Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 08:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Out of America's fascination with all things antique have

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 1

Out of America's fascination with all things antique have [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2009, 18:54
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

70% (01:54) correct 30% (01:36) wrong based on 122 sessions
Out of America's fascination with all things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub.
(A) things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing
(B) things antique has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that is bringing
(C) things that are antiques has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring
(D) antique things have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing
(E) antique things has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring

The answer is (B). I have no problem with the meaning of this choice, but what is things antique. I can't understand its meaning or its structure: Noun + ADJ ???
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: OG 10 - things antique ??? [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2009, 11:47
Hm... I think perhaps this might be classified as an idiomatic part of English expression... "All things antique" just sounds more correct to me. Yes, I think the structure is Noun + Adj., which is strange in English, but people do say "I love all things Greek," etc. Sorry I can't explain that better.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 13

Re: OG 10 - things antique ??? [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2009, 18:25
Minheequang wrote:
Out of America's fascination with all things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub.
(A) things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing
(B) things antique has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that is bringing
(C) things that are antiques has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring
(D) antique things have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing
(E) antique things has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring

The answer is (B). I have no problem with the meaning of this choice, but what is things antique. I can't understand its meaning or its structure: Noun + ADJ ???

Here in c and e "bring" is wrong as it refers to market which is singular .. so C and E are out
A out as "are" is not proper "Market" singular
Now out of B and C .
C is wordy .
things antique is correct . So B
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: OG 10 - things antique ??? [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2009, 19:27
adarsh12345 wrote:
Minheequang wrote:

Here in c and e "bring" is wrong as it refers to market which is singular .. so C and E are out
A out as "are" is not proper "Market" singular
Now out of B and C .
C is wordy .
things antique is correct . So B

adarsh12345,

"That" in the above sentence is a pronon for Market or America's Fasicination ? I thought its for America's Fascination. But could be worng . Can you pls explain ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1

Re: OG 10 - things antique ??? [#permalink] New post 06 May 2009, 08:48
E is wrong because both grown and bring appear to be happening at the same time...However bring has happening all the time there was growth...so should be in the continuous tense.....

bandit wrote:
What is the problem with E?

Choose Life

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 2

Re: OG 10 - things antique ??? [#permalink] New post 06 May 2009, 13:53
also in D and E there is no subject.

Out of America's fascination with all antiques things ....(what ) has/have grown a market
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1

Re: OG 10 - things antique ??? [#permalink] New post 06 May 2009, 22:29
On the contrary, I would say that IMO, has is the verb which is pointing to the noun America's fascination....

neeshpal wrote:

Out of America's fascination with all antiques things ....(what ) has/have grown a market

Choose Life

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: OG 10 - things antique ??? [#permalink] New post 07 May 2009, 08:21

B is correct. My reasoning is as follows:

This is partly a modifier question, which modifies "Antique" and since "Antique" is a collective noun, it is singular and "has" is appropriate to use. Any comments are welcome.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: OG 10 - things antique ??? [#permalink] New post 07 May 2009, 10:49
I will go with B as it is a Idiom..it sounds right to me
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 2

Re: OG 10 - things antique ??? [#permalink] New post 15 May 2009, 15:09
trainspotting wrote:
On the contrary, I would say that IMO, has is the verb which is pointing to the noun America's fascination....

neeshpal wrote:

IMO , there is no subject in D/E. if there was no "out of" then "America's fascination " would have been the subject as below

( America's fascination with all antique things - the subject) has grown a market....
Director
Director
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 100

Re: OG 10 - things antique ??? [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2009, 15:43

A and D are out because we need singular verb..
Out of B,C, E how do we decide please help..it's not clear..

countdown-beginshas-ended-85483-40.html#p649902

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: OG 10 - things antique ??? [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2010, 21:18
This post received
KUDOS
meesawoosa wrote:
Hm... I think perhaps this might be classified as an idiomatic part of English expression... "All things antique" just sounds more correct to me. Yes, I think the structure is Noun + Adj., which is strange in English, but people do say "I love all things Greek," etc. Sorry I can't explain that better.

Actually they are correct English.

- All thing [which are] antique ...
- I love all things [which are] Greek

[which are] is omitted in this case for short.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 254 [1] , given: 32

Re: OG 10 - things antique ??? [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2011, 07:35
This post received
KUDOS
B is correct.
A- Are bringing is parallel with singular market.
C, E - Bring is not correct
D- are bringing is not parallel.

I am student of everyone-baten
Collections:-
PSof OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ps-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110005.html
DS of OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ds-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110004.html
100 GMAT PREP Quantitative collection http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-problem-collections-114358.html
Collections of work/rate problems with solutions http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-work-rate-problem-with-solutions-118919.html
Mixture problems in a file with best solutions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mixture-problems-with-best-and-easy-solutions-all-together-124644.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 25

Re: OG 10 - things antique ??? [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2011, 18:14
I had picked D, but agree w/ B for the singular verb we need here. Good one.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 15

Re: Out of America's fascination with all things antique have [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2012, 04:32
This post received
KUDOS
The sentence is inverted.

OBSERVE the Kernel Sentence:

Out of fascination has grown a market.

A market has grown out of fascination.

B is really the BEST choice.

A market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that is bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub has grown out of America's fascination with all things antique.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1704 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Out of America's fascination with all things antique have [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2012, 09:39
Expert's post
Quote:
A market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures have/has has grown out of America's fascination with all things (that are) antique those are/is bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub

This is the actual flipped sentence. The subject is the singular -a market – and the verb therefore has to be -has grown-
What is/are bringing back the stated antiques? Logically It cannot be the furniture and fixtures nor the bygone styles nor all things because what are brought back are themselves antique furniture and fixtures of bygone styles and they cannot bring themselves. Something else must be bringing them. It is actually the fascination, as pointed out by some posters that is driving the renaissance of these styles. Hence the verb for the second part must also be singular, namely, is bringing as in B

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Schools: Wharton, Stanford, Columbia, IMD,Sloan,IE, Kellogg, LBS

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Out of America's fascination with all things antique have [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2012, 22:51

The actual sentence here is:
Market has grown out of..........

Answer is B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 39

Re: Out of America's fascination with all things antique have [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2013, 23:54
in B, the oa, "which/that clause" modifie a far noun "market". this is acceptable.

but in the following why "which clause " modifying far noun is considered errors.

from #48 og 13

It is called a sea, but the landlocked Caspian is
actually the largest lake on Earthf whichcovers more
than four times the surface area of its closest rival in
size, North America's Lake Superior.
(A) It is called a sea, but the landlocked Caspian is
actually the largest lake on Earth, which covers
(B) Although it is called a sea, actually the
landlocked Caspian is the largest lake on Earth,
which covers
(C) Though called a sea, the landlocked Caspian is
actually the largest lake on Earth, covering
(D) Though called a sea but it actually is the largest
lake on Earth, the landlocked Caspian covers
(E) Despite being called a sea, the largest lake on
Earth is actually the landlocked Caspian, covering

so "which/that clause" modifying far noun is considered INFERIOR. This means we have to eliminate it if there is a better choice.

is my thinking correct?
SVP
SVP
Followers: 279

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Out of America's fascination with all things antique have [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2014, 03:51
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Out of America's fascination with all things antique have   [#permalink] 30 Jul 2014, 03:51