Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 13:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Oracle is more adept than SAP at acquiring companies with a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 32

CAT Tests
Oracle is more adept than SAP at acquiring companies with a [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2012, 08:55
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

72% (02:01) correct 28% (00:53) wrong based on 96 sessions
Oracle is more adept than SAP at acquiring companies with a distinct product line, non overlapping customers, and integrating their management.
A) than SAP at acquiring companies with a distinct product line, non overlapping customers, and integrating their management.
B)than SAP at acquiring companies with a distinct product line and non overlapping customers and integrating their management.
C)at acquiring companies with a distinct product line, non overlapping customers, and integrating their management than SAP.
D)at acquiring companies than SAP is with a distinct product line, non overlapping customers, and integrating their management.
E)than SAP does at acquiring companies with a distinct product line and non overlapping customers and integrating their management.

Need a way to sort out "than" comparisons here along with OE.
Will reveal OA once get apt explanation.

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 75

Re: Dicy one : Oracle is more adept than SAP at acquiring [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2012, 09:20
structure:- X more than Y
Comparison is between two companies -No
Comparison is between the two companies about how they ACQUIRE
does need to be there
E)than SAP does at acquiring companies with a distinct product line and non overlapping customers and integrating their management.
(E) wins

This might be of some use:-
http://www.grammar-quizzes.com/ratherthan.html

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1697 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Dicy one : Oracle is more adept than SAP at acquiring [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2012, 11:05
Expert's post
As I have always said, let us first delve into grammar and eliminate as many wrongs as possible. First to note is that there are two things that Oracle bothers about while acquiring any company. One is targeting companies with a distinct product line and non overlapping customers and 2 then integrating their management. One should not mistake them for three factors and then look for list //ism. As per this simple tenet, we can safely eliminate A, C and D. Now between B and E: The expression Oracle is more adept and SAP does (more adept – understood) does not gel at all as any meaningful syntax. In this case oracle is more adept than SAP is the structure, in which the verb of SAP is elliptical. Therefore, B.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director

Re: Dicy one : Oracle is more adept than SAP at acquiring [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2012, 11:18
daagh wrote:
As I have always said, let us first delve into grammar and eliminate as many wrongs as possible. First to note is that there are two things that Oracle bothers about while acquiring any company. One is targeting companies with a distinct product line and non overlapping customers and 2 then integrating their management. One should not mistake them for three factors and then look for list //ism. As per this simple tenet, we can safely eliminate A, C and D. Now between B and E: The expression Oracle is more adept and SAP does (more adept – understood) does not gel at all as any meaningful syntax. In this case oracle is more adept than SAP is the structure, in which the verb of SAP is elliptical. Therefore, B.

I Agree, but then why we missed (A) ? Please throw some light.

" Make more efforts "

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1697 [1] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Dicy one : Oracle is more adept than SAP at acquiring [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2012, 11:40
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
A) than SAP at acquiring companies with a distinct product line, non overlapping customers, and integrating their management.

A talks of three factors: 1.a distinct product line, 2 non overlapping customers, and 3 integrating their management.There are only two factors , first acquiring and then integrating. The firat one conatins two factors and therefore theyboth should be conjugated by 'and\, which is what B does

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director

Re: Dicy one : Oracle is more adept than SAP at acquiring [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2012, 11:51
daagh wrote:

A talks of three factors: 1.a distinct product line, 2 non overlapping customers, and 3 integrating their management.There are only two factors , first acquiring and then integrating. The firat one conatins two factors and therefore theyboth should be conjugated by 'and\, which is what B does

oh that was better, thanks a ton

" Make more efforts "

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Dicy one : Oracle is more adept than SAP at acquiring [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2012, 00:41
B.
Oracle is more adept than SAP at acquiring companies with a (distinct product line and non overlapping customers) and integrating their management.

parallelism is between "acquiring companies" and "integrating"
AND
between "distinct product line" and "non overlapping customers" .. which are the qualities of companies that Oracle and SAP acquire .
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 172 [0], given: 50

Reviews Badge
Re: Dicy one : Oracle is more adept than SAP at acquiring [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2012, 00:51
Option B: Wins
Here comparison between X & Y is concise and it also maintains the ing parallelism.

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 51

Re: Dicy one : Oracle is more adept than SAP at acquiring [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2012, 02:31
B)than SAP at acquiring companies with a distinct product line and non overlapping customers and integrating their management.

See the different parralel elements marked with different colours .

Very good question .Tests the concepts of parallelism perfectly !!
B is the final answer .

+1 if you like my explanation .Thanks :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 46

Re: Dicy one : Oracle is more adept than SAP at acquiring [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2012, 15:17
daagh wrote:

@daagh - Thanks for the fantastic explanation. B is indeed the right answer.

Cheers!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What you do TODAY is important because you're exchanging a day of your life for it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

CAT Tests
Re: Dicy one : Oracle is more adept than SAP at acquiring [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2012, 12:06
daagh wrote:
As I have always said, let us first delve into grammar and eliminate as many wrongs as possible. First to note is that there are two things that Oracle bothers about while acquiring any company. One is targeting companies with a distinct product line and non overlapping customers and 2 then integrating their management. One should not mistake them for three factors and then look for list //ism. As per this simple tenet, we can safely eliminate A, C and D. Now between B and E: The expression Oracle is more adept and SAP does (more adept – understood) does not gel at all as any meaningful syntax. In this case oracle is more adept than SAP the structure, in which the verb is of SAP is elliptical. Therefore, B.
OA is B. Thanks for lucid discussion.

@daagh... Thanks for alleviating ellipsis confusion for us due to which I selected E :cry: with does in the first attempt.

For my clarity, I am slightly rephrasing your sentence. Let me know if my understanding is correct.
oracle is more adept than SAP is the structure, in which the verb is of SAP is elliptical.

I hope both the choices below will be correct if available:
F)than SAP is at acquiring companies with a distinct product line and non overlapping customers and integrating their management.

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS MIF '14
GMAT 1: Q V0
WE: Business Development (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Oracle is more adept than SAP at acquiring companies with a [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2012, 08:01
I didn't pick B because I thought that the answer choice misses a comma before the second 'and'. Isn't the comma necessarily here? Thanks

Last edited by EV on 02 Oct 2012, 09:10, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
WE 1: IT Consultant (6Yr)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 5

Re: Oracle is more adept than SAP at acquiring companies with a [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2012, 08:34
Hi,

I will try to take a shot here

Oracle is more adept than SAP at two things

acquiring companies with a distinct product line, non overlapping customers, and
integrating their management.

Now as per the Option A parallelism has been drawn such that it seems there are three thing happening
acquiring companies with a distinct product line
non overlapping customers
integrating their management

This is not correct

Now as per option B

Oracle is more adept than SAP at
at acquiring companies with a distinct product line and non overlapping customers
integrating their management

Hence the correct ||'ism and correct option.

Now as per option C

at acquiring companies with a distinct product line, non overlapping customers, and integrating their management than SAP

This is relatively straight-forward.An incorrect comparison.

Now as per option D with a distinct product line, non overlapping customers, and integrating their management is a prep. modifier modifying SAP which is incorrect

Now as per option E

than SAP does at acquiring companies with a distinct product line and non overlapping customers and integrating their management.

Here the intended meaning is not clear as to what SAP does ?

@ EV : i think comma is not required in option B as the ||'ism has been drawn between two things (i.e acquiring and integrating) that Oracle does.

This is a nice question :)Thanks joshnsit

Pls correct me here if i'm wrong

Thanks
Jatin
Manager
Manager
WE: Design (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 40

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Oracle is more adept than SAP at acquiring companies with a [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2012, 08:51
shouldn't there be a comma before the second AND?

Kaustubh

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

CAT Tests
Re: Oracle is more adept than SAP at acquiring companies with a [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2012, 04:47
mehtakaustubh wrote:
shouldn't there be a comma before the second AND?
Not necessary. Comma is stylistically required if there is an independent clause after "and", which is not the case after second "and" here as it is a phrase after second "and". Though, I would not recommend this approach to cancel out the choices in GMAT. Here is a link which should help:
http://www.grammar-monster.com/lessons/ ... ctions.htm
HTH

Re: Oracle is more adept than SAP at acquiring companies with a   [#permalink] 03 Oct 2012, 04:47