Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 10:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Our understanding was that she would continue to cover the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 85 [1] , given: 65

Our understanding was that she would continue to cover the [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2010, 14:56
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

23% (01:44) correct 77% (00:43) wrong based on 31 sessions
Our understanding was that she would continue to cover the costs of school enrollment and room and board for the children, which she verbally agreed to pay with the rest of the family.

A. which she verbally agreed to pay with the rest of the family.
B. which she agreed verbally with the rest of the family to pay.
C. of which she agreed verbally with the rest of the family to pay.
D. both of which she verbally agreed to pay with the rest of the family.
E. both of which she agreed to pay with the rest of the family verbally.

Please provide your thought process for a better discussion.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Consider KUDOS if my post was helpful. :-D

My Debrief: 750-q49v42-105591.html#p825487

Last edited by scheol79 on 16 Nov 2010, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Schools: MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management / BA, Wesleyan University
Followers: 75

Kudos [?]: 119 [0], given: 7

Re: Costs of school enrollment. GMAT Club Test. [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2010, 19:52
I don't want to give away the answer to this question until people have had a chance to take a look at it, but I'd like to lead the discussion down a path:

We always want to start off with the most straight-forward grammatical split on SC. If you've been following along in the various discussions about modifiers, you should be able to very quickly cross off a few answers for a clear reason. Any takers? (Hint: noun modifiers!)

Brett Beach-Kimball | Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Last edited by BKimball on 16 Nov 2010, 14:51, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Costs of school enrollment. GMAT Club Test. [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 01:27
IMO D.
A and B uses 'which' just after children, which i feel is not correct.
out of C,D and E.
D seems grammatically correct.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3 (Mining Operations)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 33

Re: Costs of school enrollment. GMAT Club Test. [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 01:36
Incorrect: Incorrect use of Which. Which refers to immediate noun it "Touches".
Incorrect: Same as A.
Incorrect: The use of "Of which" is not justified. It is used better in situations such as " Some of which"..
Correct: Here verbally is correctly modifying "agreed".
Incorrect: The misplacement of Verbally obscures the meaning.

Regards,
Invincible...:)
"The way to succeed is to double your error rate."
"Most people who succeed in the face of seemingly impossible conditions are people who simply don't know how to quit."

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Costs of school enrollment. GMAT Club Test. [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 02:10
scheol79 wrote:
Our understanding was that she would continue to cover the costs of school enrollment and room and board for the children, which she verbally agreed to pay with the rest of the family.

Please provide your thought process for a better discussion.

I'd also go with D. 'which' is ambiguous in A and B. 'of which' is grammatically incorrect in C. 'verbally' at the end of the sentence in E distorts meaning.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 8

Re: Costs of school enrollment. GMAT Club Test. [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 03:28
BKimball wrote:
I don't want to give away the answer to this question until people have had a chance to take a look at it, but I'd like to lead the discussion down a path:

We always want to start off with the most straight-forward grammatical split on SC. If you've been following along in the various discussions about modifiers, you should be able to very quickly cross off A and B for a clear reason. Any takers? (Hint: noun modifiers!)

BKimball:

What do u mean by:

We always want to start off with the most straight-forward grammatical split on SC.

When going gets tough, tough gets going.........

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 35

Re: Costs of school enrollment. GMAT Club Test. [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 13:21
A. which she verbally agreed to pay with the rest of the family - which here is incorrect as it does not touch a noun.
B. which she agreed verbally with the rest of the family to pay -which here is incorrect as it does not touch a noun.
C. of which she agreed verbally with the rest of the family to pay - I don't know how to eliminate this, but "of which" does not seem to be correct.
D. both of which she verbally agreed to pay with the rest of the family - correct answer. logical construction
E. both of which she agreed to pay with the rest of the family verbally - the last part states she paid verbally.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 65

Re: Costs of school enrollment. GMAT Club Test. [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 14:18
OA is not D according to OE. I will post OA after more discussion.

4 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Schools: MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management / BA, Wesleyan University
Followers: 75

Kudos [?]: 119 [4] , given: 7

Re: Costs of school enrollment. GMAT Club Test. [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 15:03
This post received
KUDOS
Alright! We've got some great discussion going here! Glad we took the bait! :-)

Here's the thing about noun modifiers. As much as we say that a noun modifier must touch the noun it is modifying, there is an exception to this rule. For example:

"The work of art, which is hanging on the wall, was painted by Picasso." --> Here, "which is hanging on the wall" correctly modifies the "work."

How is that possible?

The phrase "of art" is a prepositional phrase that also modifies the "work." Prepositional phrases can stand between nouns and their modifiers.

Other examples:

"The team of twelve, which had come in first place last year, sulked at the defeat."
"The time of day, which can be discerned using a sun dial, is based on the rotation of the Earth."

If we go back to the example above, we see that "of school enrollment and room and board for the children" is all modifying the "costs" and thus the ",which..." modifier is acceptable.

I know scheol knows the answer, and it looks like praveenism is onto something. How can we then rule out other answers?

@ puneetpratik: By "start off with the most straight-forward grammatical split" I mean that if there are modifier issues, pronoun issues, concision issues, and subject-verb issues in a given SC problem, you should start off with the one that is the most clear. For most people, that would be subject-verb agreement. We each need to know where we feel most comfortable.

Brett Beach-Kimball | Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager
Schools: Pitt, Oregon, LBS...
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 36

Re: Costs of school enrollment. GMAT Club Test. [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 17:51
B. which she agreed verbally with the rest of the family to pay. IMO, here, she agreed with her family. Wrong.

C. of which she agreed verbally with the rest of the family to pay. “OF” is incorrect, and again, she agrees with the family. Wrong

D. both of which she verbally agreed to pay with the rest of the family. I think “which” should cover the word “costs”, not each individually.

E. both of which she agreed to pay with the rest of the family verbally. Same as D.

[highlight]Monster collection of Verbal questions (RC, CR, and SC)[/highlight]
massive-collection-of-verbal-questions-sc-rc-and-cr-106195.html#p832142

[highlight]Massive collection of thousands of Data Sufficiency and Problem Solving questions and answers:[/highlight]
1001-ds-questions-file-106193.html#p832133

Manager
Manager

Re: Costs of school enrollment. GMAT Club Test. [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 20:44
BKimball wrote:
Alright! We've got some great discussion going here! Glad we took the bait! :-)

Here's the thing about noun modifiers. As much as we say that a noun modifier must touch the noun it is modifying, there is an exception to this rule. For example:

"The work of art, which is hanging on the wall, was painted by Picasso." --> Here, "which is hanging on the wall" correctly modifies the "work."

How is that possible?

The phrase "of art" is a prepositional phrase that also modifies the "work." Prepositional phrases can stand between nouns and their modifiers.

Other examples:

"The team of twelve, which had come in first place last year, sulked at the defeat."
"The time of day, which can be discerned using a sun dial, is based on the rotation of the Earth."

If we go back to the example above, we see that "of school enrollment and room and board for the children" is all modifying the "costs" and thus the ",which..." modifier is acceptable.

I know scheol knows the answer, and it looks like praveenism is onto something. How can we then rule out other answers?

@ puneetpratik: By "start off with the most straight-forward grammatical split" I mean that if there are modifier issues, pronoun issues, concision issues, and subject-verb issues in a given SC problem, you should start off with the one that is the most clear. For most people, that would be subject-verb agreement. We each need to know where we feel most comfortable.

In that case, I'd pick A. But I'm not sure i'd correctly answer similar questions in the future! :(
Manager
Manager

Re: Costs of school enrollment. GMAT Club Test. [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 20:45
Thanks Brett.

scheol79, can we have the OA please?
Current Student

Re: Costs of school enrollment. GMAT Club Test. [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 21:24
This is a tough one.

OA is B.

Manager
Manager

Re: Costs of school enrollment. GMAT Club Test. [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 21:41
Wow. I got it wrong on the second chance as well! Can you please tell me why B is better than A?
Current Student

Re: Costs of school enrollment. GMAT Club Test. [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 22:49
Werewolf wrote:
Wow. I got it wrong on the second chance as well! Can you please tell me why B is better than A?

A and B have slightly different meanings.

Manager
Manager

Re: Costs of school enrollment. GMAT Club Test. [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 22:57
scheol79 wrote:
Werewolf wrote:

A and B have slightly different meanings.

Does A imply that the family will also be paying?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3 (Mining Operations)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 33

Re: Costs of school enrollment. GMAT Club Test. [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 02:19
This post received
KUDOS
Great Question, I simply sticked out A and B because of "Which" as a knee jerk reaction. Will keep this thing in mind :) Thanks @ Brett !!!

About difference between option A and B, I believe it goes as follows :
In Option A, it appears as if she were paying not by money but by "rest of family" !!

Regards,
Invincible...:)
"The way to succeed is to double your error rate."
"Most people who succeed in the face of seemingly impossible conditions are people who simply don't know how to quit."

Current Student

Re: Costs of school enrollment. GMAT Club Test. [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 02:54
This sentence requires the correct placement of the adverb verbally, indicating the way in which the agreement was made, and the correct use of phrases indicating with whom (the rest of the family) the agreement was made.

A. The phrase with the rest of the family is misplaced, making it sound as if the subject of the sentence and the rest of the family were planning to pay the fees together.
B. The adverb verbally comes immediately after the verb agreed, indicating their correlation, and the placement of the phrase with the rest of the family makes it clear that the agreement was between the two parties.
C. The word of is unnecessary and confusing.
D. The phrase with the rest of the family is misplaced, making it sound as if the subject of the sentence and the family were planning to pay the fees together; also the word both is unnecessary and confusing.
E. Verbally is misplaced, making it sound as if the promised payments will be made by speaking.
The correct answer is B.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Costs of school enrollment. GMAT Club Test. [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 20:23
I would eliminate B just for the reason that it changes the meaning of the original sentence. If A is grammatically correct, IMO we should look no further.

scheol79 wrote:
This sentence requires the correct placement of the adverb verbally, indicating the way in which the agreement was made, and the correct use of phrases indicating with whom (the rest of the family) the agreement was made.

A. The phrase with the rest of the family is misplaced, making it sound as if the subject of the sentence and the rest of the family were planning to pay the fees together.
B. The adverb verbally comes immediately after the verb agreed, indicating their correlation, and the placement of the phrase with the rest of the family makes it clear that the agreement was between the two parties.
C. The word of is unnecessary and confusing.
D. The phrase with the rest of the family is misplaced, making it sound as if the subject of the sentence and the family were planning to pay the fees together; also the word both is unnecessary and confusing.
E. Verbally is misplaced, making it sound as if the promised payments will be made by speaking.
The correct answer is B.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Costs of school enrollment. GMAT Club Test. [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2010, 16:52
I am still a little confused. Is the correct answer A or B ?
Re: Costs of school enrollment. GMAT Club Test.   [#permalink] 25 Nov 2010, 16:52