Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 22:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Order of Applications - Which school when?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 25

Order of Applications - Which school when? [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2013, 21:23
Hi all,

I am applying for Full time Fall 2014. The 6 schools I plan to apply to are the following: Booth, Columbia, Wharton, MIT, Kellogg, Yale

I am trying to determine in which order/which round I should apply? Specifically, are there schools that require a decision to be made before the following round decisions come out? For example if I apply to Columbia in the first round and luckily get admitted - will they expect a decision from me before I can apply and get a decision from MIT in the 2nd round?

I am not exactly sure how long you have to make a decision upon acceptance?

(I guess this would be a good problem to have. I am just hoping that I get in somewhere! But, I did want to make sure I knew the answer just in case I find myself in this blessed situation)

Thanks for the help.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Reviews Badge
Re: Order of Applications - Which school when? [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2013, 05:17
Columbia has early decision round, where chances are higher buy you have to commit to enroll if you are accepted.
As for how long do you have to reply after you are accepted, you can probably find the answer on each school website.
Current Student
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 11

Re: Order of Applications - Which school when? [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2013, 11:20
Some advice seems to be to apply to a 'reserve' first, as your applications get better with practice.

Personally, that doesn't make sense to me. I want to work down my list with my top choices in R1. I wouldn't want to put down a deposit for somewhere knowing that you may need get somewhere else you prefer in a later round. I think if you're starting this early you can practice before you submit.

It'd obviously be sensible to check before you put down but with application dates for Rounds *generally* quite similar, I think its safe to say that if you apple for multiple schools in R1 you'd get all your answers before you deposit deadlines.

My blog: http://timbob101.wordpress.com/

Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.25

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 37

Re: Order of Applications - Which school when? [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2013, 11:26
From experience do not apply to your top school first unless you've worked on it extensively. My top school was Wharton and my app was a hot mess. But my essays got better after every school to the point where I applied to Chicago Booth R3 and was accepted. The sweet spot is to apply to your top school 3-4th. This way you can apply lessons from previous applications but you aren't burnt out.
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Order of Applications - Which school when? [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2013, 14:30
I wanted to get it all done and couldn't have imagined splitting it into two rounds. My suggestion is to apply to 3-4 schools in the first round and have 2-3 schools for round 2. One or two should be "back-ups" in case you don't get in anywhere in the first round, and one should be a school that you'd take OVER the ones from the first round. I didn't do it that way, but it sounds like you are having trouble ranking them. Since Columbia is rolling, the earlier the better, but just be sure to get it in by the scholarship deadline if finances at all matter to you.

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 25

Re: Order of Applications - Which school when? [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2013, 20:08
I greatly appreciate the feedback. A lot to think about here.

I don't think I was entirely clear in my opening post. Due to timing, I will at best (though maybe unlikely) be able to apply to 3 schools in the first round. Columbia is rolling I'm aware, but as machichi mentioned, there is a scholarship deadline. Let me put forward a hypothetical: Let us say that I think that Wharton, Columbia, and Booth are all stellar schools and I have them weighted equally. During round 1 I apply to Wharton, Columbia, and Yale. Columbia dings me, but Wharton accepts me. At this point, can I still apply to Booth in round 2 and then wait to hear back from Booth after round 2 to make my decision? Or will Wharton expect an answer and my offer will expire prior to me obtaining a result from Booth?

I apologize if I am missing something obvious.

In regards to when you should apply to your "dream schools", I am torn on this issue. I will need to make that decision soon!

(by the way Timbob you made my day by telling me I am starting early. I am just beginning and feeling tremendously behind.)
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Order of Applications - Which school when? [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2013, 00:02
Your order would be possible, the only snag is that you will need to submit a deposit to a school to hold your spot. Only in rare circumstances will they allow you to hold off making a decision, and even then, it's usually only for a week or so. Basically, you're out of between $2000 and $3000 if you do it that way.

I agree that you are starting early - though indeed, it's never too early! - so you may be underestimating yourself. I applied to all 4 of my schools in one round and am quite grateful I did. Applications get better with time, but there's also burn out to keep in mind. If you put together drafts now, you still have plenty of time to let them sit and revisit them with fresh eyes.

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Order of Applications - Which school when? [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2013, 21:27
I agree with the thought process that you should apply to first choice schools first.

In my experience this year, and it varies with schools, is that the deposit deadline is sometimes negotiable.
Re: Order of Applications - Which school when?   [#permalink] 15 Jul 2013, 21:27