Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 05:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Oscar Charleston was a hitter so feared that even when he

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Oscar Charleston was a hitter so feared that even when he [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2012, 13:49
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (01:51) correct 37% (01:05) wrong based on 105 sessions
Oscar Charleston was a hitter so feared that even when he came to bat with the bases loaded he was routinely walked.

(A)
(B) the hitter so much feared that even when coming
(C) the hitter of such fearsomeness that even when he had come
(D) a hitter of such fearsomeness that even when he had come
(E) a hitter so much feared that even when coming

I DO NOT understand this Q.
"Oscar Charleston was a hitter so feared" <- who feared? OScar?
Th original sentence structure is so confusing to me, who is a non-native speaker.
Or maybe my English sucks. :cry:
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 113

Re: PT #6 SC 10 Oscar Charleston was a hitter so feared that eve [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2012, 15:58
I was confused between A and E, but then coming and walked are not parallel in E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: PT #6 SC 10 Oscar Charleston was a hitter so feared that eve [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2012, 04:16
exactly the same reason choose E :(

+1 if you like my explanation .Thanks :)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: PT #6 SC 10 Oscar Charleston was a hitter so feared that eve [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2012, 09:19
Can someone explain what is wrong with each answer choice, please?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 24

Re: PT #6 SC 10 Oscar Charleston was a hitter so feared that eve [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2012, 16:55
A is correct

B: "when coming" implies that he was walked while he was coming out to bat.. which seems ridiculous. "so much feared" is also wrong (I'm sure someone else can explain why) . Also this option says "the hitter" thereby unnecessarily adding that he was the only such hitter... so wrong on 3 counts

C: "even when he had come" implies one specific instance in the past which obviously cannot go with the fact that he was "routinely" walked implying that this happened many times.. Also refers to Charleston as "the hitter" instead of "a hitter"

D: Again in this option "when he had come to bat" implies on incident in the past which does not go..

E: same as reasons for B minus the "the hitter" reason...

A by POE
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 520 Q42 V19
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V21
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: PT #6 SC 10 Oscar Charleston was a hitter so feared that eve [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2012, 04:13
karun0109 wrote:
A is correct

B: "when coming" implies that he was walked while he was coming out to bat.. which seems ridiculous. "so much feared" is also wrong (I'm sure someone else can explain why) . Also this option says "the hitter" thereby unnecessarily adding that he was the only such hitter... so wrong on 3 counts

C: "even when he had come" implies one specific instance in the past which obviously cannot go with the fact that he was "routinely" walked implying that this happened many times.. Also refers to Charleston as "the hitter" instead of "a hitter"

D: Again in this option "when he had come to bat" implies on incident in the past which does not go..

E: same as reasons for B minus the "the hitter" reason...

A by POE

much can be used as adjective, adverb or noun..

Is it is used as adverb ---if yes than it is correct

But if used as adjective --- than wrong

The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 16

Reviews Badge
Re: PT #6 SC 10 Oscar Charleston was a hitter so feared that eve [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2012, 03:17
+1 A

So much is incorrect usage & coming is incorrect as the action was performed in the past & is not continuing in the present

Giving +1 kudos is a better way of saying 'Thank You'.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User
Oscar Charleston was a hitter so feared that even when he [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2014, 14:36
This post was
BOOKMARKED
eybrj2 wrote:
Oscar Charleston was a hitter so feared that even when he came to bat with the bases loaded he was routinely walked.

(A)
(B) the hitter so much feared that even when coming
(C) the hitter of such fearsomeness that even when he had come
(D) a hitter of such fearsomeness that even when he had come
(E) a hitter so much feared that even when coming

I DO NOT understand this Q.
"Oscar Charleston was a hitter so feared" <- who feared? OScar?
Th original sentence structure is so confusing to me, who is a non-native speaker.
Or maybe my English sucks. :cry:

I answered A.
Here is the explanation :-
Meaning of the original sentence : O.C. was a great hitter ; he was feared by his rivals; he was so feared (by his rivals) that he was routinely walked, even when he came to bat.>> I visualize that the last statement means that the hitter is like a gladiator who walks around the arena before battle. Now until this point i am not sure of the structure , i do not like the passive voice. But i have to see if there is a better answer choice that is grammatically correct and that conveys the right meaning.
Option B -> Wrong . A)So much feared is wordy; use of 'the' changes meaning. B)'that even when coming to bat' lacks subject.
Option C-> Wrong. A) the hitter of such fearsomeness is not compact compared to 'so feared that' and the use of article 'the' changes the meaing B) Even when he had come to is incorrect use of tense , it changes the meaning of the sentence.
Option D-> Wrong. Same as option C.
Option E-> Wrong. A)So much feared is wordy; B)'that even when coming to bat' lacks subject.

Please point out . If you find anything wrong with my analysis.
Oscar Charleston was a hitter so feared that even when he   [#permalink] 29 Jul 2014, 14:36