Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 16:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Outbreaks of Rift Valley fever occur irregularly in East

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 266

Kudos [?]: 2245 [1] , given: 690

Outbreaks of Rift Valley fever occur irregularly in East [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2012, 10:51
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

62% (02:27) correct 38% (01:38) wrong based on 141 sessions
Outbreaks of Rift Valley fever occur irregularly in East Africa, several years apart. When outbreaks do occur, they kill thousands of cattle. A livestock vaccine against the disease exists but is rarely used. It is too expensive for farmers to use routinely, and since it is not effective until a month after vaccination, administering it after an outbreak begins helps very little. Nevertheless, experts predict that use of the vaccine will increase significantly within the next few years.

Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest justification for the experts’ prediction?

A. Rift Valley fever is spread by mosquitoes, but each outbreak is so widespread that it is impractical to control it by using insecticides.
B. When an outbreak of Rift Valley fever occurs, unaffected countries often refuse to import livestock from the countries affected by the outbreak.
C. It would take less than a month for producers of the vaccine to adjust their production operations to cope with a large increase in demand.
D. Many cattle farmers in East Africa are nomadic or live in remote villages, and such farmers, who have little access to modern veterinary medicine, are particularly hard hit by outbreaks of Rift Valley fever.
E. Recently published research has shown that certain identifiable climatic conditions are almost invariably followed, within two to five months, by an outbreak of Rift Valley fever.

I picked D

i would like to know why is not D and the real level of this question based on your judgment. I supposed the tag

Thanks
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension
7. MY VERBAL QUESTION BANK

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Schools: UCSD (Rady) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 186

Kudos [?]: 84 [2] , given: 3

Re: Outbreaks of Rift Valley fever occur irregularly in East Afr [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2012, 12:56
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This is an "explain the discrepancy" question (or as I sometimes call them, "explain the surprise"):

PREMISE 1: RVF vaccine too expensive to use all the time (more expensive than damage caused)
PREMISE 2: RVF vaccine needs to be used 1 mo+ before outbreak occurs
EXPECTATION: RVF vaccine will not be used
SURPRISE: RVF vaccine will be used soon anyway

Our task: Figure out how the premises AND the surprise could all be true at once. To do that, we need a way to predict the outbreak (Premise 1), and to do so at least 1 month in advance (Premise 2). (E) demonstrates very nicely how this is possible, touching on both premises, and also noting that the study is recent thereby explaining why we didn't figure this out before. (D) is a sad story, but doesn't tell us how these farmers could afford the vaccine OR how they could predict an outbreak, so it doesn't connect to either premise.

Level is probably about a 500-600.

Ryan Jacobs | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 2245 [0], given: 690

Re: Outbreaks of Rift Valley fever occur irregularly in East Afr [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2012, 14:11
Expert's post
rjacobsMGMAT wrote:
This is an "explain the discrepancy" question (or as I sometimes call them, "explain the surprise"):

PREMISE 1: RVF vaccine too expensive to use all the time (more expensive than damage caused)

Our task: Figure out how the premises AND the surprise could all be true at once. To do that, we need a way to predict the outbreak (Premise 1), and to do so at least 1 month in advance (Premise 2). (E) demonstrates very nicely how this is possible, touching on both premises, and also noting that the study is recent thereby explaining why we didn't figure this out before. (D) is a sad story, but doesn't tell us how these farmers could afford the vaccine OR how they could predict an outbreak, so it doesn't connect to either premise.

Pretty Clear :)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension

Manager
Manager
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 14

Re: Outbreaks of Rift Valley fever occur irregularly in East Afr [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2012, 14:39
Quote:

Really? 500-600? i had to read some sentences twice to understand them. it was not very difficult to reason though.

my reasoning for E was that:

Conclu - Experts predict use of vaccine will increase.
reasons for not increasing
1. Cost
2. one month validity

so, before I read the answers, I thought, either someone should have found a cheaper vaccine or the validity would increase by more than a month.

A-D were nowhere near. E, though not one of what I had guess, was on similar lines. So, I concluded E.
Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 2245 [0], given: 690

Re: Outbreaks of Rift Valley fever occur irregularly in East Afr [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2012, 15:00
Expert's post
akrish1982 wrote:
Quote:

Really? 500-600? i had to read some sentences twice to understand them. it was not very difficult to reason though.

my reasoning for E was that:

Conclu - Experts predict use of vaccine will increase.
reasons for not increasing
1. Cost
2. one month validity

so, before I read the answers, I thought, either someone should have found a cheaper vaccine or the validity would increase by more than a month.

A-D were nowhere near. E, though not one of what I had guess, was on similar lines. So, I concluded E.

I agree with this level because for me the argument was straighforward. Simply, I picked the wrong question and sometimes (rarely) I do not understand my mistake.

This question came after a drill of 50 CR in a row.........may be I was tired :)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

Re: Outbreaks of Rift Valley fever occur irregularly in East Afr [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2012, 02:32
rjacobsMGMAT wrote:

IMO none of the above choices is the correct option. A - D can be ruled out completely. Per option E it says some identifiable climatic conditions are followed by an outbreak. Does that not mean that these climate conditions come after the outbreak not before? If they are coming after then how can we detect this outbreak earlier?
"E. Recently published research has shown that certain identifiable climatic conditions are almost invariably followed, within two to five months, by an outbreak of Rift Valley fever."

Please give kudos if you like my reply!

BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.33
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 11

Re: Outbreaks of Rift Valley fever occur irregularly in East Afr [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2012, 20:36
sanki779 wrote:
rjacobsMGMAT wrote:

IMO none of the above choices is the correct option. A - D can be ruled out completely. Per option E it says some identifiable climatic conditions are followed by an outbreak. Does that not mean that these climate conditions come after the outbreak not before? If they are coming after then how can we detect this outbreak earlier?
"E. Recently published research has shown that certain identifiable climatic conditions are almost invariably followed, within two to five months, by an outbreak of Rift Valley fever."

Nope, the option says the climatic conditions were followed by the outbreak of the Rift Valley fever.
Hence , this makes option E correct .

You want something, go get it . Period !

Current Student
Affiliations: SAE
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 269

CAT Tests
Re: Outbreaks of Rift Valley fever occur irregularly in East [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2012, 00:57
carcass wrote:
Outbreaks of Rift Valley fever occur irregularly in East Africa, several years apart. When outbreaks do occur, they kill thousands of cattle. A livestock vaccine against the disease exists but is rarely used. It is too expensive for farmers to use routinely, and since it is not effective until a month after vaccination, administering it after an outbreak begins helps very little. Nevertheless, experts predict that use of the vaccine will increase significantly within the next few years.

Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest justification for the experts’ prediction?

A. Rift Valley fever is spread by mosquitoes, but each outbreak is so widespread that it is impractical to control it by using insecticides.
B. When an outbreak of Rift Valley fever occurs, unaffected countries often refuse to import livestock from the countries affected by the outbreak.
C. It would take less than a month for producers of the vaccine to adjust their production operations to cope with a large increase in demand.
D. Many cattle farmers in East Africa are nomadic or live in remote villages, and such farmers, who have little access to modern veterinary medicine, are particularly hard hit by outbreaks of Rift Valley fever.
E. Recently published research has shown that certain identifiable climatic conditions are almost invariably followed, within two to five months, by an outbreak of Rift Valley fever.

I picked D

i would like to know why is not D and the real level of this question based on your judgment. I supposed the tag

Thanks

Prediction - that use of the vaccine will increase significantly within the next few years.

Anything which strengthen the prediction is our answer.

A. Rift Valley fever is spread by mosquitoes, but each outbreak is so widespread that it is impractical to control it by using insecticides. (Irrelevant - Eliminate)
B. When an outbreak of Rift Valley fever occurs, unaffected countries often refuse to import livestock from the countries affected by the outbreak. (Irrelevant - Eliminate)
C. It would take less than a month for producers of the vaccine to adjust their production operations to cope with a large increase in demand. (Close – Keep it for now)
D. Many cattle farmers in East Africa are nomadic or live in remote villages, and such farmers, who have little access to modern veterinary medicine, are particularly hard hit by outbreaks of Rift Valley fever. (Weakens the prediction - Eliminate)
E. Recently published research has shown that certain identifiable climatic conditions are almost invariably followed, within two to five months, by an outbreak of Rift Valley fever. (This is our answer because if we know the time when the outbreak is going to happen we can be prepared with the vaccine, thus increasing the production)

First Attempt 710 - first-attempt-141273.html

VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 247 [0], given: 67

Re: Outbreaks of Rift Valley fever occur irregularly in East [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2012, 03:38
Decode this part of premise and you will be through " it is not effective until a month after vaccination"
<< Vaccine is effective only after a month of vaccination, Hence to make it effective, livestock should be vaccinated atleast a month in advance of the outbreak, But "do we know the time of vaccination">>>

Conclusion : Nevertheless, experts predict that use of the vaccine will increase significantly within the next few years.
We need to support

If the use of vaccine will increse that means both the prob i.e. the cost or the time is going to be eliminated or either
Look for an option that solves the problem

E says that the 5 months before the identifiable climate hence the time is known

Hence E supports
VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 247 [0], given: 67

Re: Outbreaks of Rift Valley fever occur irregularly in East [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2012, 03:39
For sure this is not 500 - 600 level prob its above 600 level
SVP
SVP
Followers: 229

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Outbreaks of Rift Valley fever occur irregularly in East [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2014, 14:58
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Outbreaks of Rift Valley fever occur irregularly in East   [#permalink] 31 Jul 2014, 14:58