Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 22:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Organic farmers are looking for non-chemical methods to rid

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Organic farmers are looking for non-chemical methods to rid [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2005, 07:49
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Organic farmers are looking for non-chemical methods to rid their crops of pests. Giving crops a slight electric shock has no ill effect on crops but rids them of caterpillars. This method should be employed by organic farmers all over the country.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the view that it would not be advisable to try to eradicate agricultural pests with the method mentioned above?

(A) Most species of caterpillar are subject to some natural predators.
(B) Many agricultural pests do not go through a caterpillar stage.
(C) This method also kills insects that are agriculturally beneficial.
(D) Since caterpillars of different species appear at different times of the year, several shocks would be necessary.
(E) No large-scale production facilities exist today for the product that electrifies crops.

HIGHLIGHT BELOW FOR OA:
OA is (C)

Please explain.
I know OG has the same question like this. But isn't (B) more correct? It is relevant with "methods to rid their crops of pests" not "how to have agriculturally beneficial". If "Many agricultural pests do not go through a caterpillar stage", then "rids them of caterpillars" will not happen.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Organic farmers [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2005, 00:30
[quote="qhoc0010"]Organic farmers are looking for non-chemical methods to rid their crops of pests. Giving crops a slight electric shock has no ill effect on crops but rids them of caterpillars. This method should be employed by organic farmers all over the country.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the view that it would not be advisable to try to eradicate agricultural pests with the method mentioned above?

(A) Most species of caterpillar are subject to some natural predators.
(B) Many agricultural pests do not go through a caterpillar stage.
(C) This method also kills insects that are agriculturally beneficial.
(D) Since caterpillars of different species appear at different times of the year, several shocks would be necessary.
(E) No large-scale production facilities exist today for the product that electrifies crops.

I would have gone B becaue the goal was to get rid of pests. In b is true than the method will not help reach the goal of elimiating psts... So confusing... can anyone explain why c
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2005, 07:58
Basically, the question is saying "what would weaken the statement". it is definitely between B and C

C - introduce new premise that show the method has ill effects
B - shift the focsu (narrow the focus) to caterpillar, but it does not help to explain anything.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2005, 08:23
But it said "Organic farmers are looking for non-chemical methods to rid their crops of pests"
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2005, 09:17
(C)..WEll obviously, insect goes through caterpillar stage thus if this approach is going to eliminate caterpillars, then it will also eliminate insects that are benficial to plants.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2005, 09:59
I pick C as my answer. I see a few of you think B is a good answer too. Here is my though: "Because many agricultural pests do not go through a caterpillar stage, it would not be advisable to try to eradicate agricultural pests with the method mentioned above." What about those pests that do go through a caterpillar stage? Obviously B is not convincing enough to pursuade not to use electric shock.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2005, 11:43
Folaa3 wrote:
(C)..WEll obviously, insect goes through caterpillar stage thus if this approach is going to eliminate caterpillars, then it will also eliminate insects that are benficial to plants.

That is not true

12% of insects go through a stage where they are Nymps.... small versions of the adult without going through the stage of being a larvae (catipillar)

http://www.uen.org/utahlink/activities/ ... ty_id=2024

that is a logical explination though
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2005, 13:11
its a tough choice between B and C.
  [#permalink] 10 Jan 2005, 13:11