Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 16:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Over the last year, a certain company dismissed a large

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 290 [0], given: 20

Over the last year, a certain company dismissed a large [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 00:29
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

86% (02:48) correct 14% (02:26) wrong based on 37 sessions
Over the last year, a certain company dismissed a large number of employees in its marketing division and did not hire any replacements.
Although the other two divisions each added new employees during that period, the company employs significantly fewer people now than a year ago. Moreover, none of the employees who worked at the company last year has had a salary increase over the last year. Nevertheless, the company’s total costs for salaries have increased slightly.

The information above, if accurate, most strongly supports which of the following?

A. Many of the people who lost their jobs in the company’s marketing division were rehired by one of the other two divisions.
B. At least one of the two divisions that added employees last year employs more people than the marketing division does.
C. The total amount the company pays in salaries to employees in its marketing division is now lower than the total amount it pays in salaries to employees in either of the other two divisions.
D. The average salary paid to the new employees is higher than the average salary paid to those people who lost their jobs in the marketing division.
E. The company’s profits this year are slightly higher than they were last year.

That AvrgA > AvrgB, does not imply sumA > sumB.

Find below what i mean:
ScenarioA: 11 workers; 10 receive $1 each while 1 receives $100;
SumA = $110
AvrA = $11

ScenarioB: 2 workers; each receive $50.
SumB: = $100
AvrgB: = $50

We can see that even though AvrgA > AvrgB, the sum of salaries for A is LESS than B.
With OA as
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D
would that not be controversial?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

1 KUDOS received
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 716 [1] , given: 116

Premium Member
Re: certain company dismissed employees [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 02:19
This post received
KUDOS
gmatbull wrote:
Over the last year, a certain company dismissed a large number of employees in its marketing division and did not hire any replacements.
Although the other two divisions each added new employees during that period, the company employs significantly fewer people now than a year ago. Moreover, none of the employees who worked at the company last year has had a salary increase over the last year. Nevertheless, the company’s total costs for salaries have increased slightly.

The information above, if accurate, most strongly supports which of the following?

A. Many of the people who lost their jobs in the company’s marketing division were rehired by one of the other two divisions.
B. At least one of the two divisions that added employees last year employs more people than the marketing division does.
C. The total amount the company pays in salaries to employees in its marketing division is now lower than the total amount it pays in salaries to employees in either of the other two divisions.
D. The average salary paid to the new employees is higher than the average salary paid to those people who lost their jobs in the marketing division.
E. The company’s profits this year are slightly higher than they were last year.

That AvrgA > AvrgB, does not imply sumA > sumB.

Find below what i mean:
ScenarioA: 11 workers; 10 receive $1 each while 1 receives $100;
SumA = $110
AvrA = $11

ScenarioB: 2 workers; each receive $50.
SumB: = $100
AvrgB: = $50

We can see that even though AvrgA > AvrgB, the sum of salaries for A is LESS than B.
With OA as
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D
would that not be controversial?

We are given sum of A > sum of B.
We are also given no. of A < No. of B

So it is guaranteed that avg. of A > avg of B.

Illustration :

$100 > 99$

100 people < 101 people

1 > 0.98

Kudos Please... If my post helped.

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 290 [0], given: 20

Re: certain company dismissed employees [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 04:47
MacFauz,
+1 for u...I got it now

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Re: certain company dismissed employees   [#permalink] 29 Oct 2012, 04:47