Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 10:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Overcoming Test Anxiety

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Overcoming Test Anxiety [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 14:53
Hi everyone!

I have been viewing this forum for awhile now but have yet to post. I do not know how I would have begun to prep without this forum, so thank you for all of the advice/insight! I have read a couple posts about test anxiety, but does anyone experience it to the point where their mind goes completely blank? I took the LSAT a couple years ago and my score dramatically dropped on test day due to severe anxiety (not once, but twice). I am very nervous that this will happen again when I take the GMAT in June.

Any ideas? Any advice is appreciated!!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 13

Re: Overcoming Test Anxiety [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 15:38
This post received
KUDOS
If you have had adequate preparation then you should have no reason to be worried. I know its tough, that's also why its so important to simulate actual test day during your preparation. Everything should feel comfortable and the same to you as if you were taking one of your practice tests. On the day of the test, do things that soothe you (music, reading, a familiar tv show, a job, etc.) and try not to get hyped up. Also remember that the LSAT was a different test on a different day, and make it as indepedent as you can from your upcoming gmat test
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 82

Re: Overcoming Test Anxiety [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 15:56
The GMAT scores do not make you become better or worse; they are just scores... Do not think that you must reach 700+ bla bla but that you must try your best. Keep cool and good luck.

Kudos!!!... If you think I help you in some ways....

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 122

Kudos [?]: 603 [1] , given: 114

Re: Overcoming Test Anxiety [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 18:03
This post received
KUDOS
Test anxiety is VERY normal. There is only ONE thing on test day that you can't control, and that is the test itself. A great way to overcome testing anxiety is to MASTER every other aspect other than the test. This might seem intuitive, but many people forget how important this is. For instance, visit your testing center, do practice tests under timed condition, same day, time of day, with AWA, etc... practice with your meals, wear earplugs, visualize success, etc... Once you've studied, the only thing you can do is perform your best on test day.

Check these two posts to help:

Good luck!

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Overcoming Test Anxiety [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2012, 21:25
Completely agree with Hellscream, you should not focus on what the end result would be. You should focus on having the test completed calmly and accurately. This would automatically get the best scores.
Re: Overcoming Test Anxiety   [#permalink] 29 Apr 2012, 21:25