Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 22:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Optional Essay topics

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Optional Essay topics [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2005, 20:59
Hey guys,
So below is the link where I have my profile which you guys kindly evaluated. I am pretty much finished with all the application except the optional essay part and there are a few things I would like to address in this essay including why I left graduate school in chemistry w/o a PhD and my personal struggle with bipolar. I will essentially say that these won't be issues in b-school but rather experiences that I have overcome and I will leverage to add to the diversity of the class. As you can see from my stats I have a 3.0 GPA in chemistry (undergraduate and graduate) with a 670 (48Q, 34V) in my GMAT. Do I also need to address my GPA? My GPA my first two years is 3.0 and my second two years is a 3.1 so really not much of a difference to talk about and I'm thinking that my GMAT is not stellar enough to use to counterbalance my GPA, right? The only real reasons for my mediocre GPA was really my lack of maturity, an aspect I significantly improved after I was diagnosed and beat bipolar. I am not sure I can say much else about it.

I have taken a Berkeley Extension class in accounting while working and recieved an A- and I have signed up for a Corporate Finance class which I will have completed prior to matriculation. I plan to mention these as evidence that I am serious about B-school should I also mention that I will use these to boost my low GPA, considering that these are two classes they will have a minimal effect on my GPA?

Thanks for your input and happy holidays (This greeting is not meant to instigate the "War on Christmas" :-D )

FYI in my profile post I mentioned 5 schools I was intersted in applying to, I cut the list down to two, Fuqua and Anderson. I recognize that this is a very risky move but I really felt that with my schedule I could only put quality time into two applications, anymore and I felt I would sacrifice the quality of my app. Also I really LOVE these two schools, and they fit my goals perfectly!

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... ht=#115524

"No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2005, 12:06
Expert's post
I'm not 100% sure what your question is. :-) But I think that it's okay that you're applying to just two schools. I'm an advocate of choosing quality over quantity, and it looks like that's what you've done, so that's good. Of course, you also just want to be sure that you're comfortable with the outcome if you don't get into one of those two schools.

Re: your GPA and GMAT, your GMAT is fine, but you'e right about it not necessarily outweighing your GPA. Don't dwell on your GPA much, but do use your more recent college courses to address those questions about discipline and maturity.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2005, 08:45
Scott,
My initial post was much shorter but I felt that I needed to add more information. You answered my question mostly, which (for your FYI) was "Is my GPA a weakness I need to address in my optional essay, or is it something that doesn't call attention to it itself, so I should leave alone?" I basically decided to do what you said and focus on classes I have taken and plan on taking prior to matriculation, hopefully that works!

I just submitted my Fuqua application yesterday. I don't know whether or not I'm getting in but regardless you, Omari and your guys' book have been phenomenal resources. The advice that you guys have given me directly and indirectly throughout the application process has made me extremely proud of what I have given the admissions committee to review. Thank you guys a lot!

"No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2005, 10:12
Expert's post
Thanks for the kind words! Promise that you'll come back and let us know how you do!

I think you took the right approach re: you GPA. Sometimes applicants get too hung up on trying to explain one weakness, when they have so many other things that they should be emphasizing in their apps. You made the right decision here.

Good luck!
Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews