Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:35 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 242 [0]
 Q48  V34
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Re: Opinions on AGSM - now Australian School of Business (ASB) [#permalink]
trahul4 wrote:
This is a good news. I think if Australia relaxes PR/ immigration rules a little bit then I can see lot many applications to AGSM and MBS.

https://www.workpermit.com/news/2008-05- ... places.htm
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:LBS '11
Send PM
Great thread! I've been looking at AGSM as I would like to work in Australia post-MBA, but have thought about some of the European schools as well.

As an American, I'm still in a dilemma as to which route I should take. The European schools seem to be better regarded in the States (in case my Australia plans don't work out), but I feel AGSM would be the best path to making my goals of living in Australia much more realistic (I studied in Brisbane before, and really want to move back!).

Dream schools would be LBS or INSEAD, but that will probably be a tough shot for me regardless (I have a good GMAT but a really low GPA). I guess I'll end up applying to both continents and see where I make it through!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
LBS has an active exchange program with AGSM. I got an email straight after my admit to LBS informing me of LBS students who'd be in Sydney on exchange (and that I should get in touch with them). So, you can move either ways. I'd say that as an American, you'd bring something different to AGSM (who primarily get Australia/New Zealand/Asia applicants). Its a great school and a tremendous lifestyle (five minutes from Coogee beach). Probably the best weather among all b-schools in the world (UCLA and Stanford folks may disagree).

Good luck.
Current Student
Send PM
Yep, the potential exchange for Australia (especially in terms of recruiting) is a major factor for the European schools I'm looking at, and a specific reason for LBS being tops. Though I figure INSEAD through Singapore might have some opportunities for Australia as well, hopefully...I just gotta practice my secondary-school Japanese to pass their entry exam. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I am seriously considering doing the AGSM Executive MBA. Being ranked no. 1 in Australia by FT for 7 consecutive years, 23 worldwide in 2006 and 44 in 2007 speaks a lot for itself. However, I have also noted that it is sorely missing from FT's 2008 EMBA Rankings and the recent FT 2009 Rankings are for the full time MBA. Could anyone shed some light on what's happened with AGSM's EMBA? I know choosing which B-sch to go to should not just be based on rankings but it is nonetheless a factor to be considered. Thanks!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
mbaprospect AGSM has now been renamed to ASB --> Australian School of Business. That may have caused some confusion. ASB has actually gained in rankings and is now 33rd in the FT2009 full time MBA rankings (a solid show IMHO).

mbaprospect wrote:
I am seriously considering doing the AGSM Executive MBA. Being ranked no. 1 in Australia by FT for 7 consecutive years, 23 worldwide in 2006 and 44 in 2007 speaks a lot for itself. However, I have also noted that it is sorely missing from FT's 2008 EMBA Rankings and the recent FT 2009 Rankings are for the full time MBA. Could anyone shed some light on what's happened with AGSM's EMBA? I know choosing which B-sch to go to should not just be based on rankings but it is nonetheless a factor to be considered. Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bsd_lover wrote:
mbaprospect AGSM has now been renamed to ASB --> Australian School of Business. That may have caused some confusion. ASB has actually gained in rankings and is now 33rd in the FT2009 full time MBA rankings (a solid show IMHO).
Quote:

Hi bsd lover. Yes, I am awere of the name change and that ASB was ranked 32 in FT 2009 full time MBA rankings. However, I'm looking at the EMBA programme and found it odd that the EMBA was completely not on FT's 2008 EMBA rankings. Btw, it was already recognised as ASB in FT's 2007 EMBA rankings, so it appears quite unlikely that not being ranked was the result of confusion. Thanks anyway :-)
Current Student
Send PM
ASB's Employment Report for 2008 is now out. Check out the offer someone got in Chemicals/Petroleum/Mining in the Middle East! :shock:

https://www2.agsm.edu.au/agsm/web.nsf/At ... _final.pdf
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General
 Q50  V37
Send PM
I am planning to apply for Jan'10.Could somone shed some light on visa issues,loans, schols etc.How good wud be the program for someone like me with 6yrs exp in telecom domain and a GMAT 720.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Hi Guys,
The information provided above is very useful and thanks a lot all of you for efforts in collating the info. I am planning to apply to ASB for MBA finance and it would be very much appreciable if anybody can evaluate my profile.

Work experience: 3.7 years in project/programme management, Portfolio governance and management, Business architecture and excellence
Acads : 3.2 GPA
Extra Curricular : Strong extra curricular activities during college (drama, sports, film making, event management etc.) and decent community service (don't have certificates though to prove Social services experience )

I have resigned recently and will focus on financial services internships and certifications to justify my choice of MBA finance ( Which I guess a bit difficult to do :? ).
I am planning to take GMAT in April sometime and expecting a score of around 700.

Please let me know areas where I should improve my profile.

Thanks in advance. Cheers... :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Technology
Schools: AGSM '20 (A)
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 4
Send PM
trahul4 wrote:
thanks a lot financeguy for posting good info on this school .. I think you can now joib bsd_lover as an Aussie expert :-)

How do you all view the AGSM/MBS regular MBA now ?

Is a GMAT 650 from India worth it for these programs ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
We have an immigration company in Australia and wwe deals with the all kind VISAS.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72877 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived AGSM Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our AGSM Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated AGSM Forum for all fresh things related to the AGSM MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts