Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 22:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Oregon Vs. UCLA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Oregon Vs. UCLA [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2011, 15:51
Hi , I was wondering which MBA program you thought was better ? Specifically I'd be wanting to concentrate on sports marketing program at OU which is regarded as the best in the nation or I'd either be interested in the anderson school of management's media and entertainment emphasis ?

UCLA seems to be an overall better MBA program , however it seems in the specific niche of sports OU is notorious ...

Side note I was originally looking at MA program in sports marketing at Northwestern , but alot of people are telling me the MBA would be a better choice and make me more flexible in the job market in the long run ?
What are thoughts on this ?
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 86

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Oregon Vs. UCLA [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2011, 20:24
Disclaimer: I know very little about sports marketing careers.

UCLA is a top 15 MBA program and Oregon is generally considered unranked. Although rankings alone don't mean anything, they tend to be based on selectivity and average salaries post-graduation.

UCLA has a median starting salary of $95,000, with 85% of students receiving employment offers no later than 3 months after graduation.
Source: http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/ra ... /ucla.html

Oregon has a median starting salary of $60,000, with only 51% of students employed 3 months after graduation
Source: http://www2.lcb.uoregon.edu/app_aspx/OmbaCareers.aspx

MIT Sloan has a pretty famous sports analytics conference, you may want to check it out: http://www.sloansportsconference.com/

If you'd like to research schools a bit more, I'd recommend checking out our selection of Business School Guides

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Oregon Vs. UCLA [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2011, 21:01
Thank you . I will keep that in mind... I have a while to research and weigh options as I'm only a sophmore undergrad and still in the process of tackling out my lower business prereq classes ... You know all the lame fina accy classes and the cost management stuff and the business stats jibberish... Btw what do you guys think of NIU business school rep at the undergrad ? I'm majoring in marketing with an emphasis in professional sales and interactive marketing . Do you think my school hinders my chances for UCLA ? I'm not too worried about OU

Posted from my mobile device Image
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 86

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Oregon Vs. UCLA [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2011, 11:59
NIUhuskies wrote:
Thank you . I will keep that in mind... I have a while to research and weigh options as I'm only a sophmore undergrad and still in the process of tackling out my lower business prereq classes ... You know all the lame fina accy classes and the cost management stuff and the business stats jibberish... Btw what do you guys think of NIU business school rep at the undergrad ? I'm majoring in marketing with an emphasis in professional sales and interactive marketing . Do you think my school hinders my chances for UCLA ? I'm not too worried about OU

Posted from my mobile device Image

NIU is generally considered one of the better state schools in Illinois for business, but outside of Illinois it's just another state school. To answer your question directly, it will not hinder you chances at UCLA, nor will it increase them. UCLA will be interested in seeing that you've performed well academically (GPA), scored adequately on the GMAT (usually 700+), and made the most of your work experience to seek out leadership opportunities and prepare yourself for your post-MBA career goals. That advice is true for any top business school, but some are more competitive than others.

If you're still a sophomore in undergrad, you should be working with career services to find an internship in sports marketing. The MBA may still play an important role to advance your career within the industry, but you don't need an MBA to start your career.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Oregon Vs. UCLA   [#permalink] 08 Jan 2011, 11:59