Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 07:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Over 75% of the energy produced in France derives from

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 6

Over 75% of the energy produced in France derives from [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 12:21
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

33% (01:22) correct 67% (00:48) wrong based on 44 sessions
Over 75% of the energy produced in France derives from nuclear power, while in Germany it is just over 33%.
A) while in Germany it is just over 33%
B) compared to Germany, which uses just over 33%
C) whereas nuclear poweraccounts for just over 33% of the energy produced in Germany
D) whereas just over 33% of the energy comes from nuclear power in Germany
E) compared with the energy from nuclear power in Germany, where it is just over 33%

[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

:2gunfire:
Current Student
Schools: Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 45

Re: Wicked one!!!Give it a try [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 12:35
This question has been posted before. I'll give you a hint, not always the longer answers are wrong. Also watch for faulty parallelisms, pronouns missing antecedents and changes in meaning for the wrong options here. I agree it's a brutal one but you should be able to eliminate the wrong ones based on the mistakes I listed above. Thoughts?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Wicked one!!!Give it a try [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 13:20
ariel wrote:
This question has been posted before. I'll give you a hint, not always the longer answers are wrong. Also watch for faulty parallelisms, pronouns missing antecedents and changes in meaning for the wrong options here. I agree it's a brutal one but you should be able to eliminate the wrong ones based on the mistakes I listed above. Thoughts?

Yes thats a great approach. Faulty parallelism is the trap here.

-Underline your question. It takes only a few seconds!
-Search before you post.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: Wicked one!!!Give it a try [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 17:22
specifically for this question you need to look at whether the comparisons are parallel, that is whether the comparison makes sense ;)
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 420 [0], given: 36

Re: Wicked one!!!Give it a try [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 00:37
IMO : C

Indeed a challenging one when you are tired after the quant section on the D day..

Please press kudos if you like my post.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 86 [1] , given: 45

Re: Wicked one!!!Give it a try [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 05:43
This post received
KUDOS
I agree with C. papillon86, what in particular are you struggling with in this question? Would it help if I went over all the options one by one?
Manager
Manager

Re: Wicked one!!!Give it a try [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 10:21
Yes Ariel that would definitely help.

I'll make it easier for you.

I am particularly struggling with choice C & D here.
I could eliminate the rest of them.

Lately, i've been facing problems in identifying missing antecedents for pronouns too. Just not very confident about it.
Can we discuss your approach?

Thanks
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 86 [1] , given: 45

Re: Wicked one!!!Give it a try [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 11:19
This post received
KUDOS
Sure, let's go over the options one by one.

A) Here 'it' is missing an antecedent, I'm sure you got this. 'It' logically should stand for something like the proportion of energy derived from nuclear power. We can't use the noun/phrase in the preceding clause because that refers to the energy produced in France.

B) This sentence is really bad - there is faulty parallelism ('compared to Germany' is not parallel to anything). Also the sentence says that Germany "uses" something, but France doesn't, again parallelism issues.

C) This option is correct

D) This option is ambiguous. A likely meaning for this sentence the way it's written is that there is energy we don't know where that comes from nuclear power in Germany. All this is telling us is that there's nuclear power in Germany that is used to produce some type of energy. What this sentence refers to by "the energy" could be any energy ANYWHERE. Note that the way this sentence is written doesn't necessarily mean that the energy is in Germany, which is what might be what's confusing you.

E) Again, "it" doesn't have a legitimate antecedent. Also there's another faulty comparison in this option. It's comparing percentage of energy to energy.

Hope this helps a bit.
3 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 420 [3] , given: 36

Re: Wicked one!!!Give it a try [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 12:02
This post received
KUDOS
Just found this post interesting. I will try to reason why D is wrong.

It means that 33% of the energy produced in France comes from the nuclear power in Germany.

E.g I have a car; the car is red in color. "the car" refers to the same car in the previous sentence.

Now apply the same here -
"the" is determiner -> "the energy" about which we had spoken --> We had spoken about "the energy produced in France"

Over 75% of the energy produced in France derives from nuclear power, whereas just over 33% of the energy comes from nuclear power in Germany

Gotcha ! Ohh so just over 33% the energy produced in France comes from nuclear power in Germany. That's crap.
D is OUT Change of Meaning

ariel wrote:
Sure, let's go over the options one by one.

A) Here 'it' is missing an antecedent, I'm sure you got this. 'It' logically should stand for something like the proportion of energy derived from nuclear power. We can't use the noun/phrase in the preceding clause because that refers to the energy produced in France.

B) This sentence is really bad - there is faulty parallelism ('compared to Germany' is not parallel to anything). Also the sentence says that Germany "uses" something, but France doesn't, again parallelism issues.

C) This option is correct

D) This option is ambiguous. A likely meaning for this sentence the way it's written is that there is energy we don't know where that comes from nuclear power in Germany. All this is telling us is that there's nuclear power in Germany that is used to produce some type of energy. What this sentence refers to by "the energy" could be any energy ANYWHERE. Note that the way this sentence is written doesn't necessarily mean that the energy is in Germany, which is what might be what's confusing you.

E) Again, "it" doesn't have a legitimate antecedent. Also there's another faulty comparison in this option. It's comparing percentage of energy to energy.

Hope this helps a bit.

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Manager
Manager

Re: Wicked one!!!Give it a try [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 09:55
Can we please discuss some examples involving multiple antecedents for projouns like "it".

Really confusing me now.

Thanks
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 6

Re: Wicked one!!!Give it a try [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2010, 07:35
Hey nusmavrik, you explained option (D) really well. It is a very subtle thing to notice but a great question

I would appreciate if you can explain option C in the same simple way as you explained (D) because option (C) also has "the" before the word "energy". How can we justify "the energy" in option (C).

(C) whereas nuclear poweraccounts for just over 33% of the energy produced in Germany

Manager
Manager
Followers: 91

Kudos [?]: 388 [0], given: 0

Re: Wicked one!!!Give it a try [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2010, 02:09
papillon86 wrote:
Can we please discuss some examples involving multiple antecedents for projouns like "it".

Really confusing me now.

Thanks
papillon86 wrote:
Over 75% of the energy produced in France derives from nuclear power, while in Germany it is just over 33%.
A) while in Germany it is just over 33%
B) compared to Germany, which uses just over 33%
C) whereas nuclear poweraccounts for just over 33% of the energy produced in Germany
E) compared with the energy from nuclear power in Germany, where it is just over 33%

[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

Hi papillon86,

The reason that you cannot use "it" is because you are not comparing something to itself.

A tip regarding comparisons!

To compare something to itself, use "it" or "they".
Ex. The legs of chair A are more wobbly than they were yesterday.

To compare one thing to another, use "that" or "those".
Ex. The legs of chair A are more wobbly than those of chair B.

Thus, in the problem above, you do not want to compare the amount of energy produced in France to itself. Instead, the sentence seeks to compare the percentage of energy produced by nuclear power in France to the percentage of energy produced by nuclear power in Germany.

Does that help at all?

Best,
Sarai

Sarai
GMAT Verbal Instructor at http://www.linkedin.com/company/ofek-gmat/online-gmat-tutoring-22305743/product?trk=biz_product
Email me at saraiyaseen@gmail.com

If this helped, kindly give Kudos! :wink:

Re: Wicked one!!!Give it a try   [#permalink] 19 Jun 2010, 02:09