Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 18:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Opinions on Bachelors -> Ph.D in Accounting

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Opinions on Bachelors -> Ph.D in Accounting [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 09:10
Hello everyone!

I was wondering what the general concensus was on attempting to enter an Accounting Ph.D program directly from undergraduate studies, and if the concensus is positive, appropriate universities to consider? I'll post my profile, and hopefully that will help you better assess whether I should consider going straight for the Ph.D (which is my eventual goal, I KNOW I want to teach and do research).

Southeast Missouri State University (I know its an unknown university, can't be helped; I'm ridiculously poor)
  • Accounting major, Computer Science Minor
  • 3.7 overall GPA, 4.0 major GPA
  • Will be graduating with Honors and with an Academic Distinction
  • Served as service chair for our Beta Alpha Psi chapter
  • Activities Chair for the Honors college

I am in the process of conducting undergraduate research (which will hopefully get published), which was conducted with the Dean of the business college and another faculty member
(Development and analysis of a probabilistic approach vs. a fuzzy-neuro approach in fraud risk assessment)

I have received letters of recommendations from:
  • Dean of the College of Business
  • Chair of the Honors College
  • Chair of the Accounting Department

I have also worked as an IT Audit & Data Analysis Intern at a CPA firm in St. Louis for a summer. I will be CPA eligible upon graduation.

I have not yet taken the GMAT, but I have taken the GRE already and received a 163/164/5.5 (verbal/quant/analytical writing) without studying for it, so I think I will score well. If anyone has advice on whether or not I should go straight for it, please feel free to comment. (Also, any university recommendations would be fantastic). My research interests lie with quantitative methods, audit, and fraud. Thank you all so much!

- Ozy
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Followers: 312

Kudos [?]: 2626 [0], given: 697

Re: Opinions on Bachelors -> Ph.D in Accounting [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2013, 07:12
Expert's post
I'm not quite sure what you mean

I suggest you to do how I do: based on you research interests you can see the best schools that fit with them.

For instance: if you want to go to a particular BS see if for the PhD in accounting the same school treath the same interests of you, or if have the expertise that overlapp with your interest seeing things such as: the courses during the 4 years or the faculty memebers if there is some professor that have your same research interest and so on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Un ... l_rankings

See each schools that fit with your interests or is near your area: if you live in boston maybe you have no interst to go in california, then search for instance in Dc area or in georgia and so on...

After all I'm sure you will end with a pool of 4 or 5 universities ....so go for them.

Hope this helps :) do not esitate to ask ;)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Re: Opinions on Bachelors -> Ph.D in Accounting   [#permalink] 20 Apr 2013, 07:12