Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 00:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Over! 700 club

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Over! 700 club [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2006, 15:39
Hello all,

I promised myself that I would write on here when I finished the GMAT. Your stories of inspiration have been great and I often come on here and read posts simply for the sense of solidarity.

I posted about a month ago (ok, who are we kidding - 31 days ago) that I had a poor experience at the GMAT. I had been testing quite well and was confident in a 700 score. A number of things happened, namely, the pens that were given to me were chronically inept. I ran out of 'ink' three times. I'm appealing the score (actually just trying to get my money back) because the situation was so unacceptable, but that's neither here nor there.

Prior, I had taken the test last fall without really studying and scored a 680 (90%); M41, V43. I knew I could do much better in the Math portion.

Back to today. I got a 710 (94%); M47(82%), V41 (93%). The test was pretty hard and I took it in the afternoon even though I'm always more on my game in the morning (it was the only slot available).

I didn't spend much time on the AWA because I'm a pretty good writer and tend to get 5.5-6 even if I only spend about 15 minutes on each. The math was decent - a lot more number property questions than I would like and less permutations/combinations than I had hoped. I studied the latter pretty intensely yet I think there was maybe one permutation question. Bummer for me.

The verbal was where I lost my steam. I have a very hard time with the stamina bit and my mind started wandering. I have been diagnosed with ADHD, but I typically don't consider it an issue. Standardized tests are really the only time where I feel I sometimes struggle with keeping my attention for a long period of time. I had a hard time focusing on the verbal and, although I usually finish with 10-15 minutes to spare, I used every second. The reading passages were a little complicated (some bizarre one about engineering), the sentence completion was a little more convoluted than I remember, and the CRs seemed about average. I admit that I haven't spent much time studying verbal.

For my studying, I'm probably not a role model. Because of my competitive nature, I find it better (read: bearable) to do practice tests. After reading the forum, I did start to study my errors more closely, but I didn't keep an error log. My practice tests were, for the past month, almost all above 700, highest at 770 and one lone 600 score at 680. I was confident going in today that I would score over 700, but as we know, anything can happen. After my zone-out on verbal, I was almost inclined to cancel my score. I'm glad I didn't.

So, that's it. Feel free to ping me with questions about the experience or anything else.

Thanks to everyone.

Last edited by cpetro29 on 20 Jul 2006, 20:58, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 257

Kudos [?]: 1577 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2006, 16:23
Here's your 700 club award :)

CONGRATS!!!!

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 257

Kudos [?]: 1577 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2006, 16:28
I knew your forum name looked familiar. Check your PMs.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2006, 11:26
Hi - I just finished my GMAT and ended up at 700....92nd percentile...quant 43, verbal 42....I wanted to know if this is a decent score for some of the top Schools like Wharton or Kellogg? Do i need to retake the GMAT? What do you suggest?

Thanks for your help...
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2006, 13:25
Look at the averages at the schools - you're within the range. To take it again, as many say on here, after you've received an over-700 score will look like you don't have your priorities straight.
GMAT and GPA are only one aspect of your application. Once you get over the hurdle, then you'll know that GMAT/GPA is not what will rule you out. 700 is within this range - over this hurdle. Now you have to make yourself stand out in your essays. I've been told that essays, extra curriculars, and leaderhip matter more than your 'numbers'.

So, I wouldn't take the exam again, but it's hard to assess your chances without knowing anything else about you.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2006, 14:05
Thanks for your response....I tend to agree with your thoughts. I am getting all sorts of feedback. One chap mentioned that 80-80 %tile split is must in quant + verbal for Wharton...so I am just a little confused.

Just wanted to share my background / profile so that I can get some inputs to make an informed decision -

1. Chartered Accountant from India, 35th Rank in India [The Indian Institute only gives 50 ranks to its examinees in the bi-annual tests],

2. Bachelor of Commerce - over 96 credits in finance, accounting and business studies. This is equivalent of 152 hours of accounting credits in the US.

3. Work experience - 7 years in public accounting - including 3 years internship and 2 years in the US [non-big 4].

4. Certified Public Accountant - USA.

Would greatly appreciate your inputs!

[quote="cpetro29"]Look at the averages at the schools - you're within the range. To take it again, as many say on here, after you've received an over-700 score will look like you don't have your priorities straight.
GMAT and GPA are only one aspect of your application. Once you get over the hurdle, then you'll know that GMAT/GPA is not what will rule you out. 700 is within this range - over this hurdle. Now you have to make yourself stand out in your essays. I've been told that essays, extra curriculars, and leaderhip matter more than your 'numbers'.

So, I wouldn't take the exam again, but it's hard to assess your chances without knowing anything else about you.[/quote]
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2006, 05:05
Well, I'm not sure if you fit into the infamous 'Indian IT' pool. Sounds like you don't do IT work, but I've still heard that it's challenging for Indian men to break into top MBA programs. Primarily because there's so many who are applying. The process is about making yourself standout within your competitors. You're an accountant, which isn't particularly different or stellar.
Since nothing in your profile stands out yet, it's hard to say what your chances are. Many of the schools focus on your leadership and extracurriculars. What do you do outside of work? Do you have significant leadership experiences within work? Do you have a strange and rare talent?
Imagine that you're the Admissions Committee. They need to fill their class with a diverse group of students. If they had 500 indian men or white men or whatever, the classes would be boring. Their primary goal is to create a diverse class, it's not to get all the candidates with the highest GMAT. That is, unless you're applying to the 'next tier' of programs. They would probably put more weight on an extremely high (ie. over 750) GMAT score than the top ten, whose primary purpose is a unique class.
So, what makes you different from everyone else and even more acutely, what makes you different from those who would have a similar profile to you?
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2006, 08:51
Thanks for your response.....I will have put on my best thinking cap...it's not easy to beat higher scores and similar profiles.....At my test center, there was another guy retaking his GMAT because he didn't think his previous score of 720 was good enough!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Congrats [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2006, 19:51
Congrats to everyone who got over 700!

I, myself, got 740(98 percentile), Verbal: 41 (93 percentile), Math 49 (95 percentile) at the beginning of June. I had finished taking a course in NYC with Manhattan Reivew, and decided to take it thought I hand't been thinking of applying for schools until next year since I thought I'd need more work on prepping, but I thought I'd take the test while the prep class was still fresh in my mind. Thankfully I got a good enough score for my target schools. However, since I wasn't expecting a good enought score, I hdan't prepared any part of my app yet. Currently that's what I'm working on.

Target Schools: Kellogg, HBS
Undergrad major: Electronic Arts
Undergrad GPA: 3.6
Career: 4 years at a prestigious tech oriented publication, with good promo record.

If you guys have any tips for this or any questions for me, please feel free to PM me!
Congrats   [#permalink] 25 Jul 2006, 19:51