Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 22:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Our government guarantees us the right to worship in any way

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Our government guarantees us the right to worship in any way [#permalink] New post 25 May 2006, 09:56
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Our government guarantees us the right to worship in any way we want & yet this right is denied daily. School teachers are forbidden to lead all the students in collective prayer even if the great majority of students in the class are religious in one way or the other. The government is contradicting its promise of freedom & worship for all.

The author of the above argument is logically committed to the view that

a) Atheism cannot be considered a religion & so is not protected under any guaranteed of worship
b) Public worship does not amount to a repudiation of the doctrine of the separation of the church and state
c) If we allow religious freedom to wane, our basic freedoms will soon be in jeopardy
d) Compelling someone to be present during the prayer does not violate that person’s right of freedom of worship
e) Public announcements of atheism are inconsistent with the principles upon which our government was founded.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 May 2006, 10:14
A) out of scope
B) makes sense but goes too far
C) nothing is said about other rights
D) seems OK
E) clearly out of scope
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 May 2006, 11:46
I'll go with D as well.
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 May 2006, 19:02
Straight D.
The author argues that 'to lead all the students in collective prayer ' is a way to ensure 'promise of freedom & worship for all'.
Also, not all students are religious(even if the great majority of students in the class are religious).
Correlating the two arguments we can interpret that 'Compelling someone to be present during the prayer does not violate that person’s right of freedom of worship'. Thus D follows.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 May 2006, 19:21
Has to be D.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 May 2006, 21:35
Will go with D.

The author argues that religious freedom has been garuanted by the goverment. Yet he argues that since school teachers don't take children to participate in collective prayer, it is violating the law as many students wish to pray.

Thus he assumes or thinks that "Compelling someone to be present during the prayer does not violate that person’s right of freedom of worship"
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 May 2006, 21:41
D. By making it nescessary for students in the class to be in a collective prayer, the author assumes this is not an infringement on the person's right of freedom of worshpi.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 May 2006, 22:30
I have a different opinion.
If the author assumes that compelling people does not violate their right of worship, then the conclusion that ;"The government is contradicting its promise of freedom & worship for ALL" seems wrong cause the goverment would violate the rights of the majority only, not all.
IMO it is A) Since nonbelievers are not counted then they are excluded from the scope of the author and he makes a conlusion about the majority as a whole
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 May 2006, 03:44
nope ..it should be "D" only ..here author is mainly concerned with the freedom of teacher only .."A" goes totally out of scope to speak about atheism ...Author is favouring teacher to lead the children for prayers ..so basically he's saying that compelling the children to be present for prayer is on the lines of freedom granted to anybody in the country.. ..

--I never think of future, it comes soon enough!!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 May 2006, 12:28
A

My reasoning is that the author acknowledges that there are a few atheheists - "even if the great majority of students in the class are religious", i.e. there have to be a few students who are not religious or are atheists.

But the author still goes on to propose that all the students be lead for "collective praying". This means that the author doesn't consider atheism a "religion" and thus students, who are atheists are not protected under "right of freedom of religion and worship".

What do u guys think of this reasoning?

let us know what the OA is.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 May 2006, 13:13
alfa_beta01 wrote:
A

My reasoning is that the author acknowledges that there are a few atheheists - "even if the great majority of students in the class are religious", i.e. there have to be a few students who are not religious or are atheists.

But the author still goes on to propose that all the students be lead for "collective praying". This means that the author doesn't consider atheism a "religion" and thus students, who are atheists are not protected under "right of freedom of religion and worship".

What do u guys think of this reasoning?

let us know what the OA is.

Not all non-christians are atheists. Moreover, even not all non-believers are atheists, some are agnostics for example. :lol:
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 May 2006, 07:58
I'll go for D because the author is assuming that making someone attend prayer does not violate that person’s right of freedom of worship - great majority of students in the class are religious in one way or the other...so a part of the students may not be religious
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Govt [#permalink] New post 27 May 2006, 10:33
thanx everybody.

OA is D.
Re: CR: Govt   [#permalink] 27 May 2006, 10:33