Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 06:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

OVERALL SCORE OR QUANT?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

OVERALL SCORE OR QUANT? [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2010, 16:48
I got 710 on my first attempt.

My breakups were 47 in quant and 42 in verbal.

To put in another words, i gave my worst quant performance and best verbal performance.

I am applying to top colleges like oxford,lbs and lse for masters program, if i retake i wud definitely get 49-50 in quant but my verbal score may fall.

Whats better 710 overall or a 680-90 with a better quant score?

Looking forward to your advice.
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 84

Kudos [?]: 470 [0], given: 431

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: OVERALL SCORE OR QUANT? [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2010, 17:24
Expert's post
Which specific Master's programs are you interested in for these schools? LSE, for instance, has so many. And each school's requirements are quite different.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: OVERALL SCORE OR QUANT? [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2010, 17:30
I am looking for general management programs such as msc in mgt and also certain finance programs such as msc in financial eco. at said b school.

Once again:

I know ill do well in quant but shud i give it again?
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 84

Kudos [?]: 470 [0], given: 431

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: OVERALL SCORE OR QUANT? [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2010, 18:25
Expert's post
First, congrats on your score! I forgot to mention this in my previous post. But let's look at each school separately.

Oxford's MFE program specifically states that admissions want a 730 score, along with a strong educational background in math. If you want that program, then it's necessary to score higher on the GMAT, both in verbal and quant.

For LBS, the Masters in Management basically aims for candidates above the 600 mark, though applicants don't want to go that low. The current average is "687 and a GMAT score of 700 and above would make your application more competitive." If we limit ourselves to just the GMAT score, then you're in good shape.

If you meet the various requirements for the LBS finance program, then your score is good here too. Admissions states that a "GMAT score of 650 or above adds weight to an application and a GMAT above 700 will add significant weight." This program, though, is extremely competitive.

LSE is trickier to determine. It's finance program is very competitive (2.6 percent acceptance rate), so you'll need more than a good GMAT score to get accepted. But a 710 is solid. I'm not familiar with this school's management programs (there are at least seven of them), so I can't provide a reliable answer. But, again, your 710 should be seen as an asset.

My general advice is that your score is acceptable for LBS and LSE, but insufficient for Oxford's MFE. Unless you have your heart set on Oxford, it might be best to focus on the other two schools. Keep in mind, though, that you'll need to offer the whole package to these universities. So, put all your effort into the essays, recommendation letters, and other facets of your application.

Also search these forums to see if there's anything or anyone helpful:
the-b-school-application-canada-south-america-asia-australia-and-europe-106/
masters-of-science-programs-ms-148/

Good luck! :)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 53

GMAT Tests User
Re: OVERALL SCORE OR QUANT? [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2010, 17:52
ankitdaga14,

If I were you I would work on other parts of my application (recommendations, quality of work experience, any extraordinary achievements, any papers you might have presented or any articles you might have written).

If you like my post please click +1 kudos on my profile - Thank you!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Losing Motivation? Michael Jordan | Nick Vujicic | Adversity
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: OVERALL SCORE OR QUANT?   [#permalink] 16 Aug 2010, 17:52