Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:21 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 884 [330]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [32]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [22]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [18]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Re: Out of America's fascination with all things antique have grown a [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Quote:
Out of America’s fascination with all things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing back the chaise longue, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub.

A. things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing
B. things antique has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that is bringing
C. things that are antiques has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring
D. antique things have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing
E. antique things has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring

Hi Everyone,

This question is a little tricky because of the inverted structure and the use of a slightly far-away noun modifier. However, the errors are all about subject-verb agreement. The detailed solution is below followed by the video solution.

Sentence Structure

Meaning
The sentence talks about America’s amazement with all things antique, and out of this passion for antiques, a new market has grown for furniture styles from the past. This new market is bringing back the chaise lounge, overstuffed sofas, and claw-footed bathtubs.

1. Subject Verb Number Agreement Errors:
a. The sentence has an inverted subject-verb pair “a market- have grown.” Once we locate the subject-verb pair, we see that we have a subject-verb must agree error- the verb for the singular subject “market” is the plural “have grown,” and we need the
singular subject “has grown.”
b. The noun modifier “that” refers to the slightly far away noun “market,” so we have another subject-verb error as “that” requires the singular verb “is” and not the plural verb “are.”

Note: The use of the slightly far away noun modifier is acceptable because we know we can have a slightly far noun modification when three criteria are fulfilled, and we have all three here.
1. The modifier does not make sense with the preceding noun; thus, we need to look deeper into the sentence.
2. The preceding prepositional phrase is modifying the “market”, and the noun modifier can jump over the prepositional phrase to modify the same entity.
3. The preceding modifier cannot be placed anywhere else in the sentence and still makes logical sense.

A things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing
Incorrect: This choice has the errors discussed in the Error Analysis.

B. things antique has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that is bringing
Correct: This option corrects both subject-verb issues using “has grown” and “is bringing” and does not introduce any new errors.

C. things that are antiques has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring
Incorrect: Subject Verb Number Agreement Error: In this option, “that” refers to the singular subject “market” but takes the plural verb “bring.”

D. antique things have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing
Incorrect: Subject Verb Number Agreement Error: This error is the same as discussed in option A (note they have only switched two words here, “antique things” and “things antique”). The subject and verb must agree- the singular “market” does not agree with the plural verb “have grown.” Thus, the noun modifier “that” refers to the singular noun “market” must have the singular verb “is” and not the plural verb “are.”

E. antique things has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring
Incorrect: Subject Verb Number Agreement Error: This option repeats the subject verb number agreement error discussed in option C.

1. The use of the slightly far away noun modifier is acceptable under certain circumstances. Cement your understanding of this modifier by reading our article Noun Modifiers Can Modify Slightly Far Away Nouns. (https://gmatclub.com/forum/noun-modifie ... 35868.html)
2. Always check that the subject-verb pairs agree in number and make sense.
3. Do not let an inverted sentence structure confuse you; simply reverse the sentence to locate the SV pairs or use probing questions to help you identify the entities of the sentence and the meaning being communicated.

Here is a video solution we made for this question:

Happy Learning!
Cheers!
Stacey
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [6]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Out of America's fascination with all things antique have grown a [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hm... I think perhaps this might be classified as an idiomatic part of English expression... "All things antique" just sounds more correct to me. Yes, I think the structure is Noun + Adj., which is strange in English, but people do say "I love all things Greek," etc. Sorry I can't explain that better.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [5]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Minheequang wrote:
Out of America's fascination with all things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub.
(A) things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing
(B) things antique has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that is bringing
(C) things that are antiques has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring
(D) antique things have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing
(E) antique things has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring

The answer is (B). I have no problem with the meaning of this choice, but what is things antique. I can't understand its meaning or its structure: Noun + ADJ ???

Here in c and e "bring" is wrong as it refers to market which is singular .. so C and E are out
A out as "are" is not proper "Market" singular
Now out of B and C .
C is wordy .
things antique is correct . So B
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [5]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
The intended meaning is:

a market for bygones styles of furniture and fixtures has grown Out of America's fascination with all things antique.
a market (that is bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and claw-footed bathtub)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4927 [5]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
B is correct.
A- Are bringing is parallel with singular market.
C, E - Bring is not correct
D- are bringing is not parallel.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [7]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: ISB '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
The right way to look into this sentence would be to remove the preposition phrases so that the subject and verb can be clearly understood.
Lets strike out the propositional phrases and see if that'll help:-

Out of America's fascination with all things antique has/have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that is/are bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and claw-footed bathtub.

As you can see, its now easier to figure out the right answer.
fascination->singular->has
market->singular->is
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
niteshgmat wrote:
As you can see, its now easier to figure out the right answer.
fascination->singular->has
market->singular->is

Actually it should be the other way round.

market->singular->has
fascination->singular->is

market...has grown.. and fascination ...is bringing back the chaise lounge, .....

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses inverted sentences. If you can PM you email-id, I can send you the corresponding section.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.83
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
IMO - B

Out of America's fascination with all things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing[/u] back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub.
>> for subject antique we need singular verb has. Also, for subject a market, we need verb is not are.

(A) things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing >> SVA issue, we need has
(B) things antique has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that is bringing >> correct SVA
(C) things that are antiques has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring >> all things that are antiques has grown...has is issue here, we need a clause.
(D) antique things have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing >> out of all antique things have grown...clause issue
(E) antique things has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring >> same as above
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Send PM
My Confusion here is the starting of the sentence - Out of America's fascination...
It seemed to me as a clause and was expecting a comma, after which i would find a noun it is modifying. Can somebody please explain me this structure.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1392 [2]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
rakshithbabu wrote:
My Confusion here is the starting of the sentence - Out of America's fascination...
It seemed to me as a clause and was expecting a comma, after which i would find a noun it is modifying. Can somebody please explain me this structure.

Hi rakshithbabu,
I'm not sure whether I understood your question correctly but let me try to answer your question.

Here is the correct sentence:

Out of America's fascination with all things antique has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that is bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub.

This is a simple subject-verb inversion and usually such sentences start with an adverb followed by a verb and a subject. For example,

Hardly did he study for GMAT, yet he could score so well.

Here, note that inverting the sentence added extra emphasis or surprise on the fact the he "hardly" studied.

In this sentence also, Out of America's fascination with all things antique is an adverbial phrase, then we have the verb has grown and the noun phrase a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures

I hope the structure is clear to you now.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Send PM
TeamGMATIFY wrote:
rakshithbabu wrote:

Hi rakshithbabu,
I'm not sure whether I understood your question correctly but let me try to answer your question.

Here is the correct sentence:

Out of America's fascination with all things antique has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that is bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub.

This is a simple subject-verb inversion and usually such sentences start with an adverb followed by a verb and a subject. For example,

Hardly did he study for GMAT, yet he could score so well.

Here, note that inverting the sentence added extra emphasis or surprise on the fact the he "hardly" studied.

In this sentence also, Out of America's fascination with all things antique is an adverbial phrase, then we have the verb has grown and the noun phrase a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures

I hope the structure is clear to you now.

Hi TeamGMATIFY thanks for the explanation,
If i get it right,

Subject = a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures
Verb = Grow (in the form has grown)
Modifier = Out of America's fascination with all things antique( which modifies the verb grow)

So re arranging the sentence to understand it better

A market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures has grown, out of America's fascination with all things antique, bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub.

Subject
Verb
Modifier of Verb

Please correct me if i am wrong.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1392 [2]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
HI rakshithbabu

if you invert the correct sentence, it will be:

A market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that is bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub has grown out of America's fascination with all things antique.

After looking at this sentence, you can now appreciate the inverted construction used in the original sentence as presence of the noun modifier "that is bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub" in the middle has made the sentence almost unreadable.
Here
subject: A market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures
Modifier modifying the subject market: that is bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub
verb: has grown
Verb modifier or adverbial modifier: out of America's fascination with all things antique.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [5]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos