Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Optional essay no longer accepted (Stanford & HBS)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Optional essay no longer accepted (Stanford & HBS) [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2012, 10:58
Hi,

I was planning to write a wonderful 400-word optional essay addressing an unemployment gap, when I noticed that Stanford and Harvard do not accept optional essays.

Both schools have a section to include additional information, but Stanford's form explicitly states "Do not include essays", and Harvard's form is limited to 500 characters.

So it seems that optional essays are no longer accepted. What would you recommend to address my unemployment gap in the application?

Thanks!
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Optional essay no longer accepted (Stanford & HBS) [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2012, 13:37
templar11 wrote:
Hi,

I was planning to write a wonderful 400-word optional essay addressing an unemployment gap, when I noticed that Stanford and Harvard do not accept optional essays.

Both schools have a section to include additional information, but Stanford's form explicitly states "Do not include essays", and Harvard's form is limited to 500 characters.

So it seems that optional essays are no longer accepted. What would you recommend to address my unemployment gap in the application?

Thanks!

I think most people over analyze the purpose of the optional essay. It needs to be very concise. 400 is generally way too long for something like that. I imagine that if you try, you could explain your situation in 500 characters (~100 words) or less.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Optional essay no longer accepted (Stanford & HBS)   [#permalink] 11 Aug 2012, 13:37