Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 03:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

opinions on MBA option for myself and my profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

opinions on MBA option for myself and my profile [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2013, 00:00
I did my undergrad in math and comp sci and grad school in quantitative finance. I have worked in famous software companies for a couple of years in developer roles, tried to start a large business which eventually didnt work even though we did get a fair bit of funding. Post grad school I got into energy trading and I am in a senior role currently on the trade floor. I make about 120K + bonus, these bonuses range from 20-60K.

Now I am trying to understand the purpose of an MBA in my case. I really am keen on doing an MBA since it expands my career choices and allows me to possibly get into Management Consulting or PE. I am 30 years old and so it's important for me to make a call on the direction in which I should proceed now.

When I look at the salaries post MBA, they look kind of low to me, unless I choose a top 5 MBA program it seems that the MBA may not necessarily help me out salary wise. Then I ask myself, am I qualified to get into a top 5 MBA program? Or can I consider rank 10-20 programs and still assume it will help me to get into my career path of choice (MC or PE) and ignore the salaries posted.

If the median base in Stanford is 125K then I feel am not too far off from that. Or is what distinguishes a Stanford MBA guy from me, is it his future earning potential?

What if I don't have spectacular extra curriculars, and I am forced to goto a top 10 to 20 school?
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 516 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: opinions on MBA option for myself and my profile [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2013, 23:29
Expert's post
Hey there dude,
I think many folks would wish to have your problem! Earning so much that they don't know if they should go to Stanford or not... ;)

Well, forget for a second the average salaries, because I don't know how relevant that is in your case (it's also far too rough a number to be useful in any case)... if you look at the in-industry numbers, they might help you a biiiit more, but in reality what would help you most is to think about where YOU might go with your position and experience. You probably know this better than me, as you know your industry far better than I do. The question I would ask myself (and research through friends, linkedin, Internet profiles) is what do people like you do when they leave business school? Where do they go? How much do they make?

At any rate, I highly doubt that going to a top 10 program would be a waste of time. (and even a non top 10 school that is great in Energy can be fantastic). But it all depends on your goals - what knowledge you want to gain, where you want to move to, etc. etc. Who knows, maybe with a good B-school education, the next time you try and start a business, you will have more tools and more contacts to help you succeed?

But whatever the case, the network you gain in going to a school like Stanford is invaluable and incalculable even if you were to return to a similar job with a similar salary (what is the value of prestige? the social value of a top degree? the value, personal and professionals with working with the most brilliant, innovative and successful people of your generation?)

I don't really know enough about you yet to say where you might or might not get in (feel free to leave me more info, and I can advise there, if you like), but let's say for the moment that lack of volunteer work, although not fantastic is not an application-killer (like a bad education or uninteresting job might be).

Hope these thoughts help you get started, and if you have any comments, questions, disagreements, whatevers, just shoot...

Peace,
JF

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!