Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 16:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Over 75% of the energy produced in France derives from

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 672

Kudos [?]: 2893 [1] , given: 883

Over 75% of the energy produced in France derives from [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2012, 10:18
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

48% (01:47) correct 52% (00:45) wrong based on 269 sessions
Over 75% of the energy produced in France derives from nuclear power, while in Germany it is just over 33%.

A) while in Germany it is just over 33%
B) compared to Germany, which uses just over 33%
C) whereas nuclear poweraccounts for just over 33% of the energy produced in Germany
D) whereas just over 33% of the energy comes from nuclear power in Germany
E) compared with the energy from nuclear power in Germany, where it is just over 33%.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director

Kudos [?]: 2893 [2] , given: 883

Re: Over 75% of the energy produced in France [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2012, 10:27
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Concept Tested: Meaning, Clarity, Comparison
Difficulty level: High
Illustration:
This problem tests subtle differences of meaning and clarity, which appears when illogical things are compared.
In A, the pronoun “it” does not have a logical antecedent (which should be proportion of the energy which is derived
from nuclear power).

In B, a lot of things go wrong. “in France” is compared with “Germany” which is incorrect. Also B is not clear about whether Germany uses
33% of nuclear power of 33% of energy itself
D is clearly illogical and ambiguous. In D it is very unclear what the term “energy” suggests. It could be energy in
Germany or somewhere else that utilized 33% of German nuclear energy.

E has two errors. First, it compares a proportion of energy in France with energy derived from German nuclear power. E also uses “it” which lacks a logical antecedent.
C is correct.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.33
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 30 [1] , given: 11

Re: Over 75% of the energy produced in France [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2012, 02:15
This post received
KUDOS
souvik101990 wrote:
Over 75% of the energy produced in France derives from nuclear power, while in Germany it is just over 33%.

I had a confusion over C and D, but finally C wins due to it's clear and concise meaning.

A) while in Germany it is just over 33% -- it pronoun ambiguity
B) compared to Germany, which uses just over 33% - wrong comparison - you cannot compare Energy to Germany
C) whereas nuclear poweraccounts for just over 33% of the energy produced in Germany - Bingo
D) whereas just over 33% of the energy comes from nuclear power in Germany - absolutely ambiguous, and distorts the meaning.
E) compared with the energy from nuclear power in Germany, where it is just over 33% - again no antecedent to it

You want something, go get it . Period !

4 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 76 [4] , given: 31

Re: Over 75% of the energy produced in France derives from [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2012, 11:09
This post received
KUDOS
A) while in Germany it is just over 33%

What is IT referring to ? Seems to be referring to the POWER when it should refer to the production of power..

B) compared to Germany, which uses just over 33%

How can we compare the energy to a nation ?

C) whereas nuclear power accounts for just over 33% of the energy produced in Germany

Although Long , it expresses the sentiments contained in the original passage while removing the grammatical errors which existed in A .. We are referring to the energy produced in Germany and what percentage of that comes from nuclear power... therefore in the absence of an equally correct but shorter or better worded sentence this is correct..

D) whereas just over 33% of the energy comes from nuclear power in Germany

Doesn't make sense , energy comes from nuclear power in Germany , could mean something totally different .. We need to specify for example whether this is the 33% energy produced, consumed, energy exported, energy imported, energy wasted etc etc etc ..

E) compared with the energy from nuclear power in Germany, where it is just over 33%.

Still does not remove the ambiguity ....

Given the choices C is the best suited choice ..

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director

Kudos [?]: 2893 [1] , given: 883

Re: Over 75% of the energy produced in France derives from [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2012, 03:10
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Concept Tested: Meaning, Clarity, Comparison
Difficulty level: High
Illustration:
This problem tests subtle differences of meaning and clarity, which appears when illogical things are compared.
In A, the pronoun “it” does not have a logical antecedent (which should be proportion of the energy which is derived
from nuclear power).

In B, a lot of things go wrong. “in France” is compared with “Germany” which is incorrect. Also B is not clear about whether Germany uses
33% of nuclear power of 33% of energy itself
D is clearly illogical and ambiguous. In D it is very unclear what the term “energy” suggests. It could be energy in
Germany or somewhere else that utilized 33% of German nuclear energy.

E has two errors. First, it compares a proportion of energy in France with energy derived from German nuclear power. E also uses “it” which lacks a logical antecedent.
C is correct.

My GMAT Resources

My MBA Resources

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Current Student
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 267 [0], given: 67

Re: Over 75% of the energy produced in France derives from [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2012, 20:37
As per the explanations D is wrong since the word energy doesn't has the word produced or any other word. In its present form it means 33% of energy ( may be total energy or energy of any firm that produces energy)

I found that explanation in OG for eliminating option A ismore comprehensive........... While .... Is used for similarity and whereas for contrast.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 39

Re: Over 75% of the energy produced in France derives from [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 03:35
comma+do-ed

modifies ONLY immediately preceding noun

is that right?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 5

CAT Tests
Re: Over 75% of the energy produced in France derives from [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 10:43
thangvietnam wrote:
comma+do-ed

modifies ONLY immediately preceding noun

is that right?

Hi thangvietnam,

I'm not quite sure what you are referring to "comma+do=ed", but I can absolutely confirm that a comma construction does not always refer to the preceding noun. Indeed certain noun modifiers like "which" require the noun to precede the comma; however, verb modifiers also take a comma construction and can describe an entire phrase.

Noun modifier -> I ran the dog, which loves to run.
Verb modifier -> I ran the dog, during the coolest part of the day.

I used to make a similar assumption, but I realized that meaning should take a higher priority than construction during the first-read.
Hope this helps. Please correct me if I'm in error. Thanks! :beer

A little kudos never hurt anyone. :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 282

Re: Over 75% of the energy produced in France derives from [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 07:23
Yes, I was stuck b/W C and D. Was tricked into choosing D! C is the winner though

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

SVP
SVP
Followers: 266

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Over 75% of the energy produced in France derives from [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2014, 07:38
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Over 75% of the energy produced in France derives from   [#permalink] 19 Aug 2014, 07:38