Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Over his 65-year life span, Hughes, one of Americas most

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Over his 65-year life span, Hughes, one of Americas most [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2006, 06:40
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Over his 65-year life span, Hughes, one of America’s most enduring writers and a key figure in the Harlem Renaissance of the 1920’s, will have published hundreds of poems, plus novels, short stories, autobiographies, librettos, essays and children’s books.

A. will have published hundreds of poems, plus novels, short stories, autobiographies, librettos, essays and children’s books.
B. is publishing hundreds of poems, plus novels, short stories, autobiographies, librettos, essays and children’s books.
C. would have published hundreds of poems, plus novels, short stories, autobiographies, librettos, essays and children’s books.
D. will publish hundreds of poems, plus novels, short stories, autobiographies, librettos, essays and children’s books.
E. would publish hundreds of poems, plus novels, short stories, autobiographies, librettos, essays and children’s books.

Edit(giddi77): Underlined the appropriate portion of the original sentence
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC:Hughes [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2006, 06:43
zoom612 wrote:
Over his 65-year life span, Hughes, one of America’s most enduring writers and a key figure in the Harlem Renaissance of the 1920’s, will have published hundreds of poems, plus novels, short stories, autobiographies, librettos, essays and children’s books.

A. will have published hundreds of poems, plus novels, short stories, autobiographies, librettos, essays and children’s books.
B. is publishing hundreds of poems, plus novels, short stories, autobiographies, librettos, essays and children’s books.
C. would have published hundreds of poems, plus novels, short stories, autobiographies, librettos, essays and children’s books.
D. will publish hundreds of poems, plus novels, short stories, autobiographies, librettos, essays and children’s books.
E. would publish hundreds of poems, plus novels, short stories, autobiographies, librettos, essays and children’s books.

I think its between C and E

I will go with E on this one

I believe its yogurt!

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2006, 06:54
biggamejames wrote:
I'm on A.

James...can you please explain why? that will help me learn from you :)

I believe its yogurt!

VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2006, 07:34
This question is yet another sign that you should not ignore tenses... and since nobody wants to talk about those, I will try to put my 2 cents why I picked A

A uses Future Perfect Simple, so lets start here
Future Perfect Simple Tense
WILL HAVE + PAST PARTICIPLE

When to use Future Perfect Simple:
* Completed Action Before Something in the Future
example: I will have arrived to Dublin by 9am tomorrow. (Something in the future - 9am)
* Show that the action will be completed by a certain time
example: I will have finished my studies by the end of the summer. (End of the summer is a certain time when my studying will be finished)

B uses Present Progressive... meaning that author is currently in the process of publishing... which doesn't make sense due to "over 65 years"

D uses Future Simple, so let's look at it:

Future Simple:
WILL(SHALL)+VERB FORM 1

When to use Future Simple:
* To expresses an action or situation that will occur in the future
example: I will go to the U2 concert tomorrow. (I wish :wink: )

Now here, in our question, this tense will not work because of the time frame again, which shows that all these things had already happened over his 65 year life span...

C and E use "would" and so far, from what I understand, "WOULD" is only a CONDITIONAL tense... But in this sentence, there is no condition, because it states facts about the life of Hughes, hence C and E are out

A is the ONLY choice that survives in my logic!
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2006, 08:41

Its between A and D for me...

Going with D.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2006, 09:00
this question isn't giving me a break... can someone talk about using "would"? is it really only used in the conditional and if it is, then what is the condition in this sentence? The fact that "books were published over 65 year span"?

all the searches for "WOULD" give either very ambiguous answers or very narrowed...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2006, 10:14
D.

I don't see any reason to use would here.
Manager
Manager

Re: SC:Hughes [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2006, 11:34
zoom612 wrote:

I vote for A.
The sentence with 'Over his 65-year life span' suggests that Hughes is 65 or over, has published many so far and will publish until he dies.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC:Hughes [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2006, 12:31
Given the less than 2 min alloted time, between A & E, I believe its E.

Not B, since Hughes is publishing indicates the action in the present
Not D, since Hughes will publish indicates the accomplishment in the future
Not C, since Hughes would have published indicates future conditional

E sounds better (Hughes would publish hundreds of poems over his 65-year life span) than A.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2006, 12:44
(C) looks best to me.
Its speculating how many books would he publish over a life span of 65 yrs..
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2006, 15:50
From another thread:

"OA is E.

The best answer is E. Choices A, B and D use tenses that can only be used for the living. Hughes, the subject of the sentence, is deceased, as is evidenced by the sentence. Choice C sets up a condition would have published... but the condition is then not specified."

But we should continue discussing...

I believe its yogurt!

VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC:Hughes [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2006, 20:51
zoom612 wrote:

Would is necessary because its not a real event. C is out because its not a conditional expression (no if clause).

E makes sense. I was also tored between C and E. finally arranged to chose E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2006, 00:18
I can't really understand the meaning of the sentence. :?
Can someone please explain?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2006, 01:07
To me .. C makes the best choice ... E looks a little awkward to me .. ( if take it that the guy is dead ) ... "would have" makes sense coz ... author isn't sure of the figures .. just guessing ...

--I never think of future, it comes soon enough!!

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC:Hughes [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2006, 07:33
seriously... this question wasn't giving me a break all night long... in fact, it was a first thing on my mind when I woke up this morning... was having nightmares about "would" :twisted:

I am still confused... how do we know Hughes is alive?

MA wrote:
Would is necessary because its not a real event. C is out because its not a conditional expression (no if clause).

hey MA, what do you mean it isn't a real event? as far as I am concerned this sentence is talking about the past 65 years when all this publishing and other stuff happened.

I guess the most important here is to realize what is the point of time the statement has... meaning are we in the past predicting future or we are in the future/present looking back at the past? and that stupid "WOULD"... I have to get to the bottom of this... :roll:
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC:Hughes [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2006, 20:53
u2lover wrote:
how do we know Hughes is alive?

i am not expert but my 2 cents are:

"Over his 65-year life span" conveys a massage that Hughes is not alive.

from the prsent, we are speculating that Huges could have wrote x, y and z in his 65 years life span..
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC:Hughes [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2006, 07:32
MA wrote:
u2lover wrote:
how do we know Hughes is alive?

i am not expert but my 2 cents are:

"Over his 65-year life span" conveys a massage that Hughes is not alive.

from the prsent, we are speculating that Huges could have wrote x, y and z in his 65 years life span..

could have wrote? that means that he didn't? so did he or didn't he write all these things? :? also if the statement is in present, then how come we are speculating about the past (we already know it happened)?

any SC experts, if it isn't too much to ask, can you PLEASE shed some light on "WOULD" part?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: SC:Hughes [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2006, 07:58
From a dictionary:

You use would, or would have with a past participle, to indicate that you are assuming or guessing that something is true, because you have good reasons for thinking it.

You wouldn't know him.
His fans would already be familiar with Caroline.
It was half seven; her mother would be annoyed because he was so late.

I think this explanation suits (E), I mean guessing.

You go, we go

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC:Hughes [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2006, 08:21
fireboll wrote:
From a dictionary:

You use would, or would have with a past participle, to indicate that you are assuming or guessing that something is true, because you have good reasons for thinking it.

You wouldn't know him.
His fans would already be familiar with Caroline.
It was half seven; her mother would be annoyed because he was so late.

I think this explanation suits (E), I mean guessing.

thanks for the effort!

so in our example we are guessing the Hughes published books because he was an author? yet I still don't know if he is alive or dead... does it really matter here? to me it doesn't imply anything about dead and I feel like it is an open question...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: SC:Hughes [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2006, 08:29
u2lover wrote:
thanks for the effort!

so in our example we are guessing the Hughes published books because he was an author? yet I still don't know if he is alive or dead... does it really matter here? to me it doesn't imply anything about dead and I feel like it is an open question...

If someone's life span is known, he should be dead.
(So I'm alive! :-D )

You go, we go

Re: SC:Hughes   [#permalink] 30 Jun 2006, 08:29