Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Nov 2014, 04:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Over his 65-year life span, Hughes, one of Americas most

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [2] , given: 0

Over his 65-year life span, Hughes, one of Americas most [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2005, 08:58
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

59% (01:43) correct 41% (00:49) wrong based on 56 sessions
Over his 65-year life span, Hughes, one of America's most enduring writers and a key figure in the Harlem Renaissance of the 1920s, will have published hundreds of poems, plus novels, short stories, autobiographies, librettos, essays and children's books.

A. will have published hundreds of poems, plus novels, short stories, autobiographies, librettos, essays and children's books.
B. is publishing hundreds of poems, plus novels, short stories, autobiographies, librettos, essays and children's books.
C. would have published hundreds of poems, plus novels, short stories, autobiographies, librettos, essays and children's books.
D. will publish hundreds of poems, plus novels, short stories, autobiographies, librettos, essays and children's books.
E. would publish hundreds of poems, plus novels, short stories, autobiographies, librettos, essays and children's books.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2005, 09:34
My answer is A

C, D, E are all subjunctive moods that take different tenses.

B is awkward

Don't be afraid to take a flying leap of faith.. If you risk nothing, than you gain nothing...

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2005, 09:40
My pick : "C"

A - "will have published" is future perfect tense ... used to indicate some action will be completed in the future. Clearly, in this case we are looking at hughes 65 year life span (that is past tense). I believe future perfect is incorrect

B - "is publishing" is present tense. It does not go with an action has taken place in the past

C - correct past tense - "would have published"

D - will publish - future tense - incorrect

E - would publish - future tense - incorrect
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2005, 11:58
This post received
KUDOS
I think E is the best. The use of the condition is correct in this sentence.
CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2005, 17:09
Wierd sentence. :shock: C seems to be best.

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2005, 19:04
Definite C. C is the most idiomatic...Hughes would have published
4 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [4] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2005, 08:49
This post received
KUDOS
well.. the OA is E.

The best answer is E. Choices A, B and D use tenses that can only be used for the living. Hughes, the subject of the sentence, is deceased, as is evidenced by the sentence. Choice C sets up a condition would have published... but the condition is then not specified.
3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 55 [3] , given: 6

Re: Over his 65-year life span, Hughes, one of Americas most [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2012, 08:00
This post received
KUDOS
Straight E. That answer option uses the right tense to indicate that something that has already happened, is being anticipated to occur as if it hasn't happened. The word "would" fulfills this bill.

Cheers.

Posted from my mobile device Image

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 1780 [1] , given: 249

Re: Over his 65-year life span, Hughes, one of Americas most [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2012, 22:36
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
To understand this topic in its right perspective, please travel with me to the beginning of the Hughes’s life-span of 65 years and look at the events from there
A. 65 years is deep in the past and hence we need a past tense related verb and the use of will have published, a future perfect tense is inappropriate.
B. Is publishing is also wrong for the same reasons as in A
C. Would have published is sheer speculation as though, a correct count could not be taken even at the end of the 65- year tenure. incorrect
D. Will publish does not go well with the pastness
E. Would publish gives the picture of a report, because, starting from the beginning, the tense indicates a factual factor. correct choice

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 2

Re: Over his 65-year life span, Hughes, one of Americas most [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2012, 13:00
daagh

can you tell me what makes option C wrong. The only difference is "would have" and "would". Please explain in detail
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1780 [2] , given: 249

Re: Over his 65-year life span, Hughes, one of Americas most [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2012, 02:11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Here the text wants to assert that Hughes has published a certain number of things. ‘Would publish’, a past future tense of ‘will publish’ does that job neatly. On the contrary, ‘would have published’ leaves us with an uncertainty whether he did publish at all so many. This element of speculation makes C inferior.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Over his 65-year life span, Hughes, one of Americas most [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2012, 02:24
This post received
KUDOS
over his 65-year life span, Hughes, one of America's most enduring writers and a key figure in the Harlem Renaissance of the 1920s, will have published hundreds of poems, plus novels, short stories, autobiographies, librettos, essays and children's books.

A. will have published hundreds of poems, plus novels, short stories, autobiographies, librettos, essays and children's books.
B. is publishing hundreds of poems, plus novels, short stories, autobiographies, librettos, essays and children's books.
C. would have published hundreds of poems, plus novels, short stories, autobiographies, librettos, essays and children's books.
D. will publish hundreds of poems, plus novels, short stories, autobiographies, librettos, essays and children's books.
E. would publish hundreds of poems, plus novels, short stories, autobiographies, librettos, essays and children's books.

lets start the elimination process. A - Can not because will have denotes something in the future but sentence
says -Over his 65 years - means the its about past tense.
So - Eliminate B and D.

Now Out of C & E, E is a conditional sentence - Would publish.... that can be said for future work as well. So only Option left is C and that is the best answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 2

Re: Over his 65-year life span, Hughes, one of Americas most [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2012, 06:34
Hai , daagh

thanks, i got your point. Can you suggest any material or website that covers this topic. I am not aware with all wordings like "would".
Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1780 [0], given: 249

Re: Over his 65-year life span, Hughes, one of Americas most [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2012, 07:39
Expert's post
Google for modal verbs, among which would is one. Many sites have writings on the use of would, acting as a future tense of will in indirect speech, and as a subjunctive mood auxiliary verb in hypothetical cases.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Over his 65-year life span, Hughes, one of Americas most [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2013, 18:31
what is the difficulty lvl of this question? 600? 650?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: Over his 65-year life span, Hughes, one of Americas most [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2013, 21:24
OK...
learning is a conditional sentence should be avoided...
I was not aware of that..

I had confusion between c and E...

But, since E is OA...i accept!
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: ISB '15

Kudos [?]: 4 [4] , given: 76

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Over his 65-year life span, Hughes, one of Americas most [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2013, 10:03
This post received
KUDOS
rohitgupta86 wrote:
OK...
learning is a conditional sentence should be avoided...
I was not aware of that..

I had confusion between c and E...

But, since E is OA...i accept!

Guys, remember simple logic

In problems of this type -
Past goes with conditional -ALWAYS
present goes with future - ALWAYS

Past + future - ALWAYS WRONG
Present + conditional - ALWAYS WRONG

Coming to current problem, first part is in past. Hence next part should be conditional
Here, both WOULD HAVE and WOULD are conditional
Yet there is a difference:
Would have is used for the past which never happened. Eg- if John had eaten pizza yesterday, he would have fell ill.
Note here that John didn't eat pizza in fact.

Would is used when we know it has happened, as in present case. John, who ate pizza yesterday, would become ill. Here it's past+conditional.

Hope it's clear.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

Re: Over his 65-year life span, Hughes, one of Americas most [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2013, 15:46
Can someone help explain to me what sentence E means? To me, I understand C, which requires an If, for example, "If Hughes, one of America's most enduring writers and a key figure in the Harlem Renaissance of the 1920's, had lived 65 years, he would have published.... Meaning that he did not publish the poems, but if he lived that long he would have.

As for E, I'm confused with the actual meaning of the sentence. It's using the hypothetical would, but it's written like the sentence is stating a fact. As a native English speaker, I've never heard this tense used before. Wouldn't it be better said "...Hughes published hundreds of poems, plus novels,..." ? Which says that he actually did the act.

In Manhattan GMAT sentence correction, it gives this example:

If Sophie ate pizza tomorrow, then she would become ill.
If some hypothetical action, she would...

And this

If Sophie had eaten Pizza yesterday, then she would have become ill.
If past perfect (didn't happen), then hypothetical.

To me, E is completely different to either of these examples. If someone could expand on the meaning of E, that would be great.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Information Technology(Retail)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 29

Re: Over his 65-year life span, Hughes, one of Americas most [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2013, 03:01
IMO ans is C.

Would is used for assumption,hypothetical situations. C & E remaining. Out of the two only C seems correct.
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [3] , given: 6

Re: Over his 65-year life span, Hughes, one of Americas most [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2013, 03:07
This post received
KUDOS
There is big confusion between C and E.

As per the intended meaning: There are some works that Hughes did repeatedly in his 65-years of life span.

Would Vs Would have:
C: Hughes would have published X, Y, Z.
Means If something had happened Hughes would have published. This is not the author wants to convey.

E: Hughes would publish X,Y,Z.
Means: In his life span of 65 years Hughes published X,Y,Z repeatedly.
Supporting Doc: "Would" is most commonly used to create conditional verb forms. It also serves as the past form of the modal verb "will." Additionally, "would" can indicate repetition in the past.
Examples:
If he were an actor, he would be in adventure movies. conditional
I knew that she would be very successful in her career. past of "will"
When they first met, they would always have picnics on the beach. repetition

So choice E.
Re: Over his 65-year life span, Hughes, one of Americas most   [#permalink] 11 Sep 2013, 03:07