Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 01:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Opportunities for freshers after giving GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Opportunities for freshers after giving GMAT [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 09:55
I am a final year student pursuing B.E in information and technology from Mumbai university (India) with an aggregate of 57%. Can someone please share the kind of opportunities available for a fresher without job experience after giving GMAT.?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.54
WE: Operations (Retail Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 33 [1] , given: 3

Re: Opportunities for freshers after giving GMAT [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2013, 21:37
This post received
KUDOS
piyush272 wrote:
I am a final year student pursuing B.E in information and technology from Mumbai university (India) with an aggregate of 57%. Can someone please share the kind of opportunities available for a fresher without job experience after giving GMAT.?

Hello!

I completely understand your position. In my final year of undergrad, I was thinking of doing an MBA without work experience. So, I went to a few MBA fairs and the like in my region, and virtually everyone told me the same thing:
"Wait until you have a few years under your belt, and then we'll talk."

Two years down the line, I completely understand that viewpoint. First off, entering the workplace full-time will always bring about a plethora of new experiences that you simply wouldn't have had otherwise. These experiences are critical if you want to get the most out of your MBA. Lots of the courses are designed around the fact that, in any given classroom at one of the top-20 programs, there will be people from all over the world who, collectively, have seen and done it all. Schools rely on this exchange of ideas and experience in order to better educate their future grads. For your own sake, and for the sake of those who will be in your program, it is better to have at least two years of experience, in my humble opinion.

Naturally, there are exceptions to every rule, but two or three years will always make a very big difference in your readiness to embark upon such a program.

Remember - schools want more than a solid academic record; they want work experience, extra-curriculars, a good dose of maturity, and vision for the future. Lacking any one of these could make the difference between getting into a top program and not getting into b-school at all.

My advice is to focus on finding a good job, with good prospects and challenging responsibilities. Then, you'll be sure of what you want to do in the future, and where your interest lies.

Best of luck!
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 129

Kudos [?]: 648 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Opportunities for freshers after giving GMAT [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 10:02
Expert's post
I hope you are not aiming for MBA straight after your graduation. I shall say, indirectly there are lot of opportunities. Since you are still in study mode, so probably sitting for 3 hours and studying tedious verbal will not be a big problem for you. In addition to the mentioned advantage, the most important aspect for taking the GMAT without experience is that you can get rid of one of the requirements in the admission process. Once this is done, then you can concentrate on other aspects, thus increasing your chances.
Lets see what others have got to say.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 414 [0], given: 245

Premium Member
Re: Opportunities for freshers after giving GMAT [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2013, 05:39
Expert's post
If by opportunities you mean job opportunities, you can get whatever job you can get -- coming straight out of university, it doesn't matter if you've taken the GMAT yet or not, your internship and class experience speak for themselves on your resume.

Taking the GMAT just prepares you for future business school applications.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Opportunities for freshers after giving GMAT   [#permalink] 10 Feb 2013, 05:39