Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 18:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Out of the public's interest in the details of and conflicts

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [1] , given: 33

Out of the public's interest in the details of and conflicts [#permalink] New post 22 May 2012, 08:17
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

38% (02:05) correct 62% (00:58) wrong based on 373 sessions
Out of the public's interest in the details of and conflicts in other people's lives have grown a booming market for "reality" television shows, which are bringing "regular" people onto the television screen with increasing frequency.

A. other people's lives have grown a booming market for "reality" television shows, which are bringing
B. other people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows, which are bringing
C. another people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows, which is bringing
D. other people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows, which is bringing
E. other people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows, which bring

Guys please reason out your answer to this question!
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 33

Re: Kaplan 800 - SC Subject Verb [#permalink] New post 22 May 2012, 08:22
guys this question was discussed a few years back but the topic ended inconclusive. Hence i am reposting the question as I look for a satisfactory answer. IMO the answer should be E. You can check the previous thread here doubts-on-a-subject-verb-agreement-question-126783.html#p1036438
Expert Post
6 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 254

Kudos [?]: 1453 [6] , given: 245

Re: Kaplan 800 - SC Subject Verb [#permalink] New post 22 May 2012, 21:29
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
To understand this question in its logical perspective, one needs to appreciate that the shows themselves create the interest by virtue of their sensational nature and therefore people throng to see them. Therefore, it is clear that the shows entice people. Then a demand emerges and the commercial people step in to cash in on the ready-made boom to make easy money. Therefore, the booming market is the end of the chain and not the beginning.
If this tenet is clear, then this can be easily solved. Here the verb has to be plural either -are bringing or a simple present tense bring. It is now the importance of the increasing frequency can be realized. It a frequently changing one means that it is a dynamic factor and an on- going affair. What better way could be there than to describe in a progressive tense—namely, are bringing. Please also note that choice B meticulously abides by the touch rule of relative pronoun. Therefore, B is the best IMO.
Kaplan’ choice of D as the official answer is understandable, considering Kaplan’s fancy for gaining popularity more through controversies than through logic

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT Date: 07-11-2012
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 4

Re: Kaplan 800 - SC Subject Verb [#permalink] New post 23 May 2012, 00:40
This post received
KUDOS
@daagh Your explanation was really hard for me to understand. Can you please rephrase since I got D in 43 seconds.

My reasoning is as follows:

A. other people's lives have grown a booming market for "reality" television shows, which are bringing
B. other people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows, which are bringing
C. another people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows, which is bringing
D. other people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows, which is bringing
E. other people's lives has grown a booming market for "reality" television shows, which bring

First, the subject here is public's interest. So, we need a singular verb to accompany it (has NOT have).
So, A out.

Now, we all know another should definitely be allowed here. Since, this is seldom used in GMAT and if used it comes in the form of a comparative.
So, C out.

Also, we know that people are coming with increasing frequency (Tense used needs be future tense "verb+ing")
So, E out.

Last check, exactly what is bringing. IMO the interest is bringing. So, interest is singular term. Therefore, B is out.

D is the winner.

Hope I helped :)

“When I was young I observed that nine out of ten things I did were failures, so I did ten times more work.” ~ Bernard Shaw

Kudos me if I helped you in any way.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1453 [1] , given: 245

Re: Kaplan 800 - SC Subject Verb [#permalink] New post 23 May 2012, 03:31
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
@Aki
The trap of the passage is to convolute it by reverse writing, while the trick of the solution is to write in the normal form.
The original sentence reads as:

Out of the public's interest in the details of and conflicts in other people's lives have grown a booming market for "reality" television shows, which are bringing "regular" people onto the television screen with increasing frequency.

The reversed order will be

A booming market for "reality" television shows have grown out of the public's interest in the details of and conflicts in other people's lives, which are bringing "regular" people onto the television screen with increasing frequency.
After flipping, you may now realize that the subject of the main clause is not public interest but a booming market. All the same, the subject is still is singular and there is no issue about the singular verb has grown. Therefore, A is gone

You mean to say that the use of another has no place in this context, I suppose. Therefore, C is out and I couldn’t agree more

It is not clear what you imply by saying we need future tense verb+ing and so E is out.
I have a doubt that you are rather taking verb+ing as future tense. Verb+ ing (here in this case bringing) is never a future tense. It can be a present participle or a gerund. It can be part of past progressive when we say - was or were bringing-, part of present progressive when we say is/are brining or part of a future progressive when we say will be bringing. When we use them in progressive tenses, we need to combine them with a suitable auxiliary verb to mark the tense.

In the last check, you have just stopped short of the end. It is not the interest that brings the people. The passage makes it clear in the very beginning itself that the interest is in the details and conflicts of other people’s lives. Therefore, it is the shows that draw the crowds. All that I explained in my previous note was just that. I am sorry you could not make much out of it.

However, I wonder how the flouting of the touch rule of, which is excused in Choice D. Choice B truthfully follows this touch rule creed and hence is grammatically superior to D unless somebody wants to go out of the way to justify the modification of which with the distant interest

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Kaplan 800 - SC Subject Verb [#permalink] New post 23 May 2012, 05:20
@daagh why did you choose B over E?
Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1453 [0], given: 245

Re: Kaplan 800 - SC Subject Verb [#permalink] New post 23 May 2012, 06:51
Expert's post
@ vibhav

Chose B over E for nothing much of grammatical reasons. Since the people are being drawn with increasing frequency, it looks like an on-going thing. So I think a progressive tense such as which are bringing will be better than just a staid present tense which we bring

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 11

Re: Kaplan 800 - SC Subject Verb [#permalink] New post 23 May 2012, 09:52
the statement has "shows" then shouldn't it be "are"? or "bring" ?- singular/plural rules?
or is there any reason why here it shouldn't work?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Kaplan 800 - SC Subject Verb [#permalink] New post 23 May 2012, 11:17
@daagh thanks. I was pretty confused if i should pick present progressive tense, since most materials say that gmat prefers simple tenses! Any ways I think in the context of this sentence progressive tense seems better. Though it would be of good help if you could pull out some rule that helps to make such a choice in tenses.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Kaplan 800 - SC Subject Verb [#permalink] New post 23 May 2012, 11:18
@kashishh iMo which modifies reality shows (plural) and so the subsequent verbs should be accordingly.
Manager
Manager
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 14

Re: Kaplan 800 - SC Subject Verb [#permalink] New post 23 May 2012, 15:30
My answer was E.

Ron has answered this question very well http://www.beatthegmat.com/reality-tele ... 54890.html
he says B/D could be the answer. This question, though, has a that instead of a which. That means this does not really apply as the modifier has to the closest one. For this one, I guess B would be the best answer.

Missed the fact that continous tense is needed. I make this mistake often.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Kaplan 800 - SC Subject Verb [#permalink] New post 24 May 2012, 09:20
thanks akrish1982 for the link.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Kaplan 800 - SC Subject Verb [#permalink] New post 24 May 2012, 09:22
for the benefit of ppl reading this.. the most important takeaway for me formm that link was
"Use of the simple tense would indicate that the market or television shows always or generally bring(s) people onto the screen with increasing frequency, changing the intended meaning of the sentence.

Natural disasters bring out the best in people. (an atemporal observation)
The earthquake in Haiti is bringing out the best in people (happening now). "
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Out of the public's interest in the details of and conflicts [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2012, 03:45
vibhav wrote:

Guys please reason out your answer to this question!

The answer to this question is B. The subject here is "booming market" so "has" is needed. To decide between is bringing/are bringing we need to look at what "which" is referring to. In this case which is referring to television shows so we need are bringing.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 9

Re: Out of the public's interest in the details of and conflicts [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2013, 11:50
E and B are close calls for me, I went with B because of the "which" modifier " touch rule. Hence is this case which is modifying "television Shows" and not public interest which is far away.

To me, B is gramatically superior to D, BUT can somebody tell me wether the reverse is true in case of meaning?
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 336 [0], given: 299

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Out of the public's interest in the details of and conflicts [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2013, 22:32
i would go for B due to the which touch rule.
Can some one please explain this and if D is correct, then when to use the which touch rule ...

ISB Class of 2016 | Chat Session with ISB ADCOM | How to get started with Essays | GMAT Retake Debrief
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ISB Class of 2015 | My GMAT Debrief | My ISB Interview | General interview tips | How to tackle "Do you have anything to ask" question | Important links by the ISB ADCOM for applications and interview preparation

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 620 Q49 V26
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 542 [1] , given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Out of the public's interest in the details of and conflicts [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2013, 22:48
This post received
KUDOS
ankurgupta03 wrote:
i would go for B due to the which touch rule.
Can some one please explain this and if D is correct, then when to use the which touch rule ...

Hi ankur,

this is a debatable question...as based on OA....so will suggest you to discard it from your list.

moreover IMO B too.

which is modifying tv shows...so we need plural verb here.

hope it helps

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Out of the public's interest in the details of and conflicts [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2013, 08:11
Guys now that I revisit this question, I feel D is right. Which refers to the booming market ( singular) hence we need 'is' not 'are'. Has refers to people's interest which is again singular.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Out of the public's interest in the details of and conflicts [#permalink] New post 16 May 2014, 09:37
it cannot refer to the booming markets as WHICH needs to refer to the preceding word! The question is flawed and the correct answer would be is bringing here. This question is one very good reason not to trust on KAPLAN!
Re: Out of the public's interest in the details of and conflicts   [#permalink] 16 May 2014, 09:37