Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 04:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Outbreaks of Rift Valley fever occur irregularly in East

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Outbreaks of Rift Valley fever occur irregularly in East [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2008, 17:55
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

62% (02:22) correct 38% (01:53) wrong based on 289 sessions
Outbreaks of Rift Valley fever occur irregularly in East Africa, several years apart. When outbreaks do occur, they kill thousands of cattle. A livestock vaccine against the disease exists but is rarely used. It is too expensive for farmers to use routinely, and since it is not effective until a month after vaccination, administering it after an outbreak begins helps very little. Nevertheless, experts predict that use of the vaccine will increase significantly within the next few years.
Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest justification for the experts’ prediction?
A. Rift Valley fever is spread by mosquitoes, but each outbreak is so widespread that it is impractical to control it by using insecticides.
B. When an outbreak of Rift Valley fever occurs, unaffected countries often refuse to import livestock from the countries affected by the outbreak.
C. It would take less than a month for producers of the vaccine to adjust their production operations to cope with a large increase in demand.
D. Many cattle farmers in East Africa are nomadic or live in remote villages, and such farmers, who have little access to modern veterinary medicine, are particularly hard hit by outbreaks of Rift Valley fever.
E. Recently published research has shown that certain identifiable climatic conditions are almost invariably followed, within two to five months, by an outbreak of Rift Valley fever.

My American friend and I have been arguing for 2 days...Pls explain your answer!
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Zarrolou on 26 Jul 2013, 08:44, edited 1 time in total.
Added OA.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 430 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Fever [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2008, 18:26
Its E. "Recently published research has shown that certain identifiable climatic conditions are almost invariably followed, within two to five months, by an outbreak of Rift Valley fever."

This research can predict when a Rift Valley fever will break out and give more than a month's warning in advance. ("It is too expensive for farmers to use routinely, and since it is not effective until a month after vaccination")
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Fever [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2008, 19:27
notahug wrote:
My American friend and I have been arguing for 2 days...Pls explain your answer!

Outbreaks of Rift Valley fever occur irregularly in East Africa, several years apart. When outbreaks do occur, they kill thousands of cattle. A livestock vaccine against the disease exists but is rarely used. It is too expensive for farmers to use routinely, and since it is not effective until a month after vaccination, administering it after an outbreak begins helps very little. Nevertheless, experts predict that use of the vaccine will increase significantly within the next few years.
Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest justification for the experts’ prediction?
A. Rift Valley fever is spread by mosquitoes, but each outbreak is so widespread that it is impractical to control it by using insecticides.
B. When an outbreak of Rift Valley fever occurs, unaffected countries often refuse to import livestock from the countries affected by the outbreak.
C. It would take less than a month for producers of the vaccine to adjust their production operations to cope with a large increase in demand.
D. Many cattle farmers in East Africa are nomadic or live in remote villages, and such farmers, who have little access to modern veterinary medicine, are particularly hard hit by outbreaks of Rift Valley fever.
E. Recently published research has shown that certain identifiable climatic conditions are almost invariably followed, within two to five months, by an outbreak of Rift Valley fever.

pretty sure it is E.
Problem with vaccine is 1. expensive, 2. one month effective delay
E negates #2 since we know that it will occur two to five months in advance.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Fever [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2008, 22:06
One more E.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 274 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: CR-Fever [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2008, 23:25
bsd_lover wrote:
Its E. "Recently published research has shown that certain identifiable climatic conditions are almost invariably followed, within two to five months, by an outbreak of Rift Valley fever."

This research can predict when a Rift Valley fever will break out and give more than a month's warning in advance. ("It is too expensive for farmers to use routinely, and since it is not effective until a month after vaccination")

Mouse,

You ran quickly! :lol:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Fever [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2008, 02:56
notahug wrote:

I go for E.

My reasoning;

A. Rift Valley fever is spread by mosquitoes, but each outbreak is so strengthen or weaken the argument.)
B. When an outbreak of Rift Valley fever occurs, unaffected countries often refuse to import livestock from the countries affected by the outbreak. (this may be the case , this could be a reason for the countries in East Africa to try to control the disease as revenue is being lost but it is not a strong enough reason)
C. It would take less than a month for producers of the vaccine to adjust their production operations to cope with a large increase in demand. (the passage does not talk about a large increase in demand it talks about high costs and a month for this drug to be effectiveonce animals have been vaccinated. No direct relationship here)
D. Many cattle farmers in East Africa are nomadic or live in remote villages, and such farmers, who have little access to modern veterinary medicine, are particularly hard hit by outbreaks of Rift Valley fever. (this may be true but not strong enough to justify the expert's predictions)
E. Recently published research has shown that certain identifiable climatic conditions are almost invariably followed, within two to five months, by an outbreak of Rift Valley fever. (Identifiable being the keyword. Regular occuring Climatic conditions = Regular Occuring Rift Valley Fever. Countries in East africa have no choice but to try and tackle the disease otherwise it could have adverse effects) no matter what.
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 430 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Fever [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2008, 03:02
haha thanks sondenso .. FYI its not a mouse - its a daemon.

sondenso wrote:
bsd_lover wrote:

Mouse,

You ran quickly! :lol:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Fever [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2008, 06:10
i Too AGree with E.

but more importantly i would like to see why your american friend had an argument over this. :)

regards,
Neo
Manager
Manager

Re: CR-Fever [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2008, 06:24
Neochronic wrote:
i Too AGree with E.

but more importantly i would like to see why your american friend had an argument over this. :)

regards,
Neo

Because he said A, but I come to E :lol:

He argued that farmers can not use insecticide, therefore they must use vaccine otherwise no ways to protect their cattles. What's wrong with this reasoning???

Besides, E just says that the outbreak will occur in two-five months, yes it just ensures that if the farmers use the vaccine, there will be enough time for vaccine to prove its effectiveness. Nothing can ensures that the farmers will use it.

I dont have strong counter-argument for his reasoning!

Besides, OA is A :help2
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Fever [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2008, 06:44
After reading the stem again and looking back at the choices, A makes sense now.
Manager
Manager

Re: CR-Fever [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2008, 07:35
Vavali wrote:
After reading the stem again and looking back at the choices, A makes sense now.

But your previous reasoning is so perfect! I dont see any thing's wrong with it.
I dont always believe in OA. It can be wrong.
Manager
Manager

Re: CR-Fever [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2008, 07:37
Anyone can attack my friend?? :evil:
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Fever [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2008, 07:55
notahug wrote:
He argued that farmers can not use insecticide, therefore they must use vaccine otherwise no ways to protect their cattles. What's wrong with this reasoning???

The farmers cannot use insecticide, but can use different method (non-vaccine) altogether.
How about a method that stop the start of mosq outbreak by eliminating all stilled-water pond all over the places...?

The statement doesn't restrict that there are only two methods!
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Fever [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2008, 08:05
BKK145 nice to see you..hope you are back in full force :twisted: :evil: :)

I went with A..

A says..you cant control this fever by insecticides alone..that means farmers will have to use the vacine more often...imagine if Farmers used inseticide to kill the mosquitos ..and if insecticides worked..then they wouldnt use the vacines ..A strengthens it..
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-Fever [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2008, 08:22
A has less to do with the argument as a whole than E. I still go for E.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Fever [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2008, 10:44
I just searched and it seems that the OA is E..

can someone pls tell us the source of this question
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Fever [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2008, 13:22
I was first leaning towards E too and I would have done the same if it would appear on Real GMAT.

The conclusion is that the use of the vaccine will increase even though its really not practical to use.

We need to look for something that would tell us that besides all the impractical use of vaccine the demand for the vaccine will improve.

Now A supports the conclusion more strongly than E.

In E: research suggest that its possible to predict the outbreak but nothing states that the research is 100 % correct - it may be right or may be wrong.

A states that any insecticide is ineffective thereby forcing the farmers to use the vaccine and hence the demand will increase.
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 430 [1] , given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Fever [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2008, 14:22
This post received
KUDOS
I suspect we can argue about this one till the cows come home. The main assertion is : "experts predict that use of the vaccine will increase significantly within the next few years.
Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest justification for the experts’ prediction?"
. Note NEXT FEW YEARS. This is why I deemed A incorrect. A does not provide any support for the next few years. A has been happening forever, so why all of a sudden in the next few years the vaccine demand will grow ? because of new research as described in E.

What is the source of this question ?

notahug wrote:

Manager
Manager

Re: CR-Fever [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2008, 16:48
From 32 Tests Set. I am practicing on it. But my friend said that do not believe 100% on this set's answers. In fact I discover several mistakes in this Set.
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.33
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 11

Re: CR-Fever [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2012, 09:53
notahug wrote:
From 32 Tests Set. I am practicing on it. But my friend said that do not believe 100% on this set's answers. In fact I discover several mistakes in this Set.

The OA is correct , its
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

You want something, go get it . Period !

Re: CR-Fever   [#permalink] 24 Sep 2012, 09:53