Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 04:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Or rather how shall I improve my reading? I have done about

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 09-28-2012
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

Or rather how shall I improve my reading? I have done about [#permalink] New post 12 May 2012, 09:38
Or rather how shall I improve my reading?
I have done about 50-60 question of CR. I am able to solve some questions correctly. But time and again, I know my problem.
It is getting involved and understanding the tough questions and long passages. I get frustrated when the clock keeps ticking. In CR, most of the times, I get stuck between two choices and the answer is always the other one :(

Sometimes, when I do not understand the CR argument, my brain keeps repeating it without comprehending anything.
It is exactly like rolling one's eyeballs endlessly at a thing or like a pendulum swings.

How much time is more than enough for a CR question? How does one increase one's speed? I am talking 4 mins on average with errors. I take time to comprehend it completely. I also have to make some notes / diagrams of the question and it is really time consuming.

How is MR? Does it really help you in cracking the tough questions in time?

Thanks!!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: How to improve the critical reasoning? [#permalink] New post 19 May 2012, 03:35
talismaaniac, you are not alone with this problem (when I do not understand the CR argument, my brain keeps repeating it without comprehending anything). Most of us suffer fro the same problem over time.

This is nothing but lack of concentration. If, at first attempt, we don't understand something that is written, we lose our concentration and our mind start wandering here and there while our eyes are still rolling on the text. But because our brain and eyes are not working on the same thing, we don't understand what is written at all.

I am no expert, but we always have advises to give :-).
Fun apart, what I understand we all have to do is to focus on accuracy first and time later.

If you have some time (2-3) months for your GMAT, don't use clock for next 15 days and try to work on questions to increase accuracy. As you practice more and start understanding patterns, your accuracy will increase and than you can start using clock to time your answers.

You can also try to take a break from CR for couple of days and take up SC / RC. And when you come back to CR you would be more refreshed and confident about CRs

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-guide-to-the-official-guide-13-for-gmat-review-134210.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: How to improve the critical reasoning?   [#permalink] 19 May 2012, 03:35