Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Nov 2014, 06:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Originally developed by ancient Hawaiians, surfing appeals

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 446 [1] , given: 210

Originally developed by ancient Hawaiians, surfing appeals [#permalink] New post 17 May 2008, 06:33
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

33% (01:57) correct 67% (01:57) wrong based on 2 sessions
Originally developed by ancient Hawaiians, surfing appeals to people due to the sport’s unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, an unpredictable backdrop that is, by turns, graceful and serene, violent and formidable, and the camaraderie that often develops among people in their common quest to conquer nature.

a surfing appeals to people due to the sport’s unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, an unpredictable backdrop that is, by turns, graceful and serene, violent and formidable, and the camaraderie that often develops

b surfing’s appeal is its unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, an unpredictable backdrop that is, by turns, graceful and serene, violent and formidable, and the camaraderie that often develops

c surfing’s appeal to people is due to the sport’s unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, an unpredictable backdrop that is, by turns, graceful and serene, violent and formidable, and developing camaraderie

d surfing appeals to people due to the sport’s unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, a backdrop that is unpredictable and that is, by turns, gracefully and serenely violent and formidable, and the camaraderie that often develops

e surfing appeals to people due to their unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, an unpredictable backdrop that is, by turns, graceful and serene, violent and formidable, and the camaraderie that often develops
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 2

Re: SC - Surfing appeal [#permalink] New post 17 May 2008, 07:08
OK I think A creats a run-on error..

i think serenly violent and formidable is the right usage of adjectives..

D is best
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Surfing appeal [#permalink] New post 17 May 2008, 07:15
a surfing appeals to people due to the sport’s unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, an unpredictable backdrop that is, by turns, graceful and serene, violent and formidable, and the camaraderie that often develops
Nothing wrong keep it for time being.

b surfing’s appeal is its unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, an unpredictable backdrop that is, by turns, graceful and serene, violent and formidable, and the camaraderie that often develops.
What is originally developed (Surfing and not Surfing's appeal), so this option is incorrect.

c surfing’s appeal to people is due to the sport’s unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, an unpredictable backdrop that is, by turns, graceful and serene, violent and formidable, and developing camaraderie
What is originally developed (Surfing and not Surfing's appeal), so this option is incorrect.

d surfing appeals to people due to the sport’s unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, a backdrop that is unpredictable and that is, by turns, gracefully and serenely violent and formidable, and the camaraderie that often develops.
Uses "that is" twice and makes "gracefully and serenely violent and formidable" as one combined thing rather than separate items.

e surfing appeals to people due to their unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, an unpredictable backdrop that is, by turns, graceful and serene, violent and formidable, and the camaraderie that often develops
Surfing (singular subject) does not agree with plural pronoun (their unsusal...)

So Answer is A.
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 13

Re: SC - Surfing appeal [#permalink] New post 17 May 2008, 07:40
abhijit_sen wrote:
Nothing wrong keep it for time being.

b surfing’s appeal is its unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, an unpredictable backdrop that is, by turns, graceful and serene, violent and formidable, and the camaraderie that often develops.

d surfing appeals to people due to the sport’s unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, a backdrop that is unpredictable and that is, by turns, gracefully and serenely violent and formidable, and the camaraderie that often develops.
Uses "that is" twice and makes "gracefully and serenely violent and formidable" as one combined thing rather than separate items.

Surfing (singular subject) does not agree with plural pronoun (their unsusal...)

So Answer is A.

Nice!

BSD ... would you reveal the source of these excellent prep questions please?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Surfing appeal [#permalink] New post 17 May 2008, 10:31
Brutal one.
Took me close to 2 min to even eliminate some of the choices.
I choose A.
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 446 [0], given: 210

Re: SC - Surfing appeal [#permalink] New post 17 May 2008, 18:59
Source is MGMAT test 3. I took it yesterday and got this questions wrong. I have the full OE.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 2

Re: SC - Surfing appeal [#permalink] New post 17 May 2008, 19:23
sondenso wrote:
bsd_lover wrote:
Originally developed by ancient Hawaiians, surfing appeals to people due to the sport’s unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, an unpredictable backdrop that is, by turns, graceful and serene, violent and formidable, and the camaraderie that often develops among people in their common quest to conquer nature.

b surfing’s appeal is its unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, an unpredictable backdrop that is, by turns, graceful and serene, violent and formidable, and the camaraderie that often develops

d surfing appeals to people due to the sport’s unusual confluence of adrenaline, skill, and high paced maneuvering, a backdrop that is unpredictable and that is, by turns, gracefully and serenely violent and formidable, and the camaraderie that often develops

I lost the way, I eliminated only E and B

you should eliminate B and C right away.
Hawaiians developed surfing NOT surfing's appeal

'their' in E is wrong. surfing is singular.
'an unpredictable backdrop that is' in A is less wordy than 'a backdrop that is unpredictable and that is' in D.
I will go with A.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 352 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
Re: SC - Surfing appeal [#permalink] New post 17 May 2008, 19:33
saravalli wrote:
you should eliminate B and C right away.
Hawaiians developed surfing NOT surfing's appeal

'their' in E is wrong. surfing is singular.
'an unpredictable backdrop that is' in A is less wordy than 'a backdrop that is unpredictable and that is' in D.
I will go with A

Thanks Saravalli, but I whisper :P with only you that I dont know what "surfing" is! :P

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Last edited by sondenso on 17 May 2008, 19:37, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Surfing appeal [#permalink] New post 17 May 2008, 19:37
Choosing between A, D and E.B and C uses..surfing's which is incorrect.
E has ..'their' which is wrong
out of A and D ,D is wordy so can be eliminated
So my answer is A
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 446 [0], given: 210

Re: SC - Surfing appeal [#permalink] New post 18 May 2008, 03:27
OA is A.

OE :
This sentence contains three parallel elements: “the unusual confluence,” “an unpredictable backdrop,” and “the camaraderie.” Additionally, the introductory modifying phrase “originally developed by ancient Hawaiians” correctly modifies the noun “surfing.”

(A) CORRECT. This choice properly follows rules of parallel construction and uses the introductory phrase to correctly modify the noun “surfing.”

(B) The introductory modifying phrase “originally developed by ancient Hawaiians” incorrectly describes “surfing’s appeal” rather than surfing itself. Additionally, the pronoun “its” has no clear antecedent to refer to.

(C) The introductory modifying phrase “originally developed by ancient Hawaiians” incorrectly describes “surfing’s appeal” rather than surfing itself. Furthermore, the third element of the sentence, “developing camaraderie among people,” is not parallel to the other two elements.

(D) This choice lacks clarity of meaning by stating “a backdrop that is unpredictable and that is, by turns, gracefully and serenely violent and formidable.” The original intent of the sentence is to use the adjectives graceful, serene, violent, and formidable to describe surfing’s “unpredictable backdrop”; this choice improperly separates this into two distinct ideas. Additionally, this choice incorrectly changes the adjectives “graceful” and “serene” to adverbs “gracefully” and “serenely”; thus, the adverbs incorrectly modify the adjectives “violent” and “formidable” rather than the noun “backdrop.”

(E) The plural pronoun “their” incorrectly refers to the plural noun “people,” making it seem that people, rather than surfing, contain the three parallel elements found in the sentence.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Surfing appeal [#permalink] New post 18 May 2008, 19:00
Yay! I got this one right. I picked A. Thanks for the nice post, bsd_lover. BTW, I don't know how to deliver Kudos.. Had I know I would have delivered one for this darn tough question.

Edit: I just learned how to do the Kudos and delivered one to you without a delay. Thanks for sharing these interesting questions.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 29

Re: SC - Surfing appeal [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2010, 10:00
somewhere I read that "due to" should be replaced by "caused by" and not by "because of". Is my understanding correct? If so, the above answer has an inherent error. Please clarify.
Re: SC - Surfing appeal   [#permalink] 19 Sep 2010, 10:00