Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 12:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Out of America's fascination with all things antique have

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Out of America's fascination with all things antique have [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2011, 08:30
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

72% (01:43) correct 28% (00:44) wrong based on 25 sessions
Out of America's fascination with all things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and claw-footed bathtub.

(A) things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing
(B) things antique has grown a market for bygones styles of furniture and fixtures that is bringing
(C) things that are antique has grown a market for bygones styles of furniture and fixtures that is bring
(D) antique things have grown a market for bygones styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing
(E) antique things has grown a market for bygones styles of furniture and fixtures that bring

Correct Answer: B

I have tried to understand this sentence but I could not. If we insert B, we get:

Out of America's fascination with all things antique has grown a market for bygones styles of furniture and fixtures that is bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and claw-footed bathtub.

I don't understand what the heck this sentence mean.

Something which I think can bring meaning to this would be to put "," (comma) after things. What are your comments? Thanks.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 77030

CAT Tests
Re: Serious and Strange Problem in OG 10e (85) [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2011, 01:34
Big wrote:
Out of America's fascination with all things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and claw-footed bathtub.

(A) things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing
"a market" is subject of the 2 verbs grow and bring
(B) things antique has grown a market for bygones styles of furniture and fixtures that is bringing
(C) things that are antique has grown a market for bygones styles of furniture and fixtures that is bring
"that" implies that "bygones styles of furniture and fixtures" is the subject of the verb bring
+ the market is bringing

(D) antique things have grown a market for bygones styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing
a market has grown
(E) antique things has grown a market for bygones styles of furniture and fixtures that brings
"that" implies that "bygones styles of furniture and fixtures" is the subject of the verb bring

I have tried to understand this sentence but I could not. If we insert B, we get:

Out of America's fascination with all things antique has grown a market for bygones styles of furniture and fixtures that is bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and claw-footed bathtub.

Something which I think can bring meaning to this would be to put "," (comma) after things. What are your comments? Thanks.

If it can help you, the comma should be put after "antique".
Intern
Intern

Re: Serious and Strange Problem in OG 10e (85) [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 04:50
I didnt know that this
inverted kind of sentences also
existed and that they were also
valid, but it sounds a bit weird. I
mean if it is not the only correct
version, but structure of S+V+O, or O
+V+S (passive voice) is at least,
normal, usual, Comprehensive, and
noticeable-to-mental-grammar .
How in such small time and intense
pressure we will recognize such odd
pattern? I mean if you follow the
standard pattern of S+V+O, then one
would comprehend that market is
object and subject is messed up .
whats the point of saying simple
thing in such a weird way? Other
thing is that twisting something in
such odd manner gives interrogative
form to it. For example if i change "i
have killed siberian man" to "have i
killed siberian man", then evidently
sentence changes into question. In
fact i realise it now that that sentence which we just discussed could also be treated as question ?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 154

Kudos [?]: 510 [0], given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Serious and Strange Problem in OG 10e (85) [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 12:29
The intended meaning is:

a market for bygones styles of furniture and fixtures has grown Out of America's fascination with all things antique.
a market (that is bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and claw-footed bathtub)

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
WE 1: 10

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Serious and Strange Problem in OG 10e (85) [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 19:04
This post received
KUDOS
Big wrote:

(E) antique things has grown a market for bygones styles of furniture and fixtures that bring

One quick note. Please do not post the OA as you have done (Correct Answer: B) right below the question. Give the forum users the opportunity to post their ideas before seeing the OA. Thanks in advance!!!

KUDOS if it helped!!
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" - Thomas Jefferson
"You don't know the limits if you haven't crossed it"

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 154

Kudos [?]: 510 [0], given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Serious and Strange Problem in OG 10e (85) [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2011, 04:12
tru.
I support the above opinion.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Serious and Strange Problem in OG 10e (85) [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2011, 10:03
Dravidian,

I also agree with it but i dont know how to do it. I mean putting font and background in same color. I actually dont know how to do it.

Posted from my mobile device Image
SVP
SVP
Followers: 259

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Out of America's fascination with all things antique have [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2014, 19:57
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Out of America's fascination with all things antique have [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2014, 23:38
The right way to look into this sentence would be to remove the preposition phrases so that the subject and verb can be clearly understood.
Lets strike out the propositional phrases and see if that'll help:-

Out of America's fascination with all things antique has/have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that is/are bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and claw-footed bathtub.

As you can see, its now easier to figure out the right answer.
fascination->singular->has
market->singular->is
Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 2

Out of America's fascination with all things antique have [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2014, 04:21
niteshgmat wrote:
As you can see, its now easier to figure out the right answer.
fascination->singular->has
market->singular->is

Actually it should be the other way round.

market->singular->has
fascination->singular->is

market...has grown.. and fascination ...is bringing back the chaise lounge, .....

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses inverted sentences. If you can PM you email-id, I can send you the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT - 99th Pecentile, MBA-ISB, Faculty @ http://www.EducationAisle.com

Our book Sentence Correction Nirvana available at

Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana
Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Intern
Intern
Schools: Tepper '17

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Out of America's fascination with all things antique have [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2014, 10:01
Option B is correct because :

- It correctly points to a singular form of market
- Clearly reflects that market & not the styles (plural) is the reason for bringing back the listed item in people's wishlist
Re: Out of America's fascination with all things antique have   [#permalink] 15 Sep 2014, 10:01