top MBA programs and that your company was willing to bend over backward in order to keep you attest to your ability to make an impact wherever you are and in whatever you choose to do. Honestly, if I were you, I'd accept the promotion, stay on the job, and discuss with the company other options that would allow me to pursue an MBA, such as doing it part-time (and possibly, sponsored fully by the company). You could also apply to 1-year program or an EMBA at some top schools. I seriously don't think you will have any problems getting into most programs you want to apply to. Ross/Duke/Darden are good schools but still, they are not your H/S/W. Do you think it's worth giving up a job with good prospects and attend school for 2 years? Think about the ROI and your career aspirations 5, 10, 20 years down the road. And after you have decided, move on : ) I hope this piece of advice helps. Would kill to be in your position! :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 27

Re: Opinions: Last Minute Job Offer vs Matriculating Next Month [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2012, 07:23
Given a background in IB/PE and a desire to move into PE, I would take up the promotion offer, work on the sidelines to get an EMBA after a few years (or a great PT MBA immediately) and network my way into higher circles..I'm just not seeing the value of investing the time & money in a Ross/Duke/Darden MBA in your case (with the limited information available)..

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton R2 (Int), Columbia (Ding), Kellogg R2, Duke R2 (Int)
WE 1: International Development (2 years)
WE 2: Ibanking (3.5 years)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 3

Re: Opinions: Last Minute Job Offer vs Matriculating Next Month [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2012, 11:11
Thanks for responses. Just as a point of clarification, I'm located on a random island with a population of sub 50k 4 hours away from the continental US (I am not from here and like I said went here randomly for a short term project). So that is a huge factor. When I wrote very isolated I wasn't specific. So while the job is an interesting proposition, living in the middle of no where on a small island is a huge downside. As the above people mentioned, EMBAs, networking etc is out of the question.
Director
Director
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 249

Re: Opinions: Last Minute Job Offer vs Matriculating Next Month [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2012, 14:02
Sounds like a good thing to me, I'd stick with it.

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 27

Re: Opinions: Last Minute Job Offer vs Matriculating Next Month [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2012, 20:20
ke18sb wrote:
Thanks for responses. Just as a point of clarification, I'm located on a random island with a population of sub 50k 4 hours away from the continental US (I am not from here and like I said went here randomly for a short term project). So that is a huge factor. When I wrote very isolated I wasn't specific. So while the job is an interesting proposition, living in the middle of no where on a small island is a huge downside. As the above people mentioned, EMBAs, networking etc is out of the question.

Makes much more sense now..

If you take up the promotion and foresee being 'stuck' on the island for another 5-10 years, then I would go with the MBA. If you can get the promotion and find a way out of isolation within 3-5 years, I would take the promotion and get an EMBA once you're back on the mainland..

Either way you have great options! Good luck!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Opinions: Last Minute Job Offer vs Matriculating Next Month [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2012, 22:02
Which excites you more - the job or MBA?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Opinions: Last Minute Job Offer vs Matriculating Next Month [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2012, 20:43
would kill to be in your position!

why not just defer for another year?

GOAL: 7xx

Re: Opinions: Last Minute Job Offer vs Matriculating Next Month   [#permalink] 19 Jul 2012, 20:43