Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 17:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Out of the publc's interest in the details of and conflicts

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [2] , given: 18

Out of the publc's interest in the details of and conflicts [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2011, 05:50
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

39% (01:54) correct 61% (01:13) wrong based on 373 sessions
Out of the publc's interest in the details of and conflicts in other people's lives have grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that are bringing "regular" people onto television screen with increasing frequency.

A. other people's lives have grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that are bringing
B. other people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that are bringing
C. another person's live has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that is bringing
D. other people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that is bringing
E. other people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that bring

Is there anyone think that this question is illed- written, as we all know that relative clause always stands right next to the noun modified?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Hung M.Tran
Faculty of Banking and Finance,
National Economics University of Vietnam

Follow me on Twitter : http://twitter.com/AndyTranHung

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 18

Re: Television show [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2011, 05:55
This post received
KUDOS
I chose B, because obviously the " reality shows" "are bringing" people to the screen, not the "market".
This question is from Kaplan 800.

Hung M.Tran

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 5

Re: Television show [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2011, 06:30
The sentence is inversed and 'the market' is the subject here, 'is bringing' is correct.

12/2010 GMATPrep 1 620 (Q34/V41)
01/2011 GMATPrep 2 640 (Q42/V36)
01/2011 GMATPrep 3 700 (Q47/V39)
02/2011 GMATPrep 4 710 (Q48/V39)
02/2011 MGMAT CAT 1 650 (Q46/V32)
02/2011 MGMAT CAT 2 680 (Q46/V36)
02/2011 MGMAT CAT 3 710 (Q45/V41)

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4 yr IT
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 26

Re: Television show [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2011, 07:40
think this question is already discussed and answer is thought as E

this time, we play for keeps

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 20

Re: Television show [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2011, 12:17
This sentence is confusing only because 'that' clause is not located immediately next to the one it refers to. But once the meaning of the sentence is understood, the answer is clear D.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 18

Re: Television show [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2011, 04:08
anyway, I still think this question is ill-written.

Hung M.Tran

Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 1775 [5] , given: 249

Re: Television show [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2011, 21:27
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Ok; this is from Kaplan and not from GMAC and so the OA is discussable

1. Is this question abiding by the relative pronoun’s touch rule? No and why?

2. The sentence is said to be reversed and the subject is market. So what? The crux is whether the market is bringing the crowds or the tele-shows are bringing. Can the market bring the crowds without the tele - shows? That is why the word 'booming' has been used to describe the market. By any logic, the market would have remained languishing but for the tele shows that were able to tickle the public’s interest in certain kind of things. So, we can’t but conclude that the relative clause indeed modifies the shows rather than market. So the use of the singular verb ‘is bringing’, hop - stepping the noun ‘shows’ and trying to modify the distant 'market' is incongruous in IMO.

I would rather vote B in

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UC Berkley, UCLA

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 66

Re: Television show [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2011, 06:11
It does seem ill written I agree with you guys.

Thank you for your kudoses Everyone!!!

"It always seems impossible until its done."
-Nelson Mandela

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 18

Re: Television show [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2011, 06:22
Nice explaination Daagh. 1+ to you.

Hung M.Tran

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 191 [1] , given: 2

Re: Television show [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2011, 12:20
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi Folks,

This one is indeed tricky because of the 'that' being placed near the word 'shows'. Grammatically, "...shows that bring "regular" people onto the screen with increasing frequency" is correct. However, (E) fails logically. "Reality" shows are already about regular people, but (E) means that the individual shows are featuring more and more regular people, since the plural verb means 'that' modifies 'shows. This seems a little silly; it's clear from the rest of the sentence that the make-up television as a whole is changing, not just the formula of a few shows.

Further, the word 'brings' is the simple present tense. Although there are several ways to use this tense, the most common one--and the one that applies here--is the habitual action. Use of the word 'brings' means that those shows are not just shifting immediately from actors to regular folks, but have been doing so as a matter of course!

The GMAT will usually have errors in its sentences that make them grammatically untenable. But sometimes a grammatically correct but nonsensical answer will show up, and those must be eliminated too. Since (E) has a long-term habit of more and more regular folks showing up on shows that are already 'reality' shows, we can conclude that it does not produce a particularly sensible meaning.

On the other hand, (D) has "...a booming market for "reality" television shows that is...", which looks fishy because of the singular verb 'is'. But 'is' doesn't apply to the plural noun 'shows' in choice (D). Rather, the market (for shows) is changing. (D) is sound construction and matches the intent of the sentence, and for those reasons is the correct answer.

Hope this helps!

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Television show [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2011, 19:07
E cannot be the answer because "bring" can be used with a plural noun. Here the noun is " a booming market". Thus, "is bringing" or option D is correct.

vinzycoolfire wrote:
think this question is already discussed and answer is thought as E
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Television show [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2011, 21:23
KapTeacherEli wrote:
Hi Folks,

This one is indeed tricky because of the 'that' being placed near the word 'shows'. Grammatically, "...shows that bring "regular" people onto the screen with increasing frequency" is correct. However, (E) fails logically. "Reality" shows are already about regular people, but (E) means that the individual shows are featuring more and more regular people, since the plural verb means 'that' modifies 'shows. This seems a little silly; it's clear from the rest of the sentence that the make-up television as a whole is changing, not just the formula of a few shows.

Further, the word 'brings' is the simple present tense. Although there are several ways to use this tense, the most common one--and the one that applies here--is the habitual action. Use of the word 'brings' means that those shows are not just shifting immediately from actors to regular folks, but have been doing so as a matter of course!

The GMAT will usually have errors in its sentences that make them grammatically untenable. But sometimes a grammatically correct but nonsensical answer will show up, and those must be eliminated too. Since (E) has a long-term habit of more and more regular folks showing up on shows that are already 'reality' shows, we can conclude that it does not produce a particularly sensible meaning.

On the other hand, (D) has "...a booming market for "reality" television shows that is...", which looks fishy because of the singular verb 'is'. But 'is' doesn't apply to the plural noun 'shows' in choice (D). Rather, the market (for shows) is changing. (D) is sound construction and matches the intent of the sentence, and for those reasons is the correct answer.

Hope this helps!

Really it doesn't help. Still, the question for me why it is not B? Is it a market that brings new customers or shows do that? For me, shows definitely do that, if you have another opinion please explain.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Power is given only to those who dare to lower themselves and pick it up. Only one thing matters, one thing; to be able to dare!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: Out of the publc's interest in the details of and conflicts [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2011, 23:35
wow! nice question, but still can't decide between B and D.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '17
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Out of the publc's interest in the details of and conflicts [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 07:53
andysimple wrote:
Out of the publc's interest in the details of and conflicts in other people's lives have grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that are bringing "regular" people onto television screen with increasing frequency.

A. other people's lives have grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that are bringing
B. other people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that are bringing
C. another person's live has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that is bringing
D. other people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that is bringing
E. other people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that bring

Is there anyone think that this question is illed- written, as we all know that relative clause always stands right next to the noun modified?

Have vs has => "has" win because it modifies public interest

"that" modifies "market". "for reality television shows" also modifies "market"

Between C and D. "other people's lives" is more concise.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager
Status: Taking heavily leveraged but calculated risks at all times
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: HBS '15, Stanford '15
GMAT Date: 01-31-2012

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 12

Re: Out of the publc's interest in the details of and conflicts [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 14:19
The choice D makes sense since the subject is the "market" and not the "shows".
But still E seems a better choice to me, since it really beyond the scope of the test taker to judge whether the industry as a whole changes or just the "formula" changes for a few shows.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 191 [1] , given: 2

Re: Television show [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 15:14
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
LuckyOne wrote:

Really it doesn't help. Still, the question for me why it is not B? Is it a market that brings new customers or shows do that? For me, shows definitely do that, if you have another opinion please explain.

(B), because of the plural verb 'are,' give us a long complex noun phrase: "reality" shows that are bringing regular people onto television screens with increasing regularity. (B) also tells us that there is a booming market for this type of show.

This, despite appearing grammatically correct, is logically inconsistent. Reality shows by definition bring regular people onto the screeen; it doesn't make sense for such shows to bring those people on with 'increasing regularity. Moreover, (B) implies that ONLY the reality shows that keep increasing the number of regular people they feature make up the 'booming market.' This also isn't the intended meaning of the sentence.

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 304 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Out of the publc's interest in the details of and conflicts [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 22:06

D. other people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows that is bringing CORRECT

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 51

Re: Out of the publc's interest in the details of and conflicts [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2012, 22:52
+1 for D.Market.........is bringing.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Out of the publc's interest in the details of and conflicts [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2012, 03:38
If "...That are bringing regular people…" modifies market, how come a market can "bring people onto television"?
IMO "That are bringing regular people…" modifies tv shows, so and B would be correct.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 308

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Out of the publc's interest in the details of and conflicts [#permalink] New post 09 May 2014, 11:27
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Out of the publc's interest in the details of and conflicts   [#permalink] 09 May 2014, 11:27