Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 14:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Over the course of the eighteenth century, the average

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Over the course of the eighteenth century, the average [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2006, 09:40
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

55% (01:40) correct 45% (01:55) wrong based on 13 sessions
Over the course of the eighteenth century, the average output of ironwork tripled as a result of several improvements in blowing machinery and because coal replaced charcoal as the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore.
A.Over the course of the eighteenth century, the average output of ironwork tripled as a result of several improvements in blowing machinery and because coal replaced charcoal as the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore.

B.Over the course of the eighteenth century a tripling in the average output of ironwork was due to the replacement of charcoal by coal for the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore, in addition to several improvements in blowing machinery.

C.With charcoal’s being replaced by coal as the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore and several improvements in blowing machinery, the average output of ironwork tripled over the eighteenth century.

D.The replacement of charcoal with coal for the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore and several improvements in blowing machinery, the average output of ironwork tripled over the eighteenth century.

E.Charcoal being replaced by coal as the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore, and several improvements in blowing machinery, which tripled the average output of ironwork over the course of the eighteenth century.
CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2006, 10:46
Swagatalakshmi wrote:
(B) is my answer

Whats the reasoning behind your answer?

I think A is good.

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2006, 10:56
I think (B) too.The two causes must be combined into a single sentence.

A well-balanced person is one who has a drink in each of his hands.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Berkeley Haas
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2006, 11:11
I go for A. B sounds artificial, "a tripling was due" is painfully unidiomatic.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2006, 12:23
A.Over the course of the eighteenth century, the average output of ironwork tripled as a result of several improvements in blowing machinery and because coal replaced charcoal as the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore.

Clear A...

B : tripling??
C : being??
D : no connection between the two phrases...
E : being??
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2006, 12:30
ps_dahiya wrote:
Swagatalakshmi wrote:
(B) is my answer

Whats the reasoning behind your answer?

I think A is good.

I goofed up. :beat I was trying to solve it under 1.5 minute ... looks like I'm not there yet :hammer

I diagramed the original sentence and found two perfectly joined adverbial clauses.

"Education is what remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Over the course of the eighteenth century, the average [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2011, 02:25
Send me emails if you want to discuss SC with me, and the address is in the signiture.

The basic idea of my argument for choosing A is that there is an semantical ambiguity about the verbial modifier 'over the century'

I think D, E are clearly grammatically unsound.

So A B & C are left.

Now, suppose they are all grammatically correct.

In the sentence B, the problem is we are not sure about the time when 'a tripling' occurs.

Let's consider the following sentence:
#1,Over the course of the last two decades, the disintegration of the Soviet Union continued effecting the international politics.

The disintegration of Soviet Union didn't last for 20 years. What incessantly existed in the last 20 years was the effect of its disintegration. 'Over the course of the last two decades' is an adverbial modifier, and it is modifying the whole sentence, not the subject.

Back to the choice B:
Its main structure is:
over the course of 18th century (advervial modifier) a tripling (subject) was due to...(predicative).
And the adverbial is modifying the whole sentence, not the subject. So we are not sure when the 'tripling' happened.
But the author clearly wanted to tell us that 'the output of iron outwork' were incassently growing over the whole 18th century, and it tripled as a result.

So B is ambiguous.

For C

There are two ambiguous points:

1. Sentence C fails to show the causal relationship between 'the output of iron' and 'those technique improvements'.
As we can inform, the author tried to tell us the improvements of certain techniques CAUSE the tripling of iron output.
But by using 'with', the sentence C fails to tell us the logic relationship between the 'improvements of techniques' and 'tripling of iron output'

For example:
#3 I passed the exam, with the pan borrowed from my roommate.
#4 I passed the exam, by using the pan borrowed from my roommate.
#5 I passed the exam, with very little preparation

In #3, there is no causal relationship between 'pass the exam' and 'pan borrowed from my roommate'. They are just coincident.
but by #4, I claim that there is some (magical) causal relationship between 'pass the exam' and 'using the pan...'
In #5, the preposition 'with' shows a little flavor of surprise: even though I had little preparation, I passed the exam. And here, no causal relationship at all.

Back to our question. By using 'with', Sentence C only shows the coincidence of those events (like the pan and to pass the exam), not their causal relationship which the author was dying to tell us.

2. the adverbial modifier in sentence C failed tell us when those techniques improvements happed.

As I mentioned above, the adverbial modifier is modifying the sentence. In sentence C, luckily, the adverbial 'over 18 century' is clearly modifying the sentence 'the output tripled', and this is what the author wanted to say.

But it is not modifying other adverbials, i.e. 'charcoal's being replaced by coal as the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore and several improvements in blowing machinery'. Therefore, we are still not sure about when these happened.

So C is out.

Choose A.

A's structure looked wierd, because the author intenionally put the three parts together without using a comma:
1 the output tripled...
2 as a result of the improvement of...
3 and because the coal replace...
Therefore the adverbial modifier 'over the cause of the 18th century' with a comma can modify these three simultaneously, and A clearly tells us that the tripling is a tripling over the 18th century, and that the improvement of blowing technique and the coal replacement both happened some times during the 18th century.

So although A looks very artificial, it clearly shows what the author wanted to tell us

I am a student from China, and working on SC now
Send me email if you want to discuss gmat SC with me
email: zhengkangcheng@126(.)com (remove the parentheses)

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Over the course of the eighteenth century, the average [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2011, 10:28
egoistwlv wrote:
Send me emails if you want to discuss SC with me, and the address is in the signiture.

The basic idea of my argument for choosing A is that there is an semantical ambiguity about the verbial modifier 'over the century'

I think D, E are clearly grammatically unsound.

So A B & C are left.

Now, suppose they are all grammatically correct.

In the sentence B, the problem is we are not sure about the time when 'a tripling' occurs.

Let's consider the following sentence:
#1,Over the course of the last two decades, the disintegration of the Soviet Union continued effecting the international politics.

The disintegration of Soviet Union didn't last for 20 years. What incessantly existed in the last 20 years was the effect of its disintegration. 'Over the course of the last two decades' is an adverbial modifier, and it is modifying the whole sentence, not the subject.

Back to the choice B:
Its main structure is:
over the course of 18th century (advervial modifier) a tripling (subject) was due to...(predicative).
And the adverbial is modifying the whole sentence, not the subject. So we are not sure when the 'tripling' happened.
But the author clearly wanted to tell us that 'the output of iron outwork' were incassently growing over the whole 18th century, and it tripled as a result.

So B is ambiguous.

For C

There are two ambiguous points:

1. Sentence C fails to show the causal relationship between 'the output of iron' and 'those technique improvements'.
As we can inform, the author tried to tell us the improvements of certain techniques CAUSE the tripling of iron output.
But by using 'with', the sentence C fails to tell us the logic relationship between the 'improvements of techniques' and 'tripling of iron output'

For example:
#3 I passed the exam, with the pan borrowed from my roommate.
#4 I passed the exam, by using the pan borrowed from my roommate.
#5 I passed the exam, with very little preparation

In #3, there is no causal relationship between 'pass the exam' and 'pan borrowed from my roommate'. They are just coincident.
but by #4, I claim that there is some (magical) causal relationship between 'pass the exam' and 'using the pan...'
In #5, the preposition 'with' shows a little flavor of surprise: even though I had little preparation, I passed the exam. And here, no causal relationship at all.

Back to our question. By using 'with', Sentence C only shows the coincidence of those events (like the pan and to pass the exam), not their causal relationship which the author was dying to tell us.

2. the adverbial modifier in sentence C failed tell us when those techniques improvements happed.

As I mentioned above, the adverbial modifier is modifying the sentence. In sentence C, luckily, the adverbial 'over 18 century' is clearly modifying the sentence 'the output tripled', and this is what the author wanted to say.

But it is not modifying other adverbials, i.e. 'charcoal's being replaced by coal as the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore and several improvements in blowing machinery'. Therefore, we are still not sure about when these happened.

So C is out.

Choose A.

A's structure looked wierd, because the author intenionally put the three parts together without using a comma:
1 the output tripled...
2 as a result of the improvement of...
3 and because the coal replace...
Therefore the adverbial modifier 'over the cause of the 18th century' with a comma can modify these three simultaneously, and A clearly tells us that the tripling is a tripling over the 18th century, and that the improvement of blowing technique and the coal replacement both happened some times during the 18th century.

So although A looks very artificial, it clearly shows what the author wanted to tell us

I go for A. Dont think anything is wrong with the original sentence.
Very thorough analysis Zeng. Good one.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 15

Re: Over the course of the eighteenth century, the average [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2011, 19:06
I vote for an A here. But A does not seem parallel. Can we have some expert advice on that?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Over the course of the eighteenth century, the average [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2011, 17:13
Can't decide b/w A and C, but in exam would choose C. Because A is not parallel, as a result...and because
where as C lack cause effect but uses but is parallel.
Re: Over the course of the eighteenth century, the average   [#permalink] 01 Nov 2011, 17:13