Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Nov 2014, 21:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Outliers

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 80103

CAT Tests
Outliers [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2009, 03:04
Has anyone read this book? I just finished it and it's got me thinking more about this application season and potential long-term impacts on careers for those that graduate in 2011 compared to 2013, etc. The book dissects the obvious - that those that are 'outliers' are outliers because of a set of random circumstances that put them in the right position to take advantage of opportunities if they have the right personality to do so. This could be being born in a certain year or certain month, graduating at a time during a recession compared to a booming economy, being raised with the cultural backbone of hardwork, and it goes on.

I know a lot of people on this board want to consider themselves to be potential outliers, and I wonder if this horrible recession will either keep us from getting there because of the opportunities that future grads will get in comparison to us - or if those with certain personalities will still continue to become outliers, it will only take longer for them to get there. Again this is all very obvious stuff, but often I wonder if the odds are stacked up against us more so than we think. The last time I graduated was during a recovering recession where jobs were not a plenty either, it makes me wonder.

Anyway - it's a good quick read.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

Re: Outliers [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2009, 09:13
It's good that you're thinking about this because the fears and risks are obviously very real.

As far as the book - I have it but I have not started reading it yet! I plan to start this week :)

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Intern
Intern
Schools: Ross (accepted), Booth (waitlist), McCombs (withdrawn)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Outliers [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2009, 12:03
I just finished this book back in December, and I agree that its a very quick read.

Malcolm Gladwell makes an attempt to understand why certain media moguls, legendary musicians, and tech enterpreneurs end up successful. In that respect, its a good read that talks about things that most people would consider common sense. Things like:

1. Practice, practice, practice - something like it requires 10,000 hours of practice to be successful in your field

2. Effects of Language Differences - I don't remember the exact reason, but something like "asian languages have a more formal numbering system (compared to English), so that's why they are typically better in Math"

3. Luck - Everybody discussed in the book had luck to reach the success they achieved.

Overall, I liked the book, but didn't really walk away with any huge "aha" moments. I think that Gladwell tends to over-simplify things, and I'd like to read more about how he came to his conclusions.

So if you want to apply it to your applications:

keep writing and honing those drafts and realize that each and every one of us will require some form of luck to get the acceptance phone call.
Re: Outliers   [#permalink] 28 Jan 2009, 12:03

Outliers

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap