Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 17:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Our understanding was that she would continue to cover the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

Our understanding was that she would continue to cover the [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2010, 22:40
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

67% (01:54) correct 33% (00:00) wrong based on 17 sessions
Our understanding was that she would continue to cover the costs of school enrollment and room and board for the children, which she verbally agreed to pay with the rest of the family.

* which she verbally agreed to pay with the rest of the family.
* which she agreed verbally with the rest of the family to pay.
* of which she agreed verbally with the rest of the family to pay.
* both of which she verbally agreed to pay with the rest of the family.
* both of which she agreed to pay with the rest of the family verbally.

Here don't you think which in option A and B is wrongly point only the board for the children?
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 220

Kudos [?]: 339 [2] , given: 5

Re: Our understanding was that she would continue to cover the [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2013, 22:01
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
angel2009 wrote:
Our understanding was that she would continue to cover the costs of school enrollment and room and board for the children, which she verbally agreed to pay with the rest of the family.

Here don't you think which in option A and B is wrongly point only the board for the children?

From the standpoint of finding the correct answer, we work by eliminating wrong answer choices to determine what is left. Since we are forced to keep some verison of "which" in all the answer choices we have to look elsewhere. There is an error with the placement of the modifier "with the rest of the family" and answer choices A, D, and E have an ambiguous meaning about agreeing to pay with the family (did they agree with the family or pay with the family or agree to pay with the family). B & C clearly state that the agreement (to pay) was made with the rest of the family. The difference in B & C is between "which" and "of which". "Of which" is typically used to indentify parts of the group and usually includes an additional word like we see in choices D & E ("BOTH of which"). That leaves us with answer choice B.

Now to the question about using the modifier "which" to refer to the costs of enrollment and room and board. There are exceptions that allow us to skip over a noun to get to the noun we want to modify, but the exceptions don't come up much and they are typically short phrases (Picasso's works of art - you could skip over art). Here the sentence really wants us to skip all the way back to "costs" and ignore a pretty massive space between "which" and "costs" (the noun being modified). I do not believe you would ever see the GMAT use a construction like this.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Retired Moderator
WE 1: 4yrs in IT Industry
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 338

Re: costs of school enrollment [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2010, 23:26

Please Underline :(

One Final Try.......

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 26

Re: costs of school enrollment [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2010, 23:35
i dont see an issue with A...

what's the OA?

here which covers both "enrollment" and "room & board." i would say "for the children" is a short modifier, and would be one of the few exceptions where you can use which following a short prepositional phrase... (this is my guess, correct me if im wrong please...)

it's kinda silly to say the following: ... x and y, which she agree, for the children...

it's clearer to say: ... x and y for the children, which she agree...

i guess i would naturally be inclined to pick D though... but concision would force me to pick A.

kudos if you like me (or my post) :P

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 6

Re: costs of school enrollment [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2010, 07:04
angel2009 wrote:

which refers to all the costs.

IMO B.
What si the OA?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: costs of school enrollment [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2010, 07:18
After debating between A & D, I would go with A

OA please...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 12

Re: costs of school enrollment [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2010, 09:18
I happend to think that the OA was d.

1st clue: which modifies the children..

2nd clue: the placement of verbally.
I elminated all b,c,e.

but as soon as I carefully look on the answer options, I realized that the sentence won't make any sense, if which refers to children so logically 'which' modifies the costs as it is stated above.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 20

Re: costs of school enrollment [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2010, 09:52
I'm not an expert, but according to Manhattan SC "WHICH" must refer to a noun immediately preceding it. "THAT" sometimes can be used in cases adalfu discussed, not "WHICH".
So, my answer is D.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 26

Re: costs of school enrollment [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2010, 10:09
Igor010 wrote:
I'm not an expert, but according to Manhattan SC "WHICH" must refer to a noun immediately preceding it. "THAT" sometimes can be used in cases adalfu discussed, not "WHICH".
So, my answer is D.

There are some exception to the which-must-follow-noun rule
e.g., short modifiers and "mission-critical" modifiers in which you can still have the which following the end of the modifier phrase... i thought this was in the Advanced sections of the MGMAT SC book... correct me if im wrong (i don't have the book w/ me at work).

kudos if you like me (or my post) :P

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

Re: costs of school enrollment [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2010, 21:39
OA is B
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 20

Re: costs of school enrollment [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2010, 04:32
What is the source? (Please, give those who were wrong a chance to think that it is not their fault! :-D )
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 6

Re: costs of school enrollment [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2010, 07:12
Can anyone comment on why/how option (B) is correct in the given sentence.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 33

Re: Our understanding was that she would continue to cover the [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2013, 03:59
I agree with which modifies children and hence choose D. I dont trust the OA either. Request an expert to comment pls!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 33

Re: Our understanding was that she would continue to cover the [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2013, 22:21
KyleWiddison, thanks for weighing in here. Wanted to check with you, how did you decide that the meaning conveyed in option B was the originally intended meaning.
Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 5

Re: Our understanding was that she would continue to cover the [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2013, 22:30
Expert's post
vibhav wrote:
KyleWiddison, thanks for weighing in here. Wanted to check with you, how did you decide that the meaning conveyed in option B was the originally intended meaning.

The meaning conveyed in choice B is unambiguous (she agreed with the rest of the family that she would pay). In the other options you don't know if she agreed with the rest of the family that she would pay or if she agreed that she would pay along with the rest of the family. In matters of meaning, we can't always know the original intent, so you have to use a process of eliminating choices that have problems like unclear, illogical, or ambiguous meaning.

KW

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

SVP
SVP
Followers: 279

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Our understanding was that she would continue to cover the [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2014, 07:10
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 169

CAT Tests
Re: Our understanding was that she would continue to cover the [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2014, 21:19
Can someone tell me if the OA is A or B?
I find some posts saying A, some saying B.

But if it's B, then wouldn't it be a deviation from the statement given?

If you found this post useful for your prep, click 'Kudos'

Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 5

Re: Our understanding was that she would continue to cover the [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2014, 14:05
Expert's post
alphonsa wrote:
Can someone tell me if the OA is A or B?
I find some posts saying A, some saying B.

But if it's B, then wouldn't it be a deviation from the statement given?

In my first post I explain the problem of meaning in option A where the agreement becomes unclear. Did she agree to pay the costs along with the family (the family pays too)? Or, did she agree with the family that she alone would cover the costs? The original sentence has unclear meaning. Changing the position of the modifier in B fixes that ambiguity.

What do you mean when you say "wouldn't it be a deviation from the statement given"?

KW

Re: Our understanding was that she would continue to cover the   [#permalink] 18 Sep 2014, 14:05