Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 22:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Opinions on tutors?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 8

Reviews Badge
Opinions on tutors? [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2012, 12:54
Anybody have opinions or advice on using/getting a tutor?

Some background info:

I'll be taking my GMAT in 3-4wks for the third time. Self studied the last times via Princeton review book and scored 640 latest score. Last time I took GMAT was 5yrs ago so I'm pretty much starting fresh with a set of Veritas books and OG13 this time around, and I'm looking at options to switch things up.

I considered a class, but I've been told that since I have the Veritas books already it's a solid set to work with (providing one has discipline to self study). So that brings me to a tutor - I'm unsure of the value of a tutor, but would use one if there is value in one beyond my self study and the forums.

As with many people, I'm aiming for 700+ so want to make sure I use precious time most effectively..!
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

Re: Opinions on tutors? [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2012, 17:01
Getting a tutor can either be a wonderful or a frustrating experience. When hiring a tutor, you have to be very active in your own progress. You need to be very specific about what your issues are and what things are causing you problems. Also, a tutor can't read your mind so you have to give them feedback whether their teaching strategies are working for you and are they focusing on the right content.

Also, as with all relationships, some relationships with tutors work well and some do not. If you and your tutor are not on the same page, then find a new tutor. At Manhattan Review, we realize the importance of this and continually ask our clients if their relationship is working. If it is not, then we work to transition to a new tutor. Since time is usually of the essence, wasted time serves nobody.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Re: Opinions on tutors?   [#permalink] 04 Nov 2012, 17:01