Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 10:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Out of the public s interest in the details of and conflicts

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 18

Out of the public s interest in the details of and conflicts [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2012, 20:29
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

30% (01:55) correct 70% (01:17) wrong based on 190 sessions
Out of the public’s interest in the details of and conflicts in other people’s lives have grown a booming market for “reality” television shows, which are bringing “regular” people onto the television screen with increasing frequency.

1. other people’s lives have grown a booming market for “reality” television shows, which are bringing
2. other people’s lives has grown a booming market for “reality” television shows, which are bringing
3. another person’s life has grown a booming market for a “reality” television show, which is bringing
4. other people’s lives has grown a booming market for “reality” television shows, which is bringing
5. other people’s lives has grown a booming market for “reality” television shows, which bring
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by eybrj2 on 13 Jun 2012, 20:39, edited 2 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 18

Re: From Kaplan 800 SC 27 [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2012, 20:37
Is a subject of this sentence "a boomining market"

Then, can I say like this?
-> A booming market for "reality"television shows has grown out of the public's interest in the details of and conflicts in other people's lives.

4. other people’s lives has grown a booming market for “reality” television shows, which is bringing (correct answer)

Also, as far as I know, "which" always modifies a preceding word. That's why I picked 5 as an answer.
But in the correct answer "which" modifies "a booming market"
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: From Kaplan 800 SC 27 [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2012, 02:21
Something is wrong with OA.

Which is modifing Shows. 'Shows' is plural so which are bringing is correct constuction. I fail to undestand why option D is correct. Please put some light on official explaination. KAPLAN experts please clarify.

-------Analyze why option A in SC wrong-------

Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Finance
GMAT Date: 08-04-2012
WE: Consulting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 2

Re: From Kaplan 800 SC 27 [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2012, 08:51
I picked D but I'm not entirely convinced because of the "which" issue as mentioned above.

My rationale for picking D:

The shows are not bringing people onto the television screen. It is the market (think supply/demand) that generates an increased frequency.

make each day your masterpiece

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 11

Re: Out of the public’s interest in the details of and conflicts [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2012, 12:41
i noted three things
1.) have - with public interest, must be 'has'
2.) modifier 'which' are for shows - shows is plural so 'are'
3.) people's lives - shouldn't it be people's life, i think person's life' is better usage but not able to get grammatical reason for it

i opted B - and wrong.
Expert Post
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 2

Re: Out of the public’s interest in the details of and conflicts [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2012, 11:15
Expert's post
Hi folks,

You've chosen a tricky question indeed--I've seen no fewer then four threads on the subject! But here is one from last year with a detailed explanation of why the correct answers is correct. I hope it clears up your confusion!

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Analyst (Other)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 37

Re: Out of the public’s interest in the details of and conflicts [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2012, 11:21
Hm...interesting sentence. Can't see errors. Jumping right into choices:

- While reading B, clearly see that "has" is better than have, so eliminate A
- Eliminate C from "another person's"
- Eliminate E because "which bring" doesn't work with "increasing frequency"

So it's B or D, so "which are" or "which is". I'm not sure here because this seems like it could refer to either the booming market or tv shows, but it ultimately seems like booming market as that connects to increasing frequency. So D it is.

Hope that helps.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 4

Re: Out of the public’s interest in the details of and conflicts [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2012, 10:41
other people’s lives has grown a booming market for “reality” television shows, which is bringing

D sounds correct here because of use of singular "is" and "television shows" and use of "has"

FOCUS..this is all I need!

Ku-Do!

SVP
SVP
Followers: 277

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Out of the public s interest in the details of and conflicts [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2014, 09:03
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT Date: 10-28-2014
GPA: 4

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Out of the public s interest in the details of and conflicts [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2014, 13:16
eybrj2 wrote:
Out of the public’s interest in the details of and conflicts in other people’s lives have grown a booming market for “reality” television shows, which are bringing “regular” people onto the television screen with increasing frequency.

1. other people’s lives have grown a booming market for “reality” television shows, which are bringing
2. other people’s lives has grown a booming market for “reality” television shows, which are bringing
3. another person’s life has grown a booming market for a “reality” television show, which is bringing
4. other people’s lives has grown a booming market for “reality” television shows, which is bringing
5. other people’s lives has grown a booming market for “reality” television shows, which bring

I disagree with OA, to me it seems that D is incorrect. The reasons are as follows:
other people’s lives has grown a booming market for “reality” television shows, which is bringing >>> since "which " is pointing at "shows " the verb should be plural, since noun shows is the subject. Subject of the earlier verb (has grown) is correct as singular, since it refers to subject "a booming market".
I think option B is a better answer.
Re: Out of the public s interest in the details of and conflicts   [#permalink] 14 Oct 2014, 13:16