Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 19:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Status: keep walking. ...re-taking ..
Joined: 23 Apr 2012
Posts: 35
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.76
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2012, 03:05
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

78% (01:34) correct 21% (00:49) wrong based on 87 sessions
Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate back to health, the chief executive's plans were announced on Wednesday for cutting the company's huge debt by selling nearlv 512 billion in assets over the next 18 months.

A executive's plans were announced on Wednesday for cutting the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12billion in assets over the next 18 months
B executive's plans, which are to cut the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12 billion in assets over the next 18 months were announced on Wednesday.
C executive's plans for cutting the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12 billion in assets over the next 18 months were announced on Wednesday.
D executive announced plans Wednesday to cut the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12billion in assets over the next 18 months
E executive announced plans Wednesday that are to cut the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12billion in assets over the next 18 months

Okay i understand that in US without preposition on we can write the sentence as in option
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D
, my question is why explanations say that Outlining his strategy is a dangling modifier . i feel Outlining HIS can modify Executive's plan. I think plan can also outline his strategy .. and these plans could also be announced by some one else.As in "Results were announced on Wednesday" .The idea of plan outlining strategy perfectly makes sense to me. In c the only flaw i see is for cutting is not preferable when to cut is present but other wise it is correct.

I will also provide an example to make my point , veterans must have seen this questions :
Q)So dogged were Frances Perkins’investigations of the garment industry, and her lobbying for wage and hour reform was persistent, Alfred E. Smith and Franklin D. Roosevelt recruited Perkins to work within the government, rather than as a social worker.
OA : so persistent her lobbying for wage and hour reform, that

A crystal clear explanation would be much appreciated.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. ... T.S. Eliot

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 1584
Followers: 1069

Kudos [?]: 2561 [2] , given: 165

GMAT Tests User
Re: Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2012, 06:13
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi there,

Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate back to health, the chief executive's plans were announced on Wednesday for cutting the company's huge debt by selling nearly 512 billion in assets over the next 18 months.

We certainly have modifier issue in this sentence. The opening verb-ing modifier “outlining…” is in the non-underlined portion of the sentence. Now this modifier denotes some action. It denotes the action of someone outlining “his” strategy for something. Hence, it needs a doer. The context of the sentence clearly tells us that it was the chief executive who outlined his plans by announcing.

Let’s take a simple example here:

1. Riding a bicycle, Joe crossed the bridge.

The opening modifier “riding” denotes an action. It needs a doer for that action. Hence, this modifier associates with the subject of the following clause “Joe”. This makes perfect sense because Joe rode the bicycle and that’s how he crossed the bridge. Here the verb-ing modifier “riding” makes sense with the subject “Joe”. Also notice that here the opening modifier is modifying the entire following clause and not just the subject “Joe”.

2. Presenting detail of his project, Joe’s plans were announced to start the production within thirty days.

Now in this sentence, you might argue “Joe’s plan”, the subject, can very well be associated with “presenting” as plans can present details. OK. However, “presenting” needs doer and “Joe’s plan” cannot be a doer because someone else announced the plan. Also notice that the opening modifier is not only modifying the subject of the main clause. It is modifying the entire main clause. It is talking about the detail that was presented, that is the production date. Hence the above mentioned sentence is incorrect.

The official question suffers from the same flaw. The opening modifier needs a doer and “chief executive’s plans” cannot be that doer. Also the opening modifier should modify the entire main clause because the main clause talks about the strategy outlined by the executive.

Now let’s come to the example that you have cited:

So dogged were Frances Perkins’ investigations of the garment industry, and her lobbying for wage and hour reform was persistent, Alfred E. Smith and Franklin D. Roosevelt recruited Perkins to work within the government, rather than as a social worker.

Here the sentence structure is very different from the “chief executive’s plan” sentence. Here we have an opening dependent clause that is the cause followed by the main clause that is the effect. The correct answer follows the construction of “so X that Y”. This construction correctly and clearly presents the cause-effect relationship between the two clauses.

In the question at hand, this is not the scenario. Here we have an opening verb-ing modifier that needs a doer as well as it must modify the following clause as well. Hence, choice D is the correct answer.

PS: To know in detail about the function of the verb-ing modifier when it appears in the ebginning of the sentence, view more examples, and practise quiz, log on to e-gmat.com, register for free and go thorugh the concept "Modifiers - Verb-ing" listed in the preview level concepts that are free.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________

Free trial:Click here to start free trial (100+ free practice questions)
Free Session: September 14: Learn how to define your GMAT strategy, create your study plan and master the core skills to excel on the GMAT. Click here to attend.
ImageImageImageImage

Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 2266
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 240

Kudos [?]: 1180 [0], given: 244

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2012, 08:55
Expert's post
@ faltuhaiye11

I hope the importance of the possessive pronoun ‘his’ is not lost sight of, because it is too small. If you are attributing the announcement to some plans, one can't justify the use of the masculine pronoun ‘his’ Even for argument's sake if we were to say, it is be some other person who announced , the pronoun's reference will be ambiguous.Therefore, it is best to accept the Chief Executive as the announcer, which is what the passage intends to say.

Your other example is a test of //ism and not of modification.

So dogged were Frances Perkins’ investigations of the garment industry, and her lobbying for wage and hour reform was persistent, Alfred E. Smith and Franklin D. Roosevelt recruited Perkins to work within the government, rather than as a social worker.

OA: so persistent her lobbying for wage and hour reform, that

This choice is taken for two things namely 1) - so dogged, so persistent - are parallel and 2) you require a connector such as ‘that’, to merge two clauses in a complex sentence. (IMO, the official answer is flawed in that it is missing the conjunction and before the second factor, which might have properly connected the two arms of the subordinate clause.). Can you please tell me how it is related to modification?
Manager
Manager
Joined: 09 Jun 2012
Posts: 112
GMAT 1: 670 Q42 V40
GPA: 2.94
WE: Consulting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 8

Re: Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2012, 01:08
'D'

opening modifiers can be very tricky. just ask yourself who was outlining his strategy? the executive or the executive's plan?
Intern
Intern
Joined: 08 Dec 2012
Posts: 7
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V36
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 67

Re: Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 11:42
faltuhaiye11 wrote:
Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate back to health, the chief executive's plans were announced on Wednesday for cutting the company's huge debt by selling nearlv 512 billion in assets over the next 18 months.

A executive's plans were announced on Wednesday for cutting the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12billion in assets over the next 18 months
B executive's plans, which are to cut the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12 billion in assets over the next 18 months were announced on Wednesday.
C executive's plans for cutting the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12 billion in assets over the next 18 months were announced on Wednesday.
D executive announced plans Wednesday to cut the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12billion in assets over the next 18 months
E executive announced plans Wednesday that are to cut the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12billion in assets over the next 18 months

Okay i understand that in US without preposition on we can write the sentence as in option
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D
, my question is why explanations say that Outlining his strategy is a dangling modifier . i feel Outlining HIS can modify Executive's plan. I think plan can also outline his strategy .. and these plans could also be announced by some one else.As in "Results were announced on Wednesday" .The idea of plan outlining strategy perfectly makes sense to me. In c the only flaw i see is for cutting is not preferable when to cut is present but other wise it is correct.

I will also provide an example to make my point , veterans must have seen this questions :
Q)So dogged were Frances Perkins’investigations of the garment industry, and her lobbying for wage and hour reform was persistent, Alfred E. Smith and Franklin D. Roosevelt recruited Perkins to work within the government, rather than as a social worker.
OA : so persistent her lobbying for wage and hour reform, that

A crystal clear explanation would be much appreciated.


Could someone explain why OffAnsw doesn't use preposition "on" before "Wednesday" ? Is it correct to say "executive announced plans Wednesday" instead of "executive announced plans on Wednesday"?
Thank you.
2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 1584
Followers: 1069

Kudos [?]: 2561 [2] , given: 165

GMAT Tests User
Re: Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 07:12
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi pleaman,

e-gmat team wishes you a very Happy New Year.
Not using a preposition such as "on" before the name of the days is a very American style of writing. You can read the online publications of The Wall Street journal or The New York Times to find this common usage.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________

Free trial:Click here to start free trial (100+ free practice questions)
Free Session: September 14: Learn how to define your GMAT strategy, create your study plan and master the core skills to excel on the GMAT. Click here to attend.
ImageImageImageImage

Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 2178
Followers: 175

Kudos [?]: 1537 [0], given: 612

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 07:14
Expert's post
egmat wrote:
Hi pleaman,

e-gmat team wishes you a very Happy New Year.
Not using a preposition such as "on" before the name of the days is a very American style of writing. You can read the online publications of The Wall Street journal or The New York Times to find this common usage.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha



Do you mean that WSJ and other upper level magazine/joural made this mistake '? did I understand properly ?? :(
_________________

KUDOS is the good manner to help the entire community.

2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 1584
Followers: 1069

Kudos [?]: 2561 [2] , given: 165

GMAT Tests User
Re: Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 07:39
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
carcass wrote:
Do you mean that WSJ and other upper level magazine/joural made this mistake '? did I understand properly ?? :(


Hi carcass,

This is not a mistake. This is a style of writing. This is the way they write. This is not a grammatical issue. This is a stylistic issue

Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________

Free trial:Click here to start free trial (100+ free practice questions)
Free Session: September 14: Learn how to define your GMAT strategy, create your study plan and master the core skills to excel on the GMAT. Click here to attend.
ImageImageImageImage

Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 2178
Followers: 175

Kudos [?]: 1537 [0], given: 612

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 07:57
Expert's post
egmat wrote:
carcass wrote:
Do you mean that WSJ and other upper level magazine/joural made this mistake '? did I understand properly ?? :(


Hi carcass,

This is not a mistake. This is a style of writing. This is the way they write. This is not a grammatical issue. This is a stylistic issue

Thanks.
Shraddha



Good to know :) better style reflects a better writing

Thanks
_________________

KUDOS is the good manner to help the entire community.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 454
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 20:12
WHY e IS WRONG?
why E is considered the distorted meaning

E meann "the plans are to cut" , "the plans must cut in the future"

E is both grammatical and logic but

USING COMMON SENSE, we see that D is intended meaning.

second reason why E is wrong is that D is closer to the meaning of the original sentence than E.

there are 2 ways to realize the distored meaning:
1. is the meaing is further from the meaing of the original sentence
2. using common sense.

pls comment, is my thinking correct?

E is worth discussing carefully . pls remember, this is og question.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 454
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 20:26
the following from og 12 (not from og10 which is considered old when gmat focuse on meaning) ilustrate my point. hope many persons discuss my thinking

In 1527 King Henry VII sought to have his marriage to Queen Catherine annulled so as to marry Anne Boleyn.

A.
B. and so could be married to
C. to be married to
D. so that he could marry to
E. in order that he would marry to

we realize C is correct by using common sense. there are 2 ways to justify whether a choice is distored meaing. as mentioned in my above posting. But, The meaning of the original sentence dose not help us eliminate some choices and all incorrect choices are grammatical and logic. all choices A,B,D and E show that the possiblilty of marying is certain. choice C, on the other hand, show that possibility is not certain. using common sensen, we realize only C is correct. Using common sense is only method here to realize the distored meaning.

The point I try to make here is that in some cases , USING COMMON SENSE is the only way to realize the distorted meaning. Ron from Manhantan also said about this point already.

pls discuss , comment.
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 1584
Followers: 1069

Kudos [?]: 2561 [0], given: 165

GMAT Tests User
Re: Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 05:51
Expert's post
thangvietnam wrote:
WHY e IS WRONG?
why E is considered the distorted meaning

E meann "the plans are to cut" , "the plans must cut in the future"

E is both grammatical and logic but

USING COMMON SENSE, we see that D is intended meaning.

second reason why E is wrong is that D is closer to the meaning of the original sentence than E.

there are 2 ways to realize the distored meaning:
1. is the meaing is further from the meaing of the original sentence
2. using common sense.

pls comment, is my thinking correct?

E is worth discussing carefully . pls remember, this is og question.


Hi thangvietnam,

e-gmat team wishes you a very Happy New Year.

Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate back to health, the chief executive's plans were announced on Wednesday for cutting the company's huge debt by selling nearlv 512 billion in assets over the next 18 months.

E. executive announced plans Wednesday that are to cut the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12billion in assets over the next 18 months: Incorrect. This choice is grammatically incorrect because relative pronoun “that” illogically refers to the preceding noun “Wednesday”. Remember that “Wednesday” actually stands in the sentence as “on Wednesday”. This understood prepositional phrase modifies the verb “announced” and not the noun “plans”. This understood prepositional phrase can be placed somewhere else in the sentence without distorting the intended meaning of this sentence.

To learn when a noun modifier can refer to a far-away noun and when it cannot, click on the following link to read this detailed article:
noun-modifiers-can-modify-slightly-far-away-noun-135868.html

Your analysis of distorted meaning is correct. The intended meaning of the sentence may be distorted by suggesting some other meaning or by violating the common knowledge through the answer choices.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________

Free trial:Click here to start free trial (100+ free practice questions)
Free Session: September 14: Learn how to define your GMAT strategy, create your study plan and master the core skills to excel on the GMAT. Click here to attend.
ImageImageImageImage

2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 1584
Followers: 1069

Kudos [?]: 2561 [2] , given: 165

GMAT Tests User
Re: Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 06:51
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
thangvietnam wrote:
the following from og 12 (not from og10 which is considered old when gmat focuse on meaning) ilustrate my point. hope many persons discuss my thinking

In 1527 King Henry VII sought to have his marriage to Queen Catherine annulled so as to marry Anne Boleyn.

A.
B. and so could be married to
C. to be married to
D. so that he could marry to
E. in order that he would marry to

we realize C is correct by using common sense. there are 2 ways to justify whether a choice is distored meaing. as mentioned in my above posting. But, The meaning of the original sentence dose not help us eliminate some choices and all incorrect choices are grammatical and logic. all choices A,B,D and E show that the possiblilty of marying is certain. choice C, on the other hand, show that possibility is not certain. using common sensen, we realize only C is correct. Using common sense is only method here to realize the distored meaning.

The point I try to make here is that in some cases , USING COMMON SENSE is the only way to realize the distorted meaning. Ron from Manhantan also said about this point already.

pls discuss , comment.


Hi thangvietnam,

Yes, there are many sentences the intended meaning of which can be understood through common knowledge. These types of sentences generally deal with universal truths or general known fact.

The OG12 sentence you have cited is a historical event. Not many people may know about this event. However, understanding the intended meaning of this sentence is not difficult as it talk about what did King Henry VIII do to get married to Anne Boleyn.

Now in order to get to the correct answer of any SC problem, intended meaning must be maintained through correct grammatical structure. There can be many times when one can understand the intended meaning but may not be able to identify the grammatical issues with various answer choices. So we need knowledge of both to get to the correct answer.

So now let’s solve this official sentence:

In 1527 King Henry VIII sought to have his marriage to Queen Catherine annulled so as to marry Anne Boleyn.

MEANING ANALYSIS

The sentence is an event form history. King Henry VIII sought to have his marriage to Queen Catherine annulled so that he could marry Anne Boleyn.

ERROR ANALYSIS

“So as to marry” is not idiomatic. This expression is not very clear in expressing the reason that King Henry sought the annulment of his marriage because he wanted to marry Anne Boleyn.

PoE:

A) so as to: Incorrect for the reason stated above.

B) and so could be married to: Incorrect. This choice implies that annulment of his marriage will automatically make King Henry married to Anne Boleyn. This is not the intended meaning of the sentence. The sentence means that King Henry could not marry Boleyn as long he was married to Catherine. The annulment of marriage with her could only make it possible for King Henry to marry Boleyn.

C) to be married to: Incorrect. This choice also implies the same thing. Annulment of the marriage with Catherine will not make King Henry married to Boleyn. It will just make him eligible to marry her.

D) so that he could marry: Correct. This choice clearly states the reason why King Henry sought the annulment of his marriage to Catherine. He did it so that he could marry Boleyn. Now annulment would make it possible for him to marry Boleyn. Now, if he married Boleyn or not, is irrelevant. But the annulment would surely make it possible for him to marry Boleyn if he wished to.

E) in order that he would marry: Incorrect. Conditional “would” states an assumption that King Henry would marry Boleyn. But this is not the intended meaning of the sentence. The annulment was imperative to enable him to marry again.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________

Free trial:Click here to start free trial (100+ free practice questions)
Free Session: September 14: Learn how to define your GMAT strategy, create your study plan and master the core skills to excel on the GMAT. Click here to attend.
ImageImageImageImage

Manager
Manager
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 78
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: IE '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: -16 [0], given: 0

Re: Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 15:39
Ans - D
"His" in the modifier has no reference in options A,B,C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 454
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 06:42
egmat wrote:
thangvietnam wrote:
WHY e IS WRONG?
why E is considered the distorted meaning

E meann "the plans are to cut" , "the plans must cut in the future"

E is both grammatical and logic but

USING COMMON SENSE, we see that D is intended meaning.

second reason why E is wrong is that D is closer to the meaning of the original sentence than E.

there are 2 ways to realize the distored meaning:
1. is the meaing is further from the meaing of the original sentence
2. using common sense.

pls comment, is my thinking correct?

E is worth discussing carefully . pls remember, this is og question.


Hi thangvietnam,

e-gmat team wishes you a very Happy New Year.

Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate back to health, the chief executive's plans were announced on Wednesday for cutting the company's huge debt by selling nearlv 512 billion in assets over the next 18 months.

E. executive announced plans Wednesday that are to cut the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12billion in assets over the next 18 months: Incorrect. This choice is grammatically incorrect because relative pronoun “that” illogically refers to the preceding noun “Wednesday”. Remember that “Wednesday” actually stands in the sentence as “on Wednesday”. This understood prepositional phrase modifies the verb “announced” and not the noun “plans”. This understood prepositional phrase can be placed somewhere else in the sentence without distorting the intended meaning of this sentence.

To learn when a noun modifier can refer to a far-away noun and when it cannot, click on the following link to read this detailed article:
noun-modifiers-can-modify-slightly-far-away-noun-135868.html

Your analysis of distorted meaning is correct. The intended meaning of the sentence may be distorted by suggesting some other meaning or by violating the common knowledge through the answer choices.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha


great, Thank you e gmat experts.

in the pattern
X of Y, which...
if Y works, which refers to Y
if Y dose not work and Y modifies X and so can not be placed elswhere, which can jump Y to modify X
if Y dose not work and Y dose not modifies X, which can not jump Y to modify X. E choice is this case.

pls confirm, Thank you e gmat expert.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 454
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 07:05
egmat wrote:
thangvietnam wrote:
the following from og 12 (not from og10 which is considered old when gmat focuse on meaning) ilustrate my point. hope many persons discuss my thinking

In 1527 King Henry VII sought to have his marriage to Queen Catherine annulled so as to marry Anne Boleyn.

A.
B. and so could be married to
C. to be married to
D. so that he could marry to
E. in order that he would marry to

we realize C is correct by using common sense. there are 2 ways to justify whether a choice is distored meaing. as mentioned in my above posting. But, The meaning of the original sentence dose not help us eliminate some choices and all incorrect choices are grammatical and logic. all choices A,B,D and E show that the possiblilty of marying is certain. choice C, on the other hand, show that possibility is not certain. using common sensen, we realize only C is correct. Using common sense is only method here to realize the distored meaning.

The point I try to make here is that in some cases , USING COMMON SENSE is the only way to realize the distorted meaning. Ron from Manhantan also said about this point already.

pls discuss , comment.


Hi thangvietnam,

Yes, there are many sentences the intended meaning of which can be understood through common knowledge. These types of sentences generally deal with universal truths or general known fact.

The OG12 sentence you have cited is a historical event. Not many people may know about this event. However, understanding the intended meaning of this sentence is not difficult as it talk about what did King Henry VIII do to get married to Anne Boleyn.

Now in order to get to the correct answer of any SC problem, intended meaning must be maintained through correct grammatical structure. There can be many times when one can understand the intended meaning but may not be able to identify the grammatical issues with various answer choices. So we need knowledge of both to get to the correct answer.

So now let’s solve this official sentence:

In 1527 King Henry VIII sought to have his marriage to Queen Catherine annulled so as to marry Anne Boleyn.

MEANING ANALYSIS

The sentence is an event form history. King Henry VIII sought to have his marriage to Queen Catherine annulled so that he could marry Anne Boleyn.

ERROR ANALYSIS

“So as to marry” is not idiomatic. This expression is not very clear in expressing the reason that King Henry sought the annulment of his marriage because he wanted to marry Anne Boleyn.

PoE:

A) so as to: Incorrect for the reason stated above.

B) and so could be married to: Incorrect. This choice implies that annulment of his marriage will automatically make King Henry married to Anne Boleyn. This is not the intended meaning of the sentence. The sentence means that King Henry could not marry Boleyn as long he was married to Catherine. The annulment of marriage with her could only make it possible for King Henry to marry Boleyn.

C) to be married to: Incorrect. This choice also implies the same thing. Annulment of the marriage with Catherine will not make King Henry married to Boleyn. It will just make him eligible to marry her.

D) so that he could marry: Correct. This choice clearly states the reason why King Henry sought the annulment of his marriage to Catherine. He did it so that he could marry Boleyn. Now annulment would make it possible for him to marry Boleyn. Now, if he married Boleyn or not, is irrelevant. But the annulment would surely make it possible for him to marry Boleyn if he wished to.

E) in order that he would marry: Incorrect. Conditional “would” states an assumption that King Henry would marry Boleyn. But this is not the intended meaning of the sentence. The annulment was imperative to enable him to marry again.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha


thank you e gmat expert,

yes, I agree d is oa.
what I means is that all choice ABCE, if each stands alone, each are grammatical and logic. because when each stand alone , I can say that -the certainty of marying- is the meaning I want to tell you. the meaning I want to say here is the certainty of marying , not the low possibility of marying as meaning of choice D.

but if they stand with choice D, only D is intended meaning, .USING COMMON SENESE , I know this. your analysis of ABCE said that they are wrong because they are not the intended meaning, because the possibility of marying is certain in choice ABCE. This analysis agree with my thinking.

your sc core skill in the e gmat corse is great for me and I think, for many persons.
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 1584
Followers: 1069

Kudos [?]: 2561 [0], given: 165

GMAT Tests User
Re: Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 09:14
Expert's post
thangvietnam wrote:
in the pattern
X of Y, which...
if Y works, which refers to Y
if Y dose not work and Y modifies X and so can not be placed elswhere, which can jump Y to modify X
if Y dose not work and Y dose not modifies X, which can not jump Y to modify X. E choice is this case.

pls confirm, Thank you e gmat expert.


Hi thangvietnam,

Precisely. Your understanding is correct. We need to look which entity "which" logically refers to and check its placement accordingly.

Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________

Free trial:Click here to start free trial (100+ free practice questions)
Free Session: September 14: Learn how to define your GMAT strategy, create your study plan and master the core skills to excel on the GMAT. Click here to attend.
ImageImageImageImage

Re: Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate   [#permalink] 15 Jan 2013, 09:14
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Popular new posts Nurses HongHu 21 02 Feb 2005, 13:49
Popular new posts Striking Nurses ggarr 10 17 Dec 2006, 22:11
New posts Nurses ritula 1 22 Jan 2009, 03:14
Popular new posts 18 Experts publish their posts in the topic Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate macjas 22 22 Jun 2012, 01:40
New posts 1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate nave81 3 03 Jan 2013, 13:56
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.