Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 22:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Over 40,000 lead seals from the early Byzantine Empire remai

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Dec 2011
Posts: 24
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [2] , given: 6

Over 40,000 lead seals from the early Byzantine Empire remai [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2013, 20:39
2
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

40% (03:03) correct 60% (02:20) wrong based on 181 sessions
Source LSAT: Dec, 2009

Over 40,000 lead seals from the early Byzantine Empire remain today. Apart from the rare cases where the seal authenticated a document of special importance, most seals had served their purpose when the document was opened. Lead was not expensive, but it was not free: most lead seals would have been recast once they had served their purpose. Thus the number of early Byzantine documents sealed in such a fashion must have been many times the number of remaining lead seals.

Which one of the following statements, if true, most strengthens the argument?

(A) Most of the lead seals produced during the early Byzantine Empire were affixed to documents that were then opened during that period.

(B) Most of the lead seals produced during that early Byzantine Empire were affixed to documents that have since been destroyed.

(C) The amount of lead available for seals in the early Byzantine Empire was much greater than the amount of lead that remains in the seals today.

(D) During the time of the early Byzantine Empire there were at most 40,000 documents of enough importance to prevent the removing and recycling of the seal.

(E) During the time of the early Byzantine Empire there were fewer than 40,000 seals affixed to documents at any given time.




Could someone please explain why
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D
is wrong?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Kudos if the post helped! :)

The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night. -H.W. Longfellow

Expert Post
Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2013
Posts: 27
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: Over 40,000 lead seals from the early Byzantine Empire remai [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2013, 00:46
Expert's post
Answer D is incorrect because it does not really support the conclusion that "Thus the number of early Byzantine documents sealed in such a fashion must have been many times the number of remaining lead seals. " We can understand the argument in the following way:
number of remaining (reused) seals = X
The seals that were not recycled were probably destroyed together with documents and there is no correlation between their number and the number of the remaining seals. We don't know how many times a seal could be recast but probably many. Thus the total number of sealed documents of no special importance = X times Y
Y - how many times a seal was reused
Answer
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D
tells us that 40000 seals could not be recycled. The number of seals that could not be recycled has no influence on the number of the recycled/ remaining ones and thus answer D is irrelevant.
_________________

Economist GMAT Tutor
http://econgm.at/econgmattutor
(866) 292-0660

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Dec 2011
Posts: 24
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 6

Re: Over 40,000 lead seals from the early Byzantine Empire remai [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2013, 08:28
KasiaEconomistGMAT wrote:
Answer D is incorrect because it does not really support the conclusion that "Thus the number of early Byzantine documents sealed in such a fashion must have been many times the number of remaining lead seals. " We can understand the argument in the following way:
number of remaining (reused) seals = X
The seals that were not recycled were probably destroyed together with documents and there is no correlation between their number and the number of the remaining seals. We don't know how many times a seal could be recast but probably many. Thus the total number of sealed documents of no special importance = X times Y
Y - how many times a seal was reused
Answer
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D
tells us that 40000 seals could not be recycled. The number of seals that could not be recycled has no influence on the number of the recycled/ remaining ones and thus answer D is irrelevant.


Thanks! I had read option D as just "documents" instead of "documents of enough importance"
_________________

Kudos if the post helped! :)

The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night. -H.W. Longfellow

Expert Post
Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2013
Posts: 27
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: Over 40,000 lead seals from the early Byzantine Empire remai [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2013, 03:39
Expert's post
notrandom wrote:
KasiaEconomistGMAT wrote:
Answer D is incorrect because it does not really support the conclusion that "Thus the number of early Byzantine documents sealed in such a fashion must have been many times the number of remaining lead seals. " We can understand the argument in the following way:
number of remaining (reused) seals = X
The seals that were not recycled were probably destroyed together with documents and there is no correlation between their number and the number of the remaining seals. We don't know how many times a seal could be recast but probably many. Thus the total number of sealed documents of no special importance = X times Y
Y - how many times a seal was reused
Answer
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D
tells us that 40000 seals could not be recycled. The number of seals that could not be recycled has no influence on the number of the recycled/ remaining ones and thus answer D is irrelevant.


Thanks! I had read option D as just "documents" instead of "documents of enough importance"


Glad I could help. Keep up the good work!
_________________

Economist GMAT Tutor
http://econgm.at/econgmattutor
(866) 292-0660

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1629
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Over 40,000 lead seals from the early Byzantine Empire remai [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2014, 14:20
notrandom wrote:
Source LSAT: Dec, 2009

Over 40,000 lead seals from the early Byzantine Empire remain today. Apart from the rare cases where the seal authenticated a document of special importance, most seals had served their purpose when the document was opened. Lead was not expensive, but it was not free: most lead seals would have been recast once they had served their purpose. Thus the number of early Byzantine documents sealed in such a fashion must have been many times the number of remaining lead seals.

Which one of the following statements, if true, most strengthens the argument?

(A) Most of the lead seals produced during the early Byzantine Empire were affixed to documents that were then opened during that period.

(B) Most of the lead seals produced during that early Byzantine Empire were affixed to documents that have since been destroyed.

(C) The amount of lead available for seals in the early Byzantine Empire was much greater than the amount of lead that remains in the seals today.

(D) During the time of the early Byzantine Empire there were at most 40,000 documents of enough importance to prevent the removing and recycling of the seal.

(E) During the time of the early Byzantine Empire there were fewer than 40,000 seals affixed to documents at any given time.




Could someone please explain why
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D
is wrong?


How is A correct here? I didn't quite get it . Would someone kindly elaborate?

Cheers!
J
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Joined: 03 Oct 2013
Posts: 155
Location: India
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 73 [2] , given: 2

Re: Over 40,000 lead seals from the early Byzantine Empire remai [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2014, 05:53
2
This post received
KUDOS
jlgdr wrote:
notrandom wrote:
Source LSAT: Dec, 2009

Over 40,000 lead seals from the early Byzantine Empire remain today. Apart from the rare cases where the seal authenticated a document of special importance, most seals had served their purpose when the document was opened. Lead was not expensive, but it was not free: most lead seals would have been recast once they had served their purpose. Thus the number of early Byzantine documents sealed in such a fashion must have been many times the number of remaining lead seals.

Which one of the following statements, if true, most strengthens the argument?

(A) Most of the lead seals produced during the early Byzantine Empire were affixed to documents that were then opened during that period.

(B) Most of the lead seals produced during that early Byzantine Empire were affixed to documents that have since been destroyed.

(C) The amount of lead available for seals in the early Byzantine Empire was much greater than the amount of lead that remains in the seals today.

(D) During the time of the early Byzantine Empire there were at most 40,000 documents of enough importance to prevent the removing and recycling of the seal.

(E) During the time of the early Byzantine Empire there were fewer than 40,000 seals affixed to documents at any given time.




Could someone please explain why
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D
is wrong?


How is A correct here? I didn't quite get it . Would someone kindly elaborate?

Cheers!
J



Hey Jlgdr,
Let me first break down the argument.
The argument states that "the number of early Byzantine documents sealed in such a fashion must have been many times the number of remaining lead seals."
The assumption here is that these lead seals were used on documents that ended up being opened and as a consequence recycled. In other words "most of the lead seals produced were opened during that period" and as a consequence recycled.

Option A says this and supports the argument.

Let's play devil's advocate here to ascertain the validity of option A.
If it were found that No, Most of the lead seals produced during the early Byzantine Empire were affixed to documents that were NOT opened during that period. I.e. they remained sealed forever. Then the assumption that 'these lead seals were recycled' will be broken - therefore breaking the conclusion!

By doing this negation we realise that this option is quite relevant.

Hope that clarified things :)
Peo - Verbal Trainer, CrackVerbal
_________________

If you find our response valuable, please encourage us with Kudos!

Live online classes by 99th percentile instructors!
http://gmat.crackverbal.com/gmat-courses/online/gmat-live-course/

Get a FREE profile evaluation from CrackVerbal experts!
http://applications.crackverbal.com/free-resources/profile-evaluation/

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Oct 2013
Posts: 9
Location: India
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V24
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 56

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Over 40,000 lead seals from the early Byzantine Empire remai [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2014, 21:37
can someone pls elaborate and help me understand the argument

Regards,
MSJ
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1629
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Over 40,000 lead seals from the early Byzantine Empire remai [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2014, 09:21
msj1234567 wrote:
can someone pls elaborate and help me understand the argument

Regards,
MSJ


Dude CrackVerbal GMAT just did so one post above. Please read carefully and specifically explain what is it that you don't understand so that other experts can provide help
Re: Over 40,000 lead seals from the early Byzantine Empire remai   [#permalink] 26 Mar 2014, 09:21
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Question/Advice on Withdrawing from Early Action Fuquafan123 0 19 Jun 2014, 08:38
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Serious question regarding withdrawing from early action WonderDog 19 26 Apr 2012, 20:34
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic Around the tenth century A.D, the Byzantine Empire was a daagh 7 19 Oct 2010, 07:55
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Early success and the arrogance it often fosters may lead tarek99 13 21 Aug 2008, 07:08
Lead left in soil can be traced years past. Lead comes from eclipse00 2 02 Sep 2006, 01:06
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Over 40,000 lead seals from the early Byzantine Empire remai

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.