Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 13:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Originally developed for detecting air pollutants, a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Originally developed for detecting air pollutants, a [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2005, 11:01
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Originally developed for detecting air pollutants, a technique called proton-induced x-ray emission, which can quickly analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it, is finding uses in medicine, archaeology, and criminology.
(A) Originally developed for detecting air pollutants, a technique called proton-induced x-ray emission, which can quickly analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it,
(B) Originally developed for detecting air pollutants, having the ability to analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it, a technique called proton induced x-ray emission
(C) A technique originally developed for detecting air pollutants, called proton-induced x-ray emission, which can quickly analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it,
(D) A technique originally developed for detecting air pollutants, called proton-induced x-ray emission, which has the ability to analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance quickly and without destroying it,
(E) A technique that was originally developed for detecting air pollutants and has the ability to analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance quickly and without destroying the substance, called proton-induced x-ray emission,

Last edited by swath20 on 31 Mar 2005, 12:24, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2005, 11:17
E seems better

I think proton-induced x-ray emission is the subject of the sentence, E puts it in the right place!
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2005, 11:19
On second thought A seems OK too....

On exam day I guess I would pick A...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2005, 12:50
I was stuck between A and C but I go with C...

The way I saw it was this...removes all the words between the first comma and the last phrase:

For A:
Originally developed for detecting air pollutants, a technique called proton-induced x-ray emission, which can quickly analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it, is finding uses in medicine, archaeology, and criminology.

For C:

A technique originally developed for detecting air pollutants, called proton-induced x-ray emission, which can quickly analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it, is finding uses in medicine, archaeology, and criminology.

So the reason I chose C is because the subject ("the technique") is clearly what "is finding uses medicine, archaeology and criminology.

Of course I could be wrong...Any reason why I am absolutely wrong will be greatly appreciated! :-D

"No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2005, 12:54
It has to be (A). Forget C and D though they look appealing.l E is too wordy.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2005, 18:14
(A) Originally developed for detecting air pollutants, a technique called proton-induced x-ray emission, which can quickly analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it,
- it seems developement is finding use in medicine instead of the technique by placing 'originally developed for detecting air pollutants' at the front of the sentece.

(B) Originally developed for detecting air pollutants, having the ability to analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it, a technique called proton induced x-ray emission
- Same with A

(C) A technique originally developed for detecting air pollutants, called proton-induced x-ray emission, which can quickly analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it,
- I'll go with this one. originally developed now points to technique, the modifier for the tehcnique, introduced by 'which' is modifying the technique correctly.

(D) A technique originally developed for detecting air pollutants, called proton-induced x-ray emission, which has the ability to analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance quickly and without destroying it,
- 'has the ability is wrong'. A technique does not have ability, it only posses capability.

(E) A technique that was originally developed for detecting air pollutants and has the ability to analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance quickly and without destroying the substance, called proton-induced x-ray emission,
- same with D

C it is.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2005, 19:57
ywilfred wrote:
- it seems developement is finding use in medicine instead of the technique by placing 'originally developed for detecting air pollutants' at the front of the sentece.

- Same with A

- I'll go with this one. originally developed now points to technique, the modifier for the tehcnique, introduced by 'which' is modifying the technique correctly.

- 'has the ability is wrong'. A technique does not have ability, it only posses capability.

- same with D

C it is.

which in A is used to modify the clause "a technique called X" and not the "Originally developed for decting air pollutants"

I will go with A
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2005, 21:25
need you help here. for the pronouns "it" in the underlined portion, does it refer to substance or elements.

I am kind of confused on the application of singular pronouns when there are multiple s-v nouns presented. Does the usage of "it" here make the reference confusing or does the co-existence of singular and plural nouns solve that problem?

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2005, 21:49
C)

A technique originally developed for detecting air pollutants, called proton-induced x-ray emission, which can quickly analyze the chemical elements in almost any substance without destroying it, is finding uses in medicine, archaeology, and criminology.

Here the meaning is not tainted evenif one does not read what is written between the commas ; be it the first cluase between the commas or the second cluase between the commas.

This make the sentence structaurally correct

A)

Here, can one do so?

I go with C.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2005, 09:20
OA is A and no the qtn is not from OG
  [#permalink] 03 Apr 2005, 09:20