Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 14:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Over an eleven-month period, during which national retail co

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 5

Over an eleven-month period, during which national retail co [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2010, 20:26
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

19% (03:30) correct 81% (02:09) wrong based on 21 sessions
CAn someone explain the appraoch to tackle this question? Thanks.

Over an eleven-month period, during which national retail computer sales remained stable at 400,000 units per month, sales by the Friendly Computer Stores chain rose 200 percent, increasing the chain’s share of the total market to 7 percent. Other retail stores tried, without success, to attract customers away from the Friendly chain. Then regulation X was imposed on all computer retailers by the federal government. In the ensuing months, Friendly’s total share of the market fell to 4 percent, even though its monthly sales volume remained at the same level it had reached just prior to the enactment of regulation X.

Each of the following, in conjunction with the information presented above, could be true EXCEPT:

(1) All other computer retailers experienced a drop in their sales volume during the four-month period following the enactment of regulation X.

(2) All other computer companies lost some market share during the four-month period prior to the enactment of regulation X.

(3) The enactment of regulation X provided the Friendly chain’s competitors with an advantage they did not previously have.

(4) The enactment of regulation X did not provide the Friendly chain’s competitors with an advantage they did not previously have; other dramatic changes in other market forces caused the decline in the Friendly chain’s market share.

(5) In the period following the enactment of regulation X, many new computer retailers that specialized in low-budget computers entered the marketplace.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 2 yrs - Oilfield Service
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 7

Reviews Badge
Re: CR: Can be true (Except) [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2010, 23:32
11 month period. National sales is 400,000 units per month.
For the FCS chain, sales rose 200%, increasing its market share to 7%.

After regulation X:
FCS market share down to 4% BUT monthly sales volume remained the same as it was at the end of the 11 month period.

Which of the following CANNOT be true?

A. This cannot be true. Consider this: At the end of 11 month period, FCS had sales of 700, which was 7% of the entire market sales of 10,000. In ensuing months, FCS still sold 700, but this represents only 4% of the new market (=17,500), which must have obviously increased. If all other retailers experienced a DROP in the sales, how can the market increase, and thus the same amount of sales of FCS account for a lesser percentage of the market?!

I disagree with the OA, and am almost certain this is the answer.

B. This could be true, this is the 4 month period before regulation X, so there could have been fluctuations in that time, since we only know the net results of that 11 month period.

C. This could be true, and explains why the the other retailers experienced an increase in sales, and thus increasing the market relative to FCS's constant sales.

D. Other market force changes caused the market share decline - not some advantage that other people had over FCS. This is perfectly possible. What if regulation X caused some other changes in the market that explains FCS's constant sales but reduced market share? What if regulation X has nothing to do with what happened - perhaps some other event caused it.

E. This is perfectly possible and actually explains the increase in the market.

Pick A.

Please give Source and Original explanation if possible.
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 420 [0], given: 36

Re: CR: Can be true (Except) [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2010, 00:46
Totally agree!
4) and 5) are possible. In fact I would have marked D as the answer if this was an Paradox question. D is a logical conclusion why the "market sales volume" of FCC remained at a high level, yet the market share went down to 4%.

Premise : Friendly’s total share of the market fell to 4 percent, even though its monthly sales volume remained at the same level it had reached just prior to the enactment of regulation X.

5) is possible since the market share was poached from the "Friendly Computer Stores" so it went down to 4%

(4) The enactment of regulation X did not provide the Friendly chain’s competitors with an advantage they did not previously have; other dramatic changes in other market forces caused the decline in the Friendly chain’s market share.
(5) In the period following the enactment of regulation X, many new computer retailers that specialized in low-budget computers entered the marketplace.

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 5

Re: CR: Can be true (Except) [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2010, 11:35
This is a Princeton Review question. I have yet to see what expl they have given for the same. i had chosen D as the answer, having misread the question as a paradox ques. When I saw the answer, I was trying to find a logic for D as the answer.

The argument says that Regulation X had no effect on the sales figure but decreased the market share to 4%. Hence, Regulation caused decrease in market share.
D says that other market forces (assuming not the regulation) caused the decrease in the market share. Hence an alternate expl which would weaken the conclusion. If a choice weakens a concl, it cannot be true. The only puzzle here is that I cannot justify or explain the first part of choice D.

Would really welcome more comments and in the meantime find out the official expl as well.

Thanks
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 13

Re: CR: Can be true (Except) [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2010, 11:52
I chose A as well and am shocked with the OA. If all the chains experienceed a drop in sales volume post X while FCS kept its sales volume intact FCS' market share could not have declined... not sure how D is possible....
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 40

Re: CR: Can be true (Except) [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2010, 20:49
shocked because of the OA too, the new sales volume must increase
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 17

Re: CR: Can be true (Except) [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2010, 02:57
IMO A
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 11

Re: CR: Can be true (Except) [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2010, 07:01
Marked A as well.

is there any OE for choice D?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 3

Re: CR: Can be true (Except) [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2010, 08:08
The answer should be A.

After enactment of law X - Friendly computer stores shares dropped to 4% while sales volume is constant. This is possible if and only if sales of atleast some of the computer retailers has increased.

A is the choice at other GMAT forums as well. Hence I believe OA should be wrong.

check this out -
http://www.beatthegmat.com/inference-pr ... 60225.html

Thank You.

Thanks,
Akhil M.Parekh
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 6

Re: CR: Can be true (Except) [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2010, 16:53
i dont believe the OA.

A for me.
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 14

Re: CR: Can be true (Except) [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2010, 22:12
I per me answer should be A

Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Schools: Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 15

Re: CR: Can be true (Except) [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2010, 20:21
Why are the OAs posted so wrong? I found several CRs posted here with the wrong OAs. It makes me wonder if one should only look at questions from official sources.

Now one thing about choice A is that it refers to "4 months" whereas the passage says "ensuing months". Perhaps the sales volume for others increased but it was after the 4 months. In which case D would make sense as if nothing else changed and the regulation was enacted on ALL then something must have been unfavorable to the particular company in question to reduce the market share?

What do you think?

Consider kudos, they are good for health

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 6 years - Consulting
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 27

Re: CR: Can be true (Except) [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 01:01
mainhoon wrote:
Why are the OAs posted so wrong? I found several CRs posted here with the wrong OAs. It makes me wonder if one should only look at questions from official sources.

Now one thing about choice A is that it refers to "4 months" whereas the passage says "ensuing months". Perhaps the sales volume for others increased but it was after the 4 months. In which case D would make sense as if nothing else changed and the regulation was enacted on ALL then something must have been unfavorable to the particular company in question to reduce the market share?

What do you think?

I agree with you. Am tired of wrong OAs in CR. However, talking about D I believe it is the list of possible option and cannot be weighed in the "EXCEPT" option. It is very much possible that a some changes in the market forces affected only company FCS and not others. So A is the only option which seems possible

Consider giving Kudos if my post helps in some way

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIT Madras
WE 1: 2+ years - Programming
WE 2: 3+ years - Product developement,
WE 3: 2+ years - Program management
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 104

Re: CR: Can be true (Except) [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 02:18
Hmm... after 3.5 mins ... I picked A... and guess what!

So in general, for these questions..do you guys read and make notes before reading the options? What is the general attack pattern for lengthy questions?

Let me atleast be enlightened on the technique using this problem.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Can be true (Except) [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 05:01
i think A
Re: CR: Can be true (Except)   [#permalink] 14 Sep 2010, 05:01