Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:11 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618650 [27]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [3]
Given Kudos: 91
Schools: HBS '18 IIMA
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13376 [2]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618650 [3]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Re: Over the last two years, who made more money investing in the stock [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
Over the last two years, who made more money investing in the stock market, Leslie or Kerri?

(1) Leslie made an average rate of return (arithmetic mean) of 20%, and Kerri made an average rate of return (arithmetic mean) of 5%.
(2) Kerri started with two times as much money as Leslie.

Kudos for a correct solution.

800score Official Solution:

Though we know Leslie and Kerri's average returns, we have little idea as to what their total returns are.

These abstract questions are best solved with Plug In. This one can be solved by plugging in 1. For example, if Leslie made a 100% rate of return one year and a -60% rate of return the next year, the average rate of return would be (100% – 60%)/2 = 20%.

However, Leslie would only be left with year one 100% and -60% = (1 + 1) (1 – 0.6) = 2(0.4) = 80% of her original investment. This means that she lost 20%!

So statement (1) is insufficient.

Furthermore, statement (2) is clearly insufficient by itself because no returns are given.
Combined with statement (1), statement (2) doesn’t make the distribution of returns any clearer, so the answer is (E).
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: Over the last two years, who made more money investing in the stock [#permalink]
but who would make the average of return %??? this is illogical...makes no sense at all..
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13376 [1]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mvictor wrote:
but who would make the average of return %??? this is illogical...makes no sense at all..

Hi mvictor

You don't have to do complete calculation to ensure your answer

Data sufficient Questions don't expect you to solve the question completely they only expect you to think deeps and find the sufficiency of Information to answer the given question

Now Average of 5 may be obtained by taking 10 and 0 on one hand

on the other hand Average of 5 may be obtained by taking 5 and 5

If you can think of such two scenarios then you can do a little calculation to ensure whether the information is sufficient or not

P.S. You don't have to solve the equations to last steps in Data Sufficiency, You only have to figure our the consistency/inconsistensy of solutions obtained
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
GMATinsight wrote:
mvictor wrote:

Hi mvictor

You don't have to do complete calculation to ensure your answer

Data sufficient Questions don't expect you to solve the question completely they only expect you to think deeps and find the sufficiency of Information to answer the given question

Now Average of 5 may be obtained by taking 10 and 0 on one hand

on the other hand Average of 5 may be obtained by taking 5 and 5

If you can think of such two scenarios then you can do a little calculation to ensure whether the information is sufficient or not

P.S. You don't have to solve the equations to last steps in Data Sufficiency, You only have to figure our the consistency/inconsistensy of solutions obtained

thanks for reply. my point of view was that no person who has knowledge of accounting/finance would do such calculations, as such are illogical at all. this is not how average is calculated for return...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Over the last two years, who made more money investing in the stock [#permalink]
Quote:
(1) Leslie made an average rate of return (arithmetic mean) of 20%, and Kerri made an average rate of return (arithmetic mean) of 5%.

Pardon my understanding, but isn't the above term too vague. It's averaged out over what? Annual return is just an assumption. What if Leslie started with $100 and made 20% (which is $20) and Kerri started with $400 did the trades several times a day each with a 5% increase. Wouldn't P*1.05*1.05*1.05*......*1.05 be much bigger than P*1.20 in this case?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92883 posts