Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 19:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Over the past few years, banks have systematically raised

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Indicate your answer..

You may select 1 option
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 263 [1] , given: 67

Over the past few years, banks have systematically raised [#permalink] New post 24 May 2013, 01:32
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

67% (01:58) correct 33% (00:51) wrong based on 169 sessions
Over the past few years, banks have systematically raised their old fees and invented new ones that are harder and harder for consumers to avoid.

(A) banks have systematically raised their old fees and invented new ones that are harder and harder for consumers to avoid

(B) banks are systematically raising their old fees and inventing new ones that become harder and harder for consumers to avoid.

(C) banks systematically raising and inventing new ones make them harder and harder for consumers to avoid

(D) as banks systematically raised their old fees and invented new ones, avoiding them becomes harder and harder for consumers

(E) as banks have systematically raised their old fees and invented new ones, it is becoming harder and harder for consumers to avoid them.

OA will be updated soon....

Consider kudos if my post helps!!!

Archit
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Archit143 on 24 May 2013, 08:34, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 263 [0], given: 67

Re: Over the past few years, banks have systematically raised [#permalink] New post 24 May 2013, 01:36
I have a doubt in answer choice A...From what i have learned; we cannot use present perfect tense with a time reference, unless since and within are used.
So how can we use here in this context.

Last year, Archit visited Europe
Last year, Archit has visited Europe.

Which one is correct and why?

Archit
5 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1148 [5] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Over the past few years, banks have systematically raised [#permalink] New post 24 May 2013, 02:20
This post received
KUDOS
Over the past few years, banks have systematically raised their old fees and invented new ones that are harder and harder for consumers to avoid.

(A) banks have systematically raised their old fees and invented new ones that are harder and harder for consumers to avoid
CORRECT: "have raised" correctly expresses an action that started in the past and continues in the present(or has an effect in the present). "and" connects two parallel actions by the banks that are expresses in the same way, keeping the parallen structure
The sentence is clear
(B) banks are systematically raising their old fees and inventing new ones that become harder and harder for consumers to avoid.
Over the past few years, banks are (...) raising and inventing; is is a wrong usage of the ING form as verb. (the correct verb tense is present perfect: refer to A)
(C) banks systematically raising and inventing new ones make them harder and harder for consumers to avoid
The ING form requires "to be", if used as a verb (like in this case) : "are raising". However the verb tense is wrong (refer to A)
(D) as banks systematically raised their old fees and invented new ones, avoiding them becomes harder and harder for consumers
My main point to eliminate D is "avoiding". As an "COMMA + ING" it modifies the preceding clause.
When you find a construct like this keep in mind this rule: ", + ING" refers to the preceding clause, it generally expresses a consequence of the previous action or adds information/expalain it, and must "make sense" with the previous subject.
"banks raised (...) avoiding " is wrong
(E) as banks have systematically raised their old fees and invented new ones, it is becoming harder and harder for consumers to avoid them.
What does them refer to? banks or fees? Not clear

Archit143 wrote:

The correct usage of present perfect is
"The present perfect simple expresses an action that is still going on or that stopped recently, but has an influence on the present."

In this case the correct option is the first one.

Keep in mind also that when you specify a time ("last year") you CANNOT use present perfect.
"over the past few years" is not a specified time, and you can use the present perfect with expressions like :never, many times,...

Hope it's clear, let me know

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

VP
VP

Re: Over the past few years, banks have systematically raised [#permalink] New post 24 May 2013, 05:03
+1 to you..Zarrolou...
Great explanation.

Archit
VP
VP

Re: Over the past few years, banks have systematically raised [#permalink] New post 24 May 2013, 08:33
Adding the OA...

Consider kudos if post helps!!!

Archit
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

Re: Over the past few years, banks have systematically raised [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 18:53
I am curious about the verb tense in Choice A:
"Over the past few years, banks have systematically raised their old fees and invented new ones that are harder and harder for consumers to avoid. "

"Invented" here is a past tense or a present perfect? Does "Have" apply to "invented" as well?

There is this problem in Gmatprep where "have" is applied to "seen" as well:
"Visitors to the park have often looked up into the leafy canopy and seen..."

Thank you!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Re: Over the past few years, banks have systematically raised [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 21:45
Archit143 wrote:
I have a doubt in answer choice A...From what i have learned; we cannot use present perfect tense with a time reference, unless since and within are used.
So how can we use here in this context.

Archit

Last year, Archit visited Europe is the correct one, as it is a specific point in time and so the past tense is the correct choice

has visited indicates continuing action, which is illogical in this particular example.

Kudos would be appreciated -:) !

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

Re: Over the past few years, banks have systematically raised [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2014, 14:48
Zarrolou wrote:

CORRECT: "have raised" correctly expresses an action that started in the past and continues in the present(or has an effect in the present). "and" connects two parallel actions by the banks that are expresses in the same way, keeping the parallen structure
The sentence is clear
Over the past few years, banks are (...) raising and inventing; is is a wrong usage of the ING form as verb. (the correct verb tense is present perfect: refer to A)
The ING form requires "to be", if used as a verb (like in this case) : "are raising". However the verb tense is wrong (refer to A)
My main point to eliminate D is "avoiding". As an "COMMA + ING" it modifies the preceding clause.
When you find a construct like this keep in mind this rule: ", + ING" refers to the preceding clause, it generally expresses a consequence of the previous action or adds information/expalain it, and must "make sense" with the previous subject.

Archit143 wrote:

"The present perfect simple expresses an action that is still going on or that stopped recently, but has an influence on the present."

Keep in mind also that when you specify a time ("last year") you CANNOT use present perfect.
"over the past few years" is not a specified time, and you can use the present perfect with expressions like :never, many times,...

Hi Team,
I have a very simple doubt.Please help me to understand.

(A) banks [b]have
systematically raised their old fees and invented new ones that are harder and harder for consumers to avoid

Here "That" are harder is referring to only new ones or both old fees and new ones?
(My question is as per the rule the That refer to close noun)..Please help me..[/b]
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Re: Over the past few years, banks have systematically raised [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2014, 09:23
sanjeebpanda wrote:
Zarrolou wrote:

The sentence is clear

Archit143 wrote:

Hi Team,
I have a very simple doubt.Please help me to understand.

(A) banks [b]have
systematically raised their old fees and invented new ones that are harder and harder for consumers to avoid

Here "That" are harder is referring to only new ones or both old fees and new ones?
(My question is as per the rule the That refer to close noun)..Please help me..[/b]

IMHO, it refers to new ones only, which are described as "harder and harder to avoid".
IMHO, it refers only to the new fes

Kudos would be appreciated -:) !

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Re: Over the past few years, banks have systematically raised [#permalink] New post 10 May 2014, 22:46
Archit143 wrote:

OA will be updated soon....

Archit

Explanation - If one understands the actual meaning it becomes easier to pick the correct answer.
The sentence says that banks raised their old fees and and invented new harder one that in turn harder for customers to avoid. Also since the bank is doing this over a past year we need a present perfect or continuous sentence structure.
Simply go by the intended meaning and you will be able to eliminate options B, C, D, E.
Option though uses the correct sentence structure but the meaning is wrong.
Option A remains. Hence correct.
Hope that helps.
Re: Over the past few years, banks have systematically raised   [#permalink] 10 May 2014, 22:46