Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 07:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Outbreaks of Rift Valley fever occur irregularly in East

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 250 [0], given: 67

Re: My American friend and I have been arguing for 2 days...Pls [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2012, 10:23
I got stuck up with A and B
but eliminating B is very easy since nothing in the argument is mentioned about the revenue from livestock business or any such issue which can give a clue for this answer to be true.
But keeping in mind the principle of strengthening it becomes easy to go with A.
Look for an option that removes the possibility of another alternative.
Concl Consumption of vaccine will increase .........Ask why to it......If 2nd system eradicate the fever is not helpful......Hence Option A wins
E can be eliminated at first sight as it says about climatic condition the impact of which is not at all discussed in the argument.
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 11-18-2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 23

Re: Outbreaks of Rift Valley fever occur irregularly in East [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2012, 08:09
still confuse
y not D?

Thriving for CHANGE

Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 251 [0], given: 543

Re: Outbreaks of Rift Valley fever occur irregularly in East [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2013, 08:14
Can someone provide a detailed analysis on this one. Thanks!

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1131 [1] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Outbreaks of Rift Valley fever occur irregularly in East [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2013, 08:42
This post received
KUDOS
fozzzy wrote:
Can someone provide a detailed analysis on this one. Thanks!

Vaccine's drawbacks:
I)It is too expensive
II)It is not effective until a month after vaccination

Nevertheless, experts predict that use of the vaccine will increase significantly within the next few years.

Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest justification for the experts’ prediction?

What answer are we looking for? It will be something that will eliminate a current defect of the vaccine, or will be an advantage that will balance everything: like "has been found that the vaccine makes the cattle immune to every type of disease and increases its reproductivity rate"(I'm making this up).

A. Rift Valley fever is spread by mosquitoes, but each outbreak is so widespread that it is impractical to control it by using insecticides.
Irrelevant.
B. When an outbreak of Rift Valley fever occurs, unaffected countries often refuse to import livestock from the countries affected by the outbreak.
Maybe... this could be seen as an advantage to use the vaccine, because revenues for the farmers could be lower if they do not use it. We can keep it for now...
C. It would take less than a month for producers of the vaccine to adjust their production operations to cope with a large increase in demand.
Irrelevant because it does not offer an argument like those described above.
D. Many cattle farmers in East Africa are nomadic or live in remote villages, and such farmers, who have little access to modern veterinary medicine, are particularly hard hit by outbreaks of Rift Valley fever.
This is just a fact that has no impact on the prediction.
E. Recently published research has shown that certain identifiable climatic conditions are almost invariably followed, within two to five months, by an outbreak of Rift Valley fever.
This seems good as well because undermines the drawback #2. If we can predict an outbreak two months before, the vaccine (that takes one month to be effective) could be used more than today.

B and E are the contenders. I would look at the key words there to determine the correct answer.
B unaffected countries often refuse<== so the fact that B presents has already happened before, so it's not something that could change the current scenario and increase the use of the vaccine.
E. Recently published research<== this is a game changer. Recently new data has been released, so the situation described by the argument is actually changed.

E is the best answer

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 291

Re: Outbreaks of Rift Valley fever occur irregularly in East [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2013, 04:35
I don't seem to be understanding the language used in E. What I followed was that, certain climatic condition follow 'after' the outbreak. Is it before or after I am unable to follow.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 50 [1] , given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Outbreaks of Rift Valley fever occur irregularly in East [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2013, 09:05
This post received
KUDOS
mohnish104 wrote:
I don't seem to be understanding the language used in E. What I followed was that, certain climatic condition follow 'after' the outbreak. Is it before or after I am unable to follow.

Yeah, the wording is especially designed to cause confusion :-). But option E is correct.

You would generally say
storms follow humid conditions
than
humid conditions are followed by storms. Both are correct though second one is wordy.

Option E says, identifiable climatic conditions are almost invariably followed, within two to five months, by an outbreak of Rift Valley fever.

--It's one thing to get defeated, but another to accept it.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 291

Re: Outbreaks of Rift Valley fever occur irregularly in East [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2013, 00:53
Thanks Ramananda, I will keep repeating it. you are my teacher now. If I am stuck with verbal, I am gonna come to you. :-)
Re: Outbreaks of Rift Valley fever occur irregularly in East   [#permalink] 17 Oct 2013, 00:53