Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 12:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Our understanding was that she would continue to cover the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 0

Our understanding was that she would continue to cover the [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2008, 23:57
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (01:22) wrong based on 4 sessions
Our understanding was that she would continue to cover the costs of school enrollment and room and board for the children, which she verbally agreed to pay with the rest of the family.

(A)which she verbally agreed to pay with the rest of the family.

(B)which she agreed verbally with the rest of the family to pay.

(C)of which she agreed verbally with the rest of the family to pay.
(D)both of which she verbally agreed to pay with the rest of the family.

(E)both of which she agreed to pay with the rest of the family verbally.

My doubt is about the adverb verbally
which is the correct usage

agree verbally
verbally agreed

whats the difference between the two

and also kindly let me know the answer with explanations

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: sc-agreed verbally Vs verbally agreed [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2008, 08:00
A
Somehow 'agreed verbally with the rest of the family to pay' in B sounds awkward to me with splitting of 'agreed to pay'

Is there any proximity principal for usage of infinitive?

I may be wrong, any other explainations?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: sc-agreed verbally Vs verbally agreed [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2008, 09:22
I think both usages are correct, but the rest part of B just does not sound right. And if there's nothing wrong with A, stay with A.
VP
VP
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 1

Re: sc-agreed verbally Vs verbally agreed [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2008, 10:08
Am I having a weird day or do I just suck?

Our understanding was that she would continue to cover the costs of school enrollment and room and board for the children, which she verbally agreed to pay with the rest of the family.

Which is referring to children and not the costs of X & Y. How can any one use children to pay?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

Re: sc-agreed verbally Vs verbally agreed [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2008, 10:42
iCandy, I am in the same boat as you are.

Here is what I found from the ManhattanGmat's forum. This was the response of one of the instructors:

"Which" can be a little tricky. The rule is that it has to refer to the closest preceding primary noun. It's often the case that this is the immediately preceding noun, but not always.

So, when is the primary noun not the immediately preceding noun? When some description needs to be attached to that primary noun to explain it adequately.
She agreed to cover the cost of the tickets, which was very high. -- technically referring to cost b/c "of the tickets" is a description of the type of cost
It would be cleaner, though, to say "She agreed to cover the tickets' cost, which was very high."

Sometimes, we can't easily move the descriptor noun earlier as a possessive (as we did above) and we have to keep it as a prepositional phrase. eg:

After falling down in the middle of the runway, she maintained her aura of detachment, which inured her to the laughter. We wouldn't say she kept her detachment's aura - we have to use the prepositional phrase there, but the "which" clause really modifies aura, not detachment.

You'd be unlikely to see something like your sentences on the official test b/c it's a bit too complex. Most of the time (on the test), if this issue comes up, it will be presented as a single prepositional phrase following the primary noun.

Stacey Koprince
MGMAT STAFF

To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says:
"Leave no stone unturned."
-Edward Bulwer Lytton

VP
VP
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 1

Re: sc-agreed verbally Vs verbally agreed [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2008, 10:51
leonidas,

thanks for pointing this out. Stacey's explanation looks good to me and my brains are now hard wired to see which referring to the noun before the comma. I read stacey's explanation thrice. Seems like I understand it, but next moment doesn't seem like I got it. especially the second example blew me away.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

Re: sc-agreed verbally Vs verbally agreed [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2008, 11:00
I agree, the second example was a bit complex. Whenever there is a "which", see if the sentence is meaningful with Stacey's method and then go with it. This should be a "must" check before one choses an answer choice.

To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says:
"Leave no stone unturned."
-Edward Bulwer Lytton

VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 291 [0], given: 1

Re: sc-agreed verbally Vs verbally agreed [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2008, 20:03
Thanks leonidas for posting stacy's explanation .... seems to make sense, but not sure if my brain will work so clearly on test day ...

can we say that "aura of detachment" is the noun or rather noun phrase which the word "which" is modifying ??

similarly "cost of tickets", a noun phrase --and -- "room for children" , another noun phrase

Am I getting it right ??

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Check out my GMAT blog - GMAT Tips and Strategies

CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 512 [0], given: 19

Re: sc-agreed verbally Vs verbally agreed [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2008, 20:48
Quote:

verbally agreed - verb modifies by adverb. correct.
agreed verbally - adverb modified by verb????? never correct.

I was leaning toward D but after going through SK's post, should concur to her.

Learned & Noted.

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 0

Re: sc-agreed verbally Vs verbally agreed [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2008, 21:11
GMAT TIGER wrote:
Quote:

verbally agreed - verb modifies by adverb. correct.
agreed verbally - adverb modified by verb????? never correct.

I was leaning toward D but after going through SK's post, should concur to her.

Learned & Noted.

why do we have to use both here ?
lets simply flip the sentence :
[/u]she verbally agreed to pay (with the rest of the family[/u])
the costs of school enrollment and room and board for the children

hence she paid the costs and not costs of both x and y
agreed to pay modifies costs of X and Y ,no need for both

I got this from one grammar site :

Squinting Modifiers
GMAT Verbal Section -- Squinting Modifiers

Squinting modifiers create uncertainity by appearing to either of two possible headwords
OR
Squinting modifiers are those modifiers that are placed between two words so that they could be understood to modify either word. e.g

The sight of teenagers hitting each other violently upset an elderly couple.

To clarify the statement, we should move violently, placing it before hitting if that is the correct meaning, or after couple -

Edited A- The sight of teenagers violently hitting each other upset an elderly couple.

Edited B - The sight of teenagers hitting each other upset an elderly couple violently.

Similarly below is another example -

To exercise regularly results in aches and pains.

Edited A - Regular exercise results in aches and pains.

Edited B - To exercise results regularly in aches and pains.

The example above uses the regularly after the results !!!!
i think we can use adverb after the verb !!ANY TAKERS welcome
here is the link :
http://gmat-grammar.blogspot.com/search/label/Modifiers

Im confused still to crack this question !!
i have the OA but its just lets try few more strategies to crack this !!
what else can be used to segregate wrong choices ???????

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Retired Moderator
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 5

Re: sc-agreed verbally Vs verbally agreed [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2008, 08:16
Good lord :shock: - all the nuances in the english language.

I went with D.

Even though "both" is most likely not necessary, it helps clarify/emphasize that she's paying for both, not just room/board or enrollment.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 0

Re: sc-agreed verbally Vs verbally agreed [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 01:45
I went with A.

To me, "verbally agreed" and "agreed verbally" both are correct. Here the differentiator is "agree to" idiom.

agree to - used for action.
agree with - used for nouns.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 71

Re: sc-agreed verbally Vs verbally agreed [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2012, 05:25
Is there any difference between "agreed verbally" and "verbally agreed"?
Re: sc-agreed verbally Vs verbally agreed   [#permalink] 18 Jan 2012, 05:25