Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 10:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q0 V0
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 31

Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 13:56
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

89% (01:32) correct 11% (01:13) wrong based on 18 sessions
Hi,

I am a non-native English speaker. I was going through the practice questions on OG 13th edition and I found myself confused when came across the below:

OG 13th Edition SC Q68 -

Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate back to health, the chief executive's plans were announced on Wednesday fpr cutting the company'shuge debt bv selling nearly $12 billion in assets over the next 18 months.

A executive's plans were announced on Wednesday for cutting the company's huge debt byselling nearly $12 billion in assets overthe next 18 months

B executive's plans, which are to cut the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12 billion in assets over the next 18 months, were announced on Wednesday

C executive's plans for cutting the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12 billion in assets over the next 18 months were announced on Wednesday

D executive announced plans Wednesday to cut the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12 billion in assets over the next 18 months

E executive announced plans Wednesday that are to cut the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12 billion in assets over the next 18 months

OA: executive announced plans Wednesday to cut the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12billion in assets over the next 18 months.

I got the answer wrong because I thought there should be 'on' preceding Wednesday.

Could someone explain this to me please?

Thanks a lot for your time
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Followers: 287

Kudos [?]: 2411 [0], given: 693

Re: Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 14:57
Expert's post
This question is a mess. and difficult

But what you have to do as first thing is to ask your self

what the CEO did ?? announced something ----> so the plans do not announced itself also the first threee choices are in passive voice and are incorrect

Quote:
A executive's plans were announced on Wednesday for cutting the company's huge debt byselling nearly $12 billion in assets overthe next 18 months

B executive's plans, which are to cut the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12 billion in assets over the next 18 months, were announced on Wednesday

C executive's plans for cutting the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12 billion in assets over the next 18 months were announced on Wednesday

So now we remain with D and E

As such, E has the problem the words: that are to cut the company's huge seems that the plans cut the huge debt by itself

So D is the best choice

Please refer to this link for future posts rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html

Thanks

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q0 V0
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 31

Re: Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 15:21
Hi Carcass, thanks for the quick response. I understood how to eliminate the choices from OG's explanation section but my question was more fundamental than that - ie is it correct to say "CEO announced plans Wednesday" rather than "CEO announced plans on Wednesday". Am I missing a basic concept of English here?

p.s - apologies for not posting the answer choices with my question.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 287

Kudos [?]: 2411 [1] , given: 693

Re: Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 15:52
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
nave81 wrote:
Hi Carcass, thanks for the quick response. I understood how to eliminate the choices from OG's explanation section but my question was more fundamental than that - ie is it correct to say "CEO announced plans Wednesday" rather than "CEO announced plans on Wednesday". Am I missing a basic concept of English here?

p.s - apologies for not posting the answer choices with my question.

as far as I know is a question of style

The preposition of time ON is used with sunday monday and so on......BUT (just yesterday this thing was said by E-Gmat instructor here on the board) is a question of PURE American english style to omit it

I hope is clear now to you :)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Re: Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate   [#permalink] 03 Jan 2013, 15:52